Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
well, it's been mentioned before, but we never really hashed it out, which is why im starting a new thread for it here.

the spring stp gathering coming up in april is well on it's way, with what looks like is going to be a big turnout. so, some have discussed making the stp gatherings happen twice a year, which i think would be neat because there's not really any other gatherings that i can think of that do that... so, someone threw out the idea of having it every six months, which would basically set each gathering in april and october.

so, what i would like to ask people, is where would be a good location for the fall gathering if we were to do something like this? id like it to be somewhere in the south, where it would be warmer in october, but besides that, im pretty open to ideas. it would also be helpful if there were people in the area to help organize the gathering (like widerstand & arrowinore in oregon for the april gathering).

so yeah, this is just an idea, and an attempt to probe if this is possible, or if people would be interested, and finally, to see if we can find a location that would be appropriate.

some ideas off the top of my head (keep in mind i haven't been to any of these yet):

slab city
salton sea abandoned hotels
fort ord abandoned military base
austin, tx

....that's all i got for the moment, so yeah, gimme some suggestions!

UPDATE!

hey everyone, we've created a "group" to discuss and organize the fall gathering, so go here for further discussion/info:

http://squattheplanet.com//grou...all-fest-2009/

just so things don't get confused, im closing this thread. go to the link above and lets continue the discussion!

Labea

Reaction score
Widerstand said:
Well there is a fair amount of planning that goes into this and I know I am only up for 1 a year so someone else would have to do it.

thats the spirit! im only fucking with you, but i like the idea, considering you guys are havin the spring gathering, well, in the spring.

N

NickCofphee

If we have it in Slab City, or the Salton Sea abandoned hotels, I can help out with that. I grew up about 50 miles from there. Never been, but I can help people with directions (hitching and train), bus info, and help setting it up. This is if you are coming from the east, from LA, you'll pass right through my hometown. And I'm going to be stationary during this time, at least in SoCal, going to school. So I'll be close to help out.

The only downside I can see to Slab City is that it's a little less direct to get to than Portland will be. Trains go...through there, or close. I-10 goes close, then there's a 25 mile hitch. But it's not anything you can't get to in one day from LA. And if you're coming from Arizona or San Diego, it's even easier to get to.

So, Slab City sounds good to me! Let's see where the input goes and if anybody has any other ideas of places to host.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Can a person or group of 50 just show up in these places over two days, and congregate for three days?
I'm partial to something near a city, but that's my whole life, I don't mind the change toward remoteness for something unusual.

I

IBRRHOBO

I've done some time @ Slab City back when I was running wire for Art Bell (C2CAM). They actually have a site now, WWW.SLABCITY.ORG.

Now, I've never done an StP Gathering w/ya'll, but I would figure that logistically it would be similar to a Rainbow Gathering. If you're gonna go remote like Slab City you better prepare, in advance, for the food, clothing, latrines, etc. Niland used to be the closest area to supply up. The reality is this: unless some of ya have vehicles, a human being can only carry so much weight. Critical is water! And the High Desert, sepecially in October, is pretty unforgiving! I'd also put out some feelers to Lenny or the organization down there. Be aware that there is a pretty heavy concentration of Christianity down there. Not that it's right or wrong, just saying that it's something to realize. I did some 'dry panning' and lode tracking there on Salvation Mtn. and found some encouraging results for those of ya that track gold.

I'm out here in TN, but if I can help w/anything, l;et me know!

I

IBRRHOBO

ArrowInOre said:
Ewww christians, is there no mercy for the non believer...J/K By the way.

IBRR, no offense, but the StP thing ain't shit like the rainbow. I think that we would have to search rather high and low to find enough dirty kids to even come close to the numbers I have seen at a national..35,000 hippies is one thing, but 35,000 drunk, tired, dirty kids, locals would think it was Armageddon, LOL

I meant in the concept that x amount of people gather @ y location. Yeah, I did legal liaison work for the Family back in the 90's when they fought 36 CFR 251. Drafted the briefs against M. Connelly the Forest Service administrative promulgator. We won and then the issue of 'autonomus' non-leadership objected to the case I cited. So, I said fuck 'em and went my own way! That's why they have to file for permit now! (Good story I'll tell u one day, me all pimped up in a suit and tie arguing a brief in US District Court, pro se, against the USDA, US Forest Service, et al.!)

I was just bringing up the logistical nightmare @ Slab City. Portland is one thing as there are services all around, but when u address the simple issue say of 30 - 40 folks taking a shit twice a day, cleaning dishes, disposing of trash for say 3 - 4 days it gets complicated w/o even water. Can be done, just that it's not like ur using a PuR fileter as there's no water there and the snowbirds aren't gonna front any water either.

Now, you could take the initiative and make contact, funnel some cash to a person down there w/a vehicle and haul in 55 gal drums of H2O and probably b ok. And ur GONNA need the H2O if for no other reason than dehydration from booze in the desert.

N

NickCofphee

Can a person or group of 50 just show up in these places over two days, and congregate for three days?
I'm partial to something near a city, but that's my whole life, I don't mind the change toward remoteness for something unusual.

I've never been to Slab City, but I don't think there would be a problem whatsoever. It's basically a legal, makeshift town that you can squat in from all I know. And it's pretty remote, hardly a "city" at all.

Now, you could take the initiative and make contact, funnel some cash to a person down there w/a vehicle and haul in 55 gal drums of H2O and probably b ok.
I'll be local then. I would say in all likelihood I could get a vehicle for a trip. I know enough people with cars that I could pay gas, shit maybe even borrow a car for a few days.

Also (assuming this thing's going to happen), I'd more than appreciate a bit of help. Whoever can come down early, I'll give you a place to camp near Palm Springs (I already found a sick place to pitch a tent for fall semester. Sweet!) and you can shower at my school, show places to dumpster, city feeds, etc.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
Why wouldn't ya? I'll make my way there a week or so before

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
well, this is sounding pretty good. if all works out, i should have a school bus ready by then, and i can help nickcofe set up.

my question about slab city is... how would the residents feel about a bunch of random kids showing up and having a party in their town? would they be pissed?

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
I suppose that would be sort of imposing but I think if we were respectful that it wouldn't be an issue. I read a little on their website and it says that the main problem with people coming out is them shitting on the ground everywhere. It's actually a pretty hilarious description, in a sad way:

----------
Slab City is not set up to handle all those people pooping all over the place. If you wander around behind Poverty Flats, where most of the tent activity takes place, you better be careful where you walk. The whole area is like a giant poop museum, because human waste does not decompose very fast in the dry conditions that exist in the desert. The whole area is littered with white clumps of toilet paper and crap piles, left behind by losers who have no regard for the law.
----------
(from Slab City webstie)

Well, I may be a loser, and I may have no regard for the law, and this statement may be highly contested, but I do consider myself to have a sense of common decency. I say if we go we rig up a compost toilet for us all to shit in while we're there (all it takes is a 55-gal bucket and some fine wood shavings, a big bush to put it behind is a plus too).

Maybe we should contact the people that are there somehow and let them know what is up and that we'd keep the place clean. Haven't they had the hitchhiker gathering there? And if you have a school bus Matt that would be pretty useful for hauling lots of water and above said poop jug (with a tightly fitting lid).

I don't know exactly what I'll be doing next fall but if I can swing it I'd come down early to help out setting it up (and disposing of the poop jug). Isn't American Apparel HQ in LA?

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Widerstand said:
I would be if I were them...

Wouldn't you be pissed if someone hijacked your place for a party?

They can go either way, depending on how people behave. Slab City is very use to a very transitory population coming through, especially in the winter months. Yes, there's been hitchhiker gatherings there before. Like Mack's was saying though, they have a bathroom problem out behind poverty flats. For slab city to work as a potential location I think at least a couple of vehicles would need to be attending to bring in water and bathroom facilities. The nearest town is Niland which is several miles away and there's not much there, so anything that isn't brought in is not easily gotten. As far as I know there's no way to directly contact the folks at slab city, since that website only represents a small portion of their people.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
A friend of mine was in Slab City a few months ago, said it was full of meth heads.

Is there anyplace nowdays that isn't full of those? I think anyplace even remotely near civilization that is receptive to a large group coming in is going to potentially have some of those problems. Lots of nice places out in the national forests though, we could always do like the rainbows or mutant fest and scout places in the woods but of course their alot harder for folks hitching or riding trains to get into those places.

dime

Reaction score
Website
www.piradicalproductions.com
Is there anyplace nowdays that isn't full of those? I think anyplace even remotely near civilization that is receptive to a large group coming in is going to potentially have some of those problems. Lots of nice places out in the national forests though, we could always do like the rainbows or mutant fest and scout places in the woods but of course their alot harder for folks hitching or riding trains to get into those places.

off topic but thanks for the pack

Reactions: wokofshame

severegout

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ethernet.org
how about this... april gathering on the west coast and october gathering on the east coast? there are quite a few people who use STP that are east coasters (myself excluded since I live smack dab in the middle) ... seems unfair to leave out the east coasters... plus... the east coast has many places that would be very amazing to hold a gathering of this sort... abandoned places, mountains, beaches, etc.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
sweet idea, I'd love to do it in the wooded foothills somewhere - around that time of year would be sweet to watch the leaves changing in the woods out there too.

i think i'm headed that way in the fall anyhow

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
I think slab city would be a good one, oregon would be cold, texas hurricane season if not already happening in the works I think that the abandoned military base would be exciting though. either way wherever it is Ill be there. Great idea whoever came up with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads