StP Fall Gathering 2009 | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

StP Fall Gathering 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NickCofphee

well, this is sounding pretty good. if all works out, i should have a school bus ready by then, and i can help nickcofe set up.

my question about slab city is... how would the residents feel about a bunch of random kids showing up and having a party in their town? would they be pissed?

It is out in the middle of the desert, there's a shitload of room. We could set up our own little camp area so as not to disturb anyone too much. This is an openminded place where people are living for free anyway. Plus, if they're tolerating tweekers (apparently), how could they mind a few trainhopping punk kids?

how about this... april gathering on the west coast and october gathering on the east coast? there are quite a few people who use STP that are east coasters (myself excluded since I live smack dab in the middle) ... seems unfair to leave out the east coasters... plus... the east coast has many places that would be very amazing to hold a gathering of this sort... abandoned places, mountains, beaches, etc.

I'm not against that if you know of a specific spot and are willing to set it up. I'm still going with Slab City. It'll be dry, warm, and we won't have to deal with cops whatsoever. That's my vote. Anyone else?

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
I have always wanted to check out the slabs, so I'm down with that I guess. But it might be better to explore other options. I just feel like...I don't know. Like we'd be invading their space, and other squatters are the only people whose space I feel really bad about invading. Could somebody talk to some people that live up there, who know the lay of the land and the whole politics of the place better?

I also think it's only fair that one of these happens on the east coast. It's not fair to all the new england hobos to have everything over here.

stove

Reaction score
It might be a bit cold that late in the year, but I know plenty of wilderness spots all over New England where we could get together. I don't know about access via rails, but I know Burlington, Someville, Portland, Manchvegas, and Upstate NY have spots, and decent access.

Just my input...Not sure that I'd be able to go anyways.

I

IBRRHOBO

If ya'll want to chat up w/some folks permanent in Slab City, I'll run down a number from a miner buddy of mine I used to camp w/there. Someone else will have to do the legwork though. I'll cosign the intro.

As to the east coast, if ya'll decide to come out this way, I can probably do most of the legwork, organization, etc. as I am permanetly based here. If that does occur have the powers-that-be contact me and I'll make sure to put togather some good southern hospitatlity. In my region, there's two major interstates and two train companies; I-40/I-75 and CSX/NS respectively. The region could probably support 40 - 60 for a week or so before the law pulled their hair out. Lots of mountains, lakes, etc. all close to the tracks, too. Catch out park (Spring Hill Park) is legal to gather so u have the trains to watch, bbq pits, shelters and tons of area to camp and within 1 mile of sign/spanging. Beer and liquor is w/in 1/4 mile. City bus w/in 3 blocks.

Let me know and I'll post some pix to give a better perspective if this is a possibility. Some are on my album about c/o in knoxville.

Good Hunting!:crew:

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
Personally I am all in favor of having the fall gathering, if it is to occur, on the east coast or southeast US. I would definately be willing to help with the organization as I am usually in KY for the winters. I think it would be great to see what kind o0f interest we have from the east coasters... so...

EAST COASTERS: What do you think?

IBRR: I'm thinking of a little place called Land Between the Lakes... The P&L runs right by it.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
well damn. personally i think somewhere in the middle of the country would be nice. then east coasters and west coasters could have equal chance of going. I'll have a vehicle by october too so i can car pool! lol how about it arrow? you, bolt, dirty feet and me can go on a road trip lol

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i like nola, but i don't think we have anybody there that we could heavily rely on for finding a location and organization.

Dameon

Reaction score
I just went through Slab City, and it was pretty nice. It would be a good place for a gathering, since Niland is only a few miles away and an easy walk, and hitching there is pretty easy. There's lots of places in Niland that accept food stamps, so we can get food and water there, and Slab City is a really cool place to chill out.

ianfernite

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I would definitely do my best to attend. I'll actually be on the road by then, so I'll be able to!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
is there anyone that would be willing to help organize this event? i was thinking about starting a social group for organizing this.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i can do my best to help but i'm on the road and i dont think i can get on here very often. i know i can help with food support.

ianfernite

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I am willing to help, but I'm not sure what I could do.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
well, what we're looking for really is someone willing to be the main organizer. i can't do it right now because of the bus and punk planet stuff im working on (although ill do anything i can to help, including showing up with food/water/supplies and a school bus). so we need someone *somewhere* that wants to make this their mission in life for a few months hehe...

NickCofphee might take up the role and do it in slab city, im still waiting to hear back from him. im open to an east coast gathering as well, we just need someone that lives in the east coast to help organize it.

N

NickCofphee

is there anyone that would be willing to help organize this event? i was thinking about starting a social group for organizing this.

Yes. Will be stationary for all of the fall about 30 miles from the Salton Sea/Slab City. I'm doing research for it very soon to check out spots.

Go ahead and start a group for it. Woo hoo!

N

NickCofphee

im open to an east coast gathering as well, we just need someone that lives in the east coast to help organize it.

I never thought of that! Make two gatherings, might as well. Just make sure they're on two different dates in case someone would want to hit up both.

hassysmacker

Reaction score
while im totally down for an east coast gathering as I live in NY (althouhg way too busy to be an organizer), if you do do it at ther slabs, instead of pooping outside, you guys could set up guerilla composting toilets in buckets with sawdust, (its a little more intricate than that but totally easy and diy-able)!

no it would be neat and respectful, and would over the course of the year develop into nutrient rich humanure compost for gardening!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i think we should leave it at just one gathering per coast right now and see how it goes. it's still early!

and i completely agree with hassymacker, i think compost toilets are not only essential, but more comfortable and it'll teach people about humanure perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads