Protection? | Page 5 | Squat the Planet

Protection?

hobogestapo

Reaction score
seriously though if you cant figure out how to use something sprayable in the wind... what are you doing carrying around knives? i'm going to go with common sense on this one.

Reactions: Sen

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I recently acquired a tazer. I'm considering taking it with me. Does anyone have any idea on how legal, or sketchy it is carrying one?

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix
D

Deleted member 20

I think that its use as a deterant is kinda weak. If an individual jumps you with a knife or a group bothers you without showing a weapon pulling outa tazer isnt gonna help much. I think carrying a simple weapon can be used to deter an attack long enough to avoid trouble & escape. Street smarts/survival skills are your best weapon, plus the world is littered with natural & manmade debris than can be improvised. It will be kinda wierd too sitting at a Mcdonalds eating off the dollar menu, cleaning up in the bathroom & charging your cellphone, & tazer in front of the normal happy meal eating suburban families observing the dirty traveler charging his potentially threatening & or illegal weapon & lounging like he was"Ray Kroc" himself. Just seems like uneccesary baggage to me.

Link has specific state "carry" laws below. Some states require home use only or prohibit them entirely! Carrying is the issue while traveling isnt it, being on the road & giving authroities more ammo to harrass you. You are gonna get questioned by authorities. you potentially may be doing ssomething illegal already(trespassing, drinking in public,smoking 420, being a vagrant,jaywalking etc. Most times cops will let you go but if they think you look like trouble & want to hassle you they will go through your pack & check you out. Why give them the option to hold,arrest,fine you. Carry a legal sized pocket knife or nothing at all.

http://www.defenseproducts101.com/statestatutesummary_page2.html

L.C.

Banned
Reaction score
I should clarify it's actually a stun gun like "The Runt" on the link above. It''s battery powered, and they don't last very long which sucks. It seems to be legal except in New England states. I always have a knife, pepper spray, and smiley in hands reach. I think the stun gun completes the whole package nicely.

Reactions: wokofshame
D

Deleted member 20

Wow. I guess I am overly concerned about actualy "traveling" than being held, arrested & harassed by cops. I have been in some pretty rough areas & dicey situations in my life where danger/violence was present or iminent & never felt the need to carry 4 weapons for self defense. Its excessive & again just begs for trouble. If courage & piece of mind is the issue no amount of weapons will be enough. The knife ifof legal size is a must have tool that has everyday uses. They are easy enough to talk your way out of trouble if you havent done anything wrong & are within carry laws, cheap enough to toss if need be. Smiley is helpfull if you ride a bike across country but kinda cumbersome, U-lock works just as good as an improvised weapon & bike locking device. Pepper spray & battery operated taser sounds like something you should sell to a housewife so they feel safe in an ATM, lol.(new spange line= can you spare some change for tazer batteries?) But when Jon Q tattooed dirty kid/freighthopper/hitchhiker carries an arsenal of weaponry your unlikely gonna travel far without hassle. Especially if you have any sort of record with violent crime & or felonies. You can carry what ever you want just hate to see noobs on here wasting money on stuff thats gonna make it even harder for them to go anywhere. Heed this kiddies, keep your eyes & ears open,listen to your gut(fight or flight) & buy a good pair of boots so that you can walk/run away while you can. By carrying a bunch of lame weapons you will probably just end up getting hurt more often than not.

L.C.

Banned
Reaction score
Wow. I guess I am overly concerned about actualy "traveling" than being held, arrested & harassed by cops. I have been in some pretty rough areas & dicey situations in my life where danger/violence was present or iminent & never felt the need to carry 4 weapons for self defense. Its excessive & again just begs for trouble. If courage & piece of mind is the issue no amount of weapons will be enough. The knife ifof legal size is a must have tool that has everyday uses. They are easy enough to talk your way out of trouble if you havent done anything wrong & are within carry laws, cheap enough to toss if need be. Smiley is helpfull if you ride a bike across country but kinda cumbersome, U-lock works just as good as an improvised weapon & bike locking device. Pepper spray & battery operated taser sounds like something you should sell to a housewife so they feel safe in an ATM, lol.(new spange line= can you spare some change for tazer batteries?) But when Jon Q tattooed dirty kid/freighthopper/hitchhiker carries an arsenal of weaponry your unlikely gonna travel far without hassle. Especially if you have any sort of record with violent crime & or felonies. You can carry what ever you want just hate to see noobs on here wasting money on stuff thats gonna make it even harder for them to go anywhere. Heed this kiddies, keep your eyes & ears open,listen to your gut(fight or flight) & buy a good pair of boots so that you can walk/run away while you can. By carrying a bunch of lame weapons you will probably just end up getting hurt more often than not.
You make a good point. I just like being prepared. Intuition has kept me safe this long. After this long I can still count how many times I've been in a fight on my fingers and toes. I'm still not giving up my mace and smiley though. Every time a cop finds those things on me, I just explain to him that I'm traveling and It can be dangerous at times. I don't like running being an A-type personality, But I've done it to fight another day. It's like carrying a condom, You may never need it, but you feel better knowing that you have one.

wartomods

Reaction score
a pocket knife but it is to protect me from straydogs and what a not. For beating people around i would prefer a blunt object, knifes can be deadly, but you can stab someone in the face or belly and they will promptly fight back in rage and only then maybe die of blood loss or something.

soapybum

Reaction score
Being a bit over the top here, but if you wanted an obnoxious amount of protection you could always turn a sawed off shotgun into an rpg launcher. On a more serious note though you can get a very small .22 handgun.

Leap

Reaction score
I have a 3" blade on me at all times, along with 3 nice rocks and a sling. Believe me you don't want to be on the receiving end of that rock once i let it fly. 'Only thing is no one's gonna wait for you to look around for things to throw.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
The best setup I've ever had with pepper spray was on a small piece of line hanging off my belt loop, with a toggle from a stuff sack cinching it down the line. ( http://www.therainshed.com/toggles.htm ) like on this page. When I needed the spray I could just grab it and the toggle would slide out down the line easily, It was just one step faster than having a pepper spray belt holster. When not in use I simply had the line (2 maybe 3 feet long) coiled up in my pocket, just like Highwayman would curl his throw-hook on the boat.
The reality is, half the time when an attack comes you have plenty of warning, half the time you have zero warning. I've been punched in the face so fast I didn't even see it coming. When someone has the element of surprise on you, you really need to have your shit together.
It takes a lot, but is quite possible, to recover from a blow and pull your weapon. I recommend practicing with your friends, so it isn't your first time fighting the first time you get attacked.
A really, really bad day on the street as a man is get robbed and beaten. A really, really bad day on the street as a woman is to get robbed, beaten, and raped.

ipoPua

Reaction score
im just keeping a metal chain in my pocket, ready to pull out. i dont think most cops would fuck with me for it, its got good reach, hardly takes any space, a million uses. i'm looking for a combo lock to put on the end but for now its got a simple spring clasp. i'd also really like to get some mace before i go, just in case someone tries to fuck with me in their car or wherever, but i probably wnt be able to afford it and i dont really care

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads