2015 Jamboree - StP Dirty Scouts Jamboree; Slab City, CA - Oct 1st-4th 2015 | Page 5 | Squat the Planet

2015 Jamboree StP Dirty Scouts Jamboree; Slab City, CA - Oct 1st-4th 2015

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2015 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I wonder where the nearest money making is, calipatria? there's a walmart down there, I wonder if its possible to top off one's reserves of human/dog food and cooking fuel/gasoline.
Anyone ever have any luck getting provisions nearby to the slabs?

that or brawley maybe? keep in mind this area is one of the poorest counties in California. If you already have money or food stamps most everything you need can be gotten from the grocery store in niland which is 3 miles away from the slabs.

Reactions: Dmac

that one guy

Playful asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Holey shit it was hot there, 120°/105° shade and 95 most of the night.
I couldn't sleep, eat build shelter or drink my water (it had all heated up to about 150)
Had to run the fuck away, thinking I'm gonna go and kill a month on the sur coast swimming in the ocean.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Holey shit it was hot there, 120°/105° shade and 95 most of the night.
I couldn't sleep, eat build shelter or drink my water (it had all heated up to about 150)
Had to run the fuck away, thinking I'm gonna go and kill a month on the sur coast swimming in the ocean.

um... yeah, you're in the desert in august. also, im pretty sure i warned folks about the heat in the first post...

things will cool down drastically by the end of september.

4t7

Reaction score
So...like anybody and everybody is invited to this meetup?

Never really knew about slab city before. Just watched that video in op and a couple others on youtube. Shit is pretty interesting to say the least though. Really suprised Big Bro has allowed this type of place to live on like it has for the past couple of decades honestly. Definitely wanna check it out [emoji41]

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
So...like anybody and everybody is invited to this meetup?

nope, only the most elite of the most dirty, filthy, crust ladenist, hobos should even attempt the journey.

i'm kidding. of course everyone is welcome! except cops.

i can't promise it'll be the next burning man, but if we get about 30 people there this year it'll be damn good time. we got the slabs which are pretty mind blowing if you've never been, and we're showing movies and telling stories and drinking beer and all that good junk :)

Reactions: 4t7

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
speaking of which, we're about 30 days away from the event, so if anyone would like to share any ideas, i'm all ears. right now we have 1-2 movies to watch at the theater at night, hanging around drinking and telling stories, i'll might do a tour of the slabs with people if they're interested, and I'm planning on recording an episode of the StP podcast there as well.

Reactions: Mongo
T

Toasty Tramp

A potluck would be sweet.
As would a proper bonfire and live music. I'll have the guitar, but I'm no good :p
Beer pong tourney?
I also say we put together a formal "event" for folk trying to find road dogs and rides.

A tour would be sweet, btw. I'd totally be down :D

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Beer pong tourney?
I also say we put together a formal "event" for folk trying to find road dogs and rides.

ah, i'm sure folks can socialize enough on their own to find travel partners and rides, although if we do have a lot of people there we could have a signup sheet for who's going where and how.

ha i think beer pong is a little too frat for this type of event.

Reactions: EphemeralStick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Open mic?

definitely, there will be people bringing a few instruments, and 'the range' has open mic on their stage in slab city every friday night!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
definitely, there will be people bringing a few instruments, and 'the range' has open mic on their stage in slab city every friday night!

oh, by the way, it's been pointed out to me that the open mic night at The Range has been moved to Saturdays!

RovingGale

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I'm highly considering coming, unless a gig gets thrown in my lap that week or my truck breaks down. I'd be coming from San Francisco and I'll probably have room for for one other person (assuming someone I like enough to let in my house needs a lift :p). If I show up, I'll have my tiny kalimba and a shit ton of anarchist folk songs for jamming, but, as in all things, we won't know if it will be until I get there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads