So, whose into anarchism/permaculture/primitive skills/anarchism/fermentation... | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

So, whose into anarchism/permaculture/primitive skills/anarchism/fermentation...

uncivilize

Reaction score
There are ways you can go to some primitive skills gatherings for free if you know their "system." (If you know, don't post it in the open). Just don't be an asshole and eat the food, get food stamps or something and pack your own in. The people who paid and made it possible for the event to take place at the very least deserve to eat enough.

uncivilize

Reaction score
wtf, you can't edit? oh well.

There's elitism anywhere you go, but all in all, the folks at the gathering are there to share skills, many out of a desire to help others reconnect and return to a healthier way of living, some are just trying to make a living, but it's definitely a good experience for those interested in learning. Don't forget, there can be additional materials fees, as little as a couple bucks, and I've seen it as high as $100 for a bow.

christa

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I just recently tried to ferment cabbage (kimchi) and my cabbage molded in five days! realized that you have to have the liquid above the cabbage or it will mold.
Also I understand that going to a skill share would be an amazing thing but I have met several people traveling that are into permaculture, fermintation, brewing... and are more than willing to share their skills. There are also tons of books on these topics and if you have access to internet tons of tutorial videos too. I would agree that 200 dollars is a lot to save up and to blow on less than a week camp out but i believe there are definate ways around it. Doesn't this topic revolve around being self sufficient and DIY? Some of the best home brewers I know are self taught and had to go through a lot of trial and error to figure out their best recipies. What I'm saying is you don't have to go through a camp or skill share to get a basic knowledge of these topics. I would much prefer to spend my money on equipment for brewing or fermentation than a camp (although a skill share would be awesome!)

christa

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I also understand the fustration of traveling for miles and not meeting any kids who's lives don't revolve around drinking and getting fucked up. But at the same time I sympathize because the way kids are growing up today is fucked up and alcoholism and narcotic abuse is widespread and is a disease, and should be treated as such. I feel that a lot of the kids I've met that have fit this scumbag stereotype would be into healthy diy projects if exposed, but have also deep seeded issues that prevent them from doing such.

uncivilize

Reaction score
I feel that a lot of the kids I've met that have fit this scumbag stereotype would be into healthy diy projects if exposed, but have also deep seeded issues that prevent them from doing such.

My ultimate goal is reach out to kids like that, but also anyone else whose finances are an obstacle to learning these skills.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
I'm very interested to see an end to the unsustainable, destructive, Civilized way that has been overrunning and decimating this planet. I'm not so interested in learning the skills for creating a sustainable, harmonious world after The Fall.
Anyone can check through some of my posts under threads of this subject to get a sense of my perspective. I like chess and strategy, not gardening; I'm interested in guns, but not primitive tracking and hunting.

I have met some people more or less like-minded, and would be happy to do so again. I go all around the country, but I'm not online too much these days, so you can PM me a phone number (or an email, which I use more often than STP), and I'll get in touch with you.

hassysmacker

Reaction score
Well, ya know Captain, I respect that completely. For myself, I am incredibly interested in both! We all have talents, and they can all be used. In the fight against civilization, we really do need it all. People bringing it down, and the people dedicated to figuring out how humans CAN live in touch with our landbase again. So, follow what calls you!

Kalalau

Reaction score
hmm... I guess I'm not into either. But I do like chess. I don't have much of an interest in ending our destructive society, and I'm not so interested in the survival techniques after the fall. But I do like making my own kimchee, and I do like tempeh. If I am into hunting and gardening it has nothing to do with society at all, but my own selfish self indulgence. I do conservation work as a volunteer, but that's because I love the place, and I like projects. Not for some ethical reason. I also feel like I'm taking a big bite, but not so much that I can't chew.

I'm not a follower of Jesus, or Buddha or Lao Tzu, or arjuna..., but I like what these guys did, and I try to do what they did, for the reasons that they did what they did. Even if my action is totally different.. I'd hate do die for an idea, but wouldn't mind dying doing the right thing in the right place at the right time. Ideas are like money, they're transient, and based on faith.... and lord knows we've got enough transients around here..

Gingerbeer plant is sort of like a kombucha plant, and has nothing to do with ginger beer. (a poor name in my opinion)...
I'm thinking that every hobo ought to know how to make hooch... for 6 bucks in food stamps it's 5 gallons of wine... a person could travel the country and set up batches along the way... and party all the way back through.... I've got 5 gallons waiting for me when I get home.

hassysmacker

Reaction score
huh what? gingerbeer plant? kombucha plant?! these things ain't plants! they're respectively a ginger bug (which is bubbly fermented ginger root sugar water g. beer starter), and kombucha which is a SCOBY (symbioptic colony of bacteria and yeast) and it sort of looks like a jellyfish a little.

and ya know, its fine that you're just into these things for the sake of being into them as how-to things, not with a larger ideological framework around it having to do with being anti civilization,

i, definitely do have that framework though!

Kalalau

Reaction score
..... I'm pretty sure about the gingerbeer plant..

but I messed up on the kombucha plant.... it must be an animal because it has babies.. or it's actually a CHUD (cannibalistic human underground... wait a minute)
wrong acronym same intention.

seems like a lot of it has misleading labels

anne

Reaction score
Website
mobilecondo.blogspot.com
I'm into most things relating to sustainable living and self-sufficiency. I have at least a general interest in most of the things mentioned here, except fermentation because I don't eat/drink/buy salt, milk, alcohol, grains or refined sugar. Although, eventually I might like to learn how to make apple cider vinegar for hair conditioner and house cleaning.

My most active interests right now are composting/humanure, rainwater harvesting/greywater recycling, and researching permaculture & aquaponics for when I buy land and can start growing my own food. Living in a truck makes that part sort of difficult right now since there are low light conditions inside and no good places to attach planters or anything like that outside the truck or trailer. If I can find a long term parking spot, hopefully I'll have more options for things like that.

I'd also really like to learn how to make soap from animal fat and ashes.

hassysmacker

Reaction score
For apple cider vinegar, put apple cider in a containter with a cloth over it to keep flies/dust out, open. It will sooner or later turn into aple cider vinegar. Easiest kind of ferment there is.

Awesome thing that your into.

Though I'm interested to know why you won't use salt? Even for probiotic lactoferment making (such as sauerkraut, pickling, etc.)

anne

Reaction score
Website
mobilecondo.blogspot.com
I don't like it because it makes me feel like crap, especially the morning after eating salted food since I'm not used to it. It's like a hangover. So I'm not anti-salt or anything, I'm just personally not into it.

In theory, sauerkraut doesn't sound so bad but I've only tried it once or maybe twice and that was something like 18 years ago.

anyways

Reaction score
(raises hand tentatively)

I have interest in those things, yes. I'd ideally like to travel with books on all the edible shit that grows in all regions of the country, and also learn how to do some urban guerrilla gardening... I also really want to learn to kill and skin and use all parts of animals... Never done more than catch a fish in my life :(

This to me seems problematic because when the system DOES fall in on itself and I'm still around and all I know how to do is live off the waste of society...and society stops producing waste.... I want to know how to survive.

It does my heart good to hear other kids talking about giving a fuck, and wanting to do more than just drink all day every day.
I have yet to meet anyone in real life like that.

...which is probably another reason why I'm so far from where I want to be with my learnings and skills... I've been giving up and getting drunk a lot. :(

I want more.

mandapocalypse

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I want to respond to this thread, but I don't even know where to begin.

Basically, YES.
All aspects of survivalism and being self-sustainable are a the peak of my interests. With perhaps a gloomy outlook, yet desire to perhaps live past the 'apocalypse', actively since I was very young with these thoughts I've been trying to learn every possible skill in preparation.

Lately, with a flourishing garden I've been interested in canning and yes, fermentation!
Herbalism is a knowledge I'm constantly expanding. Modern medicine is unnecessary. Everything we need comes from the earth.

Anarchism, feminism, gender roles, naturalism, environmentalism, TRAVEL.... Rewilding, in both aspects- anarchism & wildlife conservation....

AH ,ALL SO INTERESTING. (and essential to well being!)
Though I have knowledge on these issues I want to know more and will!
More importantly DO more!

You combined a lot of ideas, hassysmacker, ...could easily have conversations for hours and hours on each topic.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads