1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Event StP Dirty Scouts Jamboree; Slab City, CA - Oct 1st-4th 2015

Discussion in 'Events / Gatherings / Festivals' started by Matt Derrick, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
    Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    City:
    Cle Elum
    State:
    WA
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +7,621 / -49
    The 2015 Jamboree has ended! Thank you all for attending, we had fucking kick ass time!

For those curious about the event, or who want to re-live the memories, check out my write up of the event (with pics!): https://squattheplanet.com/fest/2015/page-9#post-187231

Also, check out the wonderful pictures posted here, and here!

Would you like to join the discussion for next year's event? CLICK HERE!

Squat the Planet is having it's first official meetup in several years in the infamous squatter town of Slab City, California! The meet up officially starts October 1st, and will run throughout the weekend.

tanks_pano.

This year's gathering is taking the form of a loose meet up, where folks are encouraged to bring any skills they're interested in teaching others or just come to share stories, a few drinks, and enjoy all there is to do in the Slab City area. This is going to be a rare opportunity to hang out and get to know a lot of the people from the StP website in real life, and possibly find others to travel with after the event.

librarycollage.

Cornelius, curator of the Slab City library has been kind enough to offer to host this year's StP gathering at the beautiful Slab City library located right next to the canal (so it'll be easy to beat the heat)!

As a thank you, we're asking that anyone attending the event this year bring at least one quality book to donate to the library. Think of it as paying the price of admission; although we won't be turning anyone away, the library could really use your donation to bring it back to it's former glory!

For those that don't know, the Library in Slab City was a place where folks could leave books and take books for the whole Slab community. Unfortunately after the original owner passed away, it went neglected for quite a long time, until Cornelius and friends came along, and they've been hard at work rebuilding it, so if you can help out in some way while you're there, please do!

slabcollage.

If you've never heard of Slab City before, it's an area of southern California that was formerly a military base, but now exists as a popular snowbird retreat. It has as few as 100 residents in the summer and as high as 1100+ during the winter. Portions of the military base still exist as concrete foundations that give the Slabs it's name. It's located next to the Chocolate Mountains Aerial Gunnery Range, which often puts on quite a show at night (and sometimes during the day) as the military performs practice maneuvers and drops various kinds of ordinance throughout the fenced off area. You can often see (and feel) the bombs going off between the Slabs and the Chocolate Mountains in the distance.

There's a decent amount of things to do and places to explore throughout Slab City, including "The Range" run by Builder Bill, who puts on a life open mic night each Friday of the week. This is often the best opportunity to mingle and meet other folks in the Slabs all in one place. In addition to local bands, it's not unusual for bands from as far as Los Angeles and San Diego to occasionally show up.

saltonsea.

Slab City is also home to the infamous Salvation Mountain, a huge mural painted around "The Tanks", it's own hot springs, and a decent sized piece of desert to explore around it. Within driving range is the Glamis sand dunes, the mud pots, and all kinds of exploration opportunities around the Salton Sea.

Awesome! I'm sold! How do I get there!?!

The closest town to Slab City is Niland, which is on the 111 highway, approximately 36 miles north of El Centro, California. Niland is a three mile walk from the Slabs. It's not difficult, and 90% of the time if a slabber sees you walking along the road and they have room, you'll get picked up.

By Car: If you're coming via San Diego or from the East, you should take the I-8 freeway to El Centro, then head north on the 111 highway. If you're coming from Los Angeles, you should take the I-10 freeway east to the 111 south. Northeast, you should come via highway 78.

By Bus: The closest you can get to Slab City via Greyhound is El Centro.

By Train: A north/south bound UP train actually goes right through Niland, but almost 90% of the time it doesn't stop there or anywhere near it, it just goes right through. Best bet would be to make your way to Indio, hop off there and hitch the remaining distance to Niland. If someone can provide more detail on this, please let me know.

El Centro actually has a daily metro bus that goes to Niland for the amazing price of $1. So if you're hitching, that dollar will save you quite a bit of distance. Unfortunately it only leaves once every few hours between 5:45am and 8:45pm.

What do I need to bring?
    • At least one book for the library (bring more if you can)!
    • The usual travel gear, pack, sleeping bag, etc...
    • A hammock/tent will probably be extremely useful.
    • Water! Bring at least a gallon or two. You can refill water in Niland.
    • Food! So you don't starve.
    Where can I get supplies?
    • The nearest grocery store is in Niland (a three mile walk from the slabs).
    • The only gas station in Niland has a spigot in the back you can use to refill water, although you should put some change in their donation jar if you can. You can also buy filtered water for $0.25/gal (bring a container) at the grocery store.
    What else should I know?

I'm not sure! Since we're announcing this so early we're still working everything out. If you have any ideas, suggestions, or questions, post them here and we'll address them the best we can. Now go tell your friends!

https://squattheplanet.com/fest/

If you're attending, please RSVP with a comment below so we can get an idea of how many people to expect!

Niland to Library Map:

In case there's any confusion about where to go, this map shows how to walk from the main drag of Niland to the Library in the Slabs!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nil...c6cd8!2m2!1d-115.5188756!2d33.2400366!1m0!3e2

Lizard Tree LIbrary Video:

This video is by Cornelius and is mainly about the people in slab city, but there's some really good video of the library as well. Worth watching if you've never been to the slabs before and would like to know what to expect.

Update 7-13-15: The folks behind Riding the Highline are coming out to show off their 16 minute train hopping film! You can find the full details in this post.

Update 9-17-15: We're getting really close now! It's been pointed out to me that the open mic night at The Range will not be on Friday night but rather Saturday night, just FYI!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 17
    • Epic Epic x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    #1 Matt Derrick, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. sandpaper cowboy

sandpaper cowboy the fool

Achievements:
    space cadet
    City:
    Pensacola
    State:
    FL
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +135 / -2
    I may actually be there for this.
    Maybe organize a line dance or two.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Andrea Van Scoyoc

Andrea Van Scoyoc Sock Monkey Queen

Achievements:
    Yogini, Scavenger, Greenie, Activist
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +892 / -3
    I so wish I could attend. Whoever goes, have fun for me and think of me!

• Like Like x 2
  4. EphemeralStick

EphemeralStick Dusty Lil Van 'Mo
    Staff Member Moderator

Achievements:
    City:
    Austin
    State:
    TX
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,483 / -9
    Can't wait to see all of ya there! I know I'm going

• Like Like x 3
  5. tobepxt

tobepxt Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    traveller, photographer, musician.
    City:
    Chattanooga
    State:
    TN
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +326 / -0
    i hate having a job... im going to stop that as soon as possible and get back on the road...

• Like Like x 5
  6. OP
    OP
    Matt Derrick

Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    City:
    Cle Elum
    State:
    WA
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +7,621 / -49
    fuck yea it's gonna be a good time! also, its not dead fest is going to be a week later in LA and the lineup is retarded awesome

• Like Like x 3
  7. oldcoyote

oldcoyote is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +17 / -0
    "I'm almost definitely going to be there" is as close to a promising "absolutely" as I like to give, since I'm generally pretty open to changing whatever plans I have while I'm traveling, but let's face it - this is probably not an event to be missed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MolotovMocktail

MolotovMocktail Subverting from within
    Staff Member Moderator

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Artist, Mischief-maker, Traveler
    Ratings:
    +1,131 / -5
    October is still pretty far away and I have no idea what the future holds for me but I'm going to try my best to make it because it sounds like it's going to be awesome. Hope to see you all there!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rolling Blackouts

Rolling Blackouts Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Eco Freak
    City:
    Santa Cruz
    State:
    CA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +112 / -1
    Dang, I could potentially make this. I'd be pretty excited to meet a lot of the friendly voices on here.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Durp

Durp Sir Posts a Lot

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    general hustler
    City:
    Everett
    State:
    WA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +580 / -6
    If enough of ya all can make it out, may have to come out. If one where to drive, would a subcompact car be doomed to being sucked in to the sand, or is there some semblance of roads?

• Like Like x 2
    #10 Durp, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  11. Rolling Blackouts

Rolling Blackouts Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Eco Freak
    City:
    Santa Cruz
    State:
    CA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +112 / -1
    So after consulting my partner and our dog, we'll definitely make it out there. It was a toss-up between Slabs and Wasteland Weekend. We're coming from Santa Cruz, CA.

• Like Like x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    Matt Derrick

Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    City:
    Cle Elum
    State:
    WA
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +7,621 / -49
    just about any car will be fine in the slabs, you just can't take them off road any more than you would anywhere else :p

for example, the tanks have dirt roads going to them, but they're probably too sandy for most cars. the rest of the slabs has dirt or paved roads from when it was still a military base.

13. OP
    OP
    Matt Derrick

Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    City:
    Cle Elum
    State:
    WA
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +7,621 / -49
    glad to hear it! it's gonna be a damn good time.

14. landpirate

landpirate C.U.N.T (campervan untilising nomadic traveller)
    Staff Member Moderator

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    scavenger/pirate/rum taster/occasional farm monkey
    Ratings:
    +1,476 / -4
    I'd better start looking at flights! :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Kal

Kal Can't get enough of the site

Achievements:
    traveling
    City:
    Atlanta
    State:
    GA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +832 / -3
    Still hear in Oregon and the going has been slow as I have been doing more walking than I have been riding. But Oct is a long ways off so I should be able to make it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Durp

Durp Sir Posts a Lot

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    general hustler
    City:
    Everett
    State:
    WA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +580 / -6
    Idk if I will be there now, its a toss up between this and secret plans I can not divulge via interwebs for the same time frame....

17. Wanderingfkit

Wanderingfkit Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Dude seriously fuck a job
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +29 / -9
    Im headed to SF now so ill be there in OCT. :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Durp

Durp Sir Posts a Lot

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    general hustler
    City:
    Everett
    State:
    WA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +580 / -6
    Edit do to life being a toss up shot show at the moment.

#18 Durp, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  19. creature

creature Completely Addicted
    Lifetime Supporter

Achievements:
    good question.
    City:
    Santa Cruz
    State:
    NM
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,294 / -11
    no promises, as of yet.. but..

re-rigging the van, this weekend..
    if i'm still in this fucking hell-hole come the end of september (a possibility, if the boss & i can resolve our present shit-throw), i'd be leaving, right around then, i suspect..

the present manifestation of the van's interior is a lot more ass-space, so it may be possible to gather folks up.

i'm after a fucking boat, so i will effectively have *zero* to lay down for fuel for any of the various excursions required.. if folks want to jug & busk, we'll do ok, & as long as there's fuel, i can make runs..

this is just a possibility, not a plan..
    if plan 'A' comes through.. well.. that becomes a whole 'nother existence..

anyways.. if i'm in cali when the time comes, i suspect i can be of use, regardless..

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kate Westcoast

Kate Westcoast Celebrated Poster

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Food Redistributer
    City:
    Chilliwack
    State:
    BC
    View on map:
    My Website(s):