Protection?

H

Hoghead Bob

Working on the RR I have seen my share of riders. I have seen some really fucked up cats out there. The majority of us "heads" carry a means of protection. Are you looking out for yourselves?

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
an eight inch sheath knife
i carried a butterfly knife one summer and cops kept hassling me about it, telling me it was illegal in their states, but it was never confiscated.
i finally got rid of it in order to cross into canada

anything you carry, make sure it's within reach and not deep in your pack in the case you really are attacked by some of the degenerate lifeforms that hang around railyards

F

FrumpyWatkins

17 inch (tip to handle) Bowie knife on the leg. A friend of my rolls with what he calls "the nigger beater". It is a wooden police club (old style night stick), about 20 inches long. I've always considered fucking with a handgun but that is very illegal. However I've been in situation's where sticking a gun in someones face would have gotten me out a lot easier (fighting can lead to injury, injury on the road can be bad).

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
legal blade lengths vary state to state, and even city to city. usually anything under 4 inches actual blade is cool, if you don't have it concealed. I used to carry a legal legth knife in my boot, but stopped. I got punched in the stomach wicked hard by a state trooper who saw it.
now I carry a 3 1/2 length (blade) folding knife clipped to the chest strap of the pack. real visible. and a can of wasp and hornet spray on my right hip, next to my water. just as effective as mace, but will spray a 15 or so foot stream. great for getting scumbags to back off. just spray it off to the side, and then point it at their face. trust me, they stop.
plus it's legal to carry. if the cops hassle you, tell them you are severely allergic to bees and wasps and could die if stung... yadda yadda, do you finest "scared" BS and you're gravy.
plus I'm a big guy, with a hardwood walking stick. Most people actually move away from me, specially in the dark. but I'm just a teddy bear... Honest:evil:

Reactions: BobbinGoblin
M

Mady

Switch blades like italian stillettos are pretty illegal, if a cop told you butterfly knives are illegal they were lying because they are not. However the police dont really follow laws, just their moods. I would never EVER want a gun, thats just going to leave you killed or killing someone or in jail. you can do the same thing with mace without hurting someone. A billy club also seems impractical, when protecting yourself id assume that you would want to avoid the conflict if at all possible, and if you whip out a knife or a billy club everytime theres a conflict, one day your gonna get stabbed or beat up. I love mace because i can spray and fucking bolt, or beat alil ass if they have it coming. Thats just my opinion though.

F

FrumpyWatkins

You can also mace someone and just piss them off even more where the point of them killing you. If you want to step to me, I'm going to fuck your ass up or at least attempt to unless I am in a hurry.

M

Mady

A mace hit blinds you for about about 15 minutes, so that prospect doesnt seem very plausible. And some of us arnt so violent and would prefer to avoid trouble.

M

MaltLiquorandRamenNoodles

I usually carry mace or a knife.But mace does not always effect someone as well as you think.My dog is also a good protector. Railroad spikes make great fist packs and also work well just to hit someone with.:woohoo:

C

Crazycoon

In Canada your allowed a maximum 5 inch blade length, it has to be sheathed and cant be concealed, too bad the cops are so slow and stupid, cause they dont even see it till there already freakin out at ya. I think your allowed to carry any sized blade, axe, machete ect. as long as its not on your person ie. in your pack.

C

Crazycoon

O ya the ninjas used to make blinding powder out of equal parts flour or chalk, powdered glass or fine sand and cayanne pepper, the chalk makes a cloud of smoke the sand gets logged in the eyes making it immpossible to close them when the pepper starts to burn! your can hold it in your hand and just blow it into the creaps face. BLAMMO!!! HA haaa

C

Cush

Lurch wrote:
O ya the ninjas used to make blinding powder out of equal parts flour or chalk, powdered glass or fine sand and cayanne pepper, the chalk makes a cloud of smoke the sand gets logged in the eyes making it immpossible to close them when the pepper starts to burn! your can hold it in your hand and just blow it into the creaps face. BLAMMO!!! HA haaa

i cannot even begin to imagine how much that would hurt. that shit sounds pretty gnarly. i mean....glass? in your eye? OUCH!

M

Mouse

I did a lil research on knives when I owned a butterfly knife I bought in Altantic City.

they are illegal. anything that isn't a 'fixed blade' is illegal.. meaning the blade doesn't lock into place (avegare pocket knife) or permemently fixed to the handle (sheeth knives)

most states laws vary on lenghts of a blade but in like 90% of them the fixed blade rule stands. In general if you keep your knife (handle and blade combinded) about the size of your outstretched hand you're safe.

my butterfly was taken by the cops. luckily it was a cheap piece of crap I only really bought for novelty.

now I carry something even more illegal.. I get hung up on novelty when it comes to weapons, I can't help it! I carry vintage straight razors.

Box cutters are always handy as well. sharp, cheap, and useful.

mace is probably the best weapon you can have against an attacker. that is of course unless you yourself are a lil deranged and like the thrill of stabbing people... but that only makes you as bad as the person you're stabbing.

and mace only pissing off your attacker more? I doubt it. it gives you a chance to run. I would think a poorly placed and highly not fatal gash would only incite an attacker more. plus, stabbing only places YOU CLOSER TO THE PERSON YOU WANT TO GET AWAY FROM. Mace give you striking distance.

pretty soon I'm gonna ditch my blades and go Casey Jones style w/ a baseball bat strapped to my back. (think- Teenage mutant ninja turtles sidekick)

Post edited by: Mouse, at: 2007/03/07 03:41

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads