Santa cruz: | Squat the Planet

Santa cruz:

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
hell yeah santa cruz is one of my favorite destinations. homebums aplenty but lots of cool kids too. dont let people spook you about the cops sweeping the woods there, we slept 2 nights behind the trailer park without any hassles, in a pretty obvious spot. if you find somewhere more discreet you could stay for years! FNB on wednesday in the market. have fun!

shitbagdanny

Reaction score
whenever im in santa cruz i wind up stayin under the brindges down there

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
the woods work, and i've heard there's a couple redwoods big enough to sleep in. otherwise, if you're seeking shelter from the rain, you either have to hit up the bridges or go pretty far out of downtown. oh yeah, and they just enacted a bunch of new ordinances lately about where you can spange and shit like that.. make sure you check out these rules beforehand because sometimes they will ticket without a warning.

I

IBRRHOBO

there's an old time polo field called 'Pogonip' killer camping but watch out for the Poison Ivy. It is rated the worst on the west coast! i caught it and finally, even after prednizone, had to go to the ocean and scratch the shit open to dry it out!

bikegeek666

Reaction score
inexperienced, but im down!

yeah, i've got a fair bit of book-larnin', but i need to spend some time in the woods to use it.

though i've had to adjust a lot of my learning with leaving portland and coming to ca. my foraging skills have gone way down since the flora have changed so much.

maus

Reaction score
the woods are full.
and we have killer homebums.
its about time scz spun off and spawned a new woodsy scene somewhere else, anyway. santa barbara???

ps. my new haus:

n9102701_38999455_4436.jpg
n9102701_38999456_8522.jpg

n9102701_38999458_9102.jpg

n9102701_38999457_8814.jpg

Reactions: veggieguy12
A

ariel418

I live in Santa Cruz in my van right now. I used to sleep out in the woods near Harvey West Park. Eventually the cops found me & my friends camp. Kind of broke up our happy little family there. Oh well, I am trying to get out of Santa Cruz now. It is too damn cold. I have been freezing every night even though I am in a van out of the weather. If anyone knows of an Anarchist household or something I can live in let me know. :mummy:

nobo

Reaction score
im pretty sure there are hell of awesome woodsy communities all over the place, santa cruz is just blown up right now. its kind of exciting to see people squatting out there in the winter tho, usually it get super crowded in the summer then dies down around this time as everyone heads for warmer weather.
maus, it looks like youve got a pretty tight spot. pretty close to campus tho if im not mistaken....? ive seen some really awesome squats out there and of course some that are just huge piles of litter. bummer.
does anyone know the penalty for getting caught squatting in the woods? fines? or just a slap on the wrist. never really heard of it happening til this thread came up.

maus

Reaction score
my haus is well-hidden... dont you worry about it.

on ucsc campus, supposedly its a $100+ camping ticket. i dont know about elsewhere, there are all kidns of different statutes by local jurisdiction; the city of santa cruz has its own no-sleeping ordinance for instance.

weshatesnh

Reaction score
it's easy as pie to sleep around uc santa cruz, and the food in the dining hall is great :D. When the levee is dry it's not a bad spot, otherwise finding some bushes was all i needed there, watch for packs of raccoons! also, hitching around town is a local norm, which makes getting around cheap and relatively interesting.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads