Protection?

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
aren't hobo nunchuks kind of like smilies? padlock on the end of a chain? anyways..i'm gonna carry mace with me until it gets confiscated...but i've gotta say, the wasp/hornet spray is a damn good idea...!

i was just about to say... all of these posts and only one mention of a smiley. are people just not using them as much anymore?

Garrnutz

Reaction score
Ahhh, mace... never forget about wind... especialy with bear mace. I vigalantied myself with it once when i was 16, ended up blind and with alot of paper work and structured apointments. i have a classic K bar but it stays in my pack because i have restrictions for abit, so mainly i travel with standing as tall as i can...

colorado

Reaction score
saber red mace is the best any one who says mace dont work try it i have got 15 people on one medium sized can its the real deal not no pussy california legal shit call me a bictch if u want but a lock will kill and i am scared of random blood always carry rubber gloves and mace and a light and you will never lose

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
I know styles have changed, but a leather belt with a big brass buckle is a great defensive weapon. Hold it nunchuck style. Swing it carefully at first or you'll hurt yourself, but not too many guys will mess with you. Not as lethal as a knife or smiley, and you don't need to worry about getting it confiscated. Also, you can buckle in on a sketchy ride.

LeeevinKansas

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I carry a 3 1/2" fixed pocket knife.

When it comes down to it, any "cutting edge" or "fine point" object will do damage when it comes into contact with human skin. even the most dull edged knife can make a great shank.

But instead of just carrying any old pocket knife, I make sure its NOT made of stainless steel, as that shit will snap in extreme conditions. Second I make sure its a thick ass piece of either carbon, or carbon reinforced if you have to go the cheap way out. By thick I mean the blade edge should be as thick as the dull edge. Dont sit there and say they dont have stuff like that, cuz they do. Its called antique stores. SOME antique stores.

Also I carry a large oak walking stick. As well as a shorter oak mace i carved. Not the "spray mace", but an actual Mace.
The walking stick I call "spinesplitter" bc it has been used and it does do somethin akin to that. As for the shorter mace, Ive used it a few times, and let me tell you, do NOT understimate finely shaped wooden points. They penetrate deeply.

Other easy to conceal easy to use weapons include

Blowdarts (Unexpected and put you down fast)
Bricks (no sane person will come at you while your holding a brick. bc if they get within certain distances, most are well aware you can also throw it, and id rather not be hit in the face or anywhere with a brick)

Bola (easy to use, even in close quarters, and they trip up and trap up the enemy, leaving them momentarily or permanently helpless depending upon the persons IQ)

H

hamikman

Be carefull with knives you guys. They're offensive weapons, not defensive. If the other guy has a knife then maybe pull your knife. If you're in what starts out as a non knife fight and you pull a knife and in the mayhem it gets taken away from you, you've just brought nothing to a knife fight. I've had a fair amount of training (by absolute professionals) on how to fight with a knife but in no way I am a knfe fighter and very few are. The most important thing I learned in training is NEVER GET INTO A KNIFE FIGHT. The people whom I've trained under have said they'd rather face an adversary close up with a gun than a knife (and trust me these guys know thier shit). So introducing a knfe into a fight or menacing situation is simply starting a knfe fight. Learn some hand to hand fighting skills. They will be far more valuable than just carrying a knfe around for some psycopathic scumbag street puke to take from you. Fuck the fancy martial arts. Try things like Krav Maga (its everywhere now) and my personal favourite. It has a high effectiveness to time spent learning ratio. It is boiled down no fancy bullshit hand to hand fighting (from Israel). A trained human (m or F) with two arms and legs is a lethal fucking weapon. Leave the knife in your pocket. Pull it out for rope and potatoes. Learn how to defend from a knife and take the other guys' away.

Menyun

Reaction score
Glock 22... Learn your local laws though many stats you can open carry with no license others you need a license, in cali you can open carry in rural area's only... be warned though walking into town carrying makes you a target, cops will check you out so make sure your not breaking any laws and criminals may want to try to take your firearm so thats another possiblity but in my experience people give you weird looks but they leave you alone which for me is normal anyways. Only time I've been attacked some guy tryed to ambush me with a knife swinging wildly and as soon as I started going for my firearm he bolted. Another idea if you have the money is get your consealed license which would take away that whole being targeted thing but you still need to know your laws just cause you have a consealed carry license in one state doesn't mean all other states will uphold it. Also remember if you are carrying and break the law (criminal offenses) its a automatic felony so that may also be something to consider.

lostboy

Reaction score
12 gauge flare gun. keep the flares handy, but not loaded. you can get non lethal 12 gauge rounds (sand bags, pepper spray rounds, rubber bullets, etc.). they dont have to be registered, but you have to wear them visibly unless you have a concealed weapons permit, they are still considered a fire arm. just dont be walking down the street with one on your hip, draws too much attention from the cops & youll look hella silly with an orange plastic gun in a holster.

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

trash diver

Reaction score
I had an old timer tell me that a bar of octagon soap in a wool sock will bust you up bad,but separately,they appear harmless to the cops.

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
I've got an American Bulldog, he does the job. ;)

RVLG

Reaction score
Did anyone else think this was about contraception before reading the thread?

Your best protection, in my opinion, is common sense. Nine times out of ten, having the sense to avoid bad situations will help you more than any knife or spray, not that one shouldn't have one or the other of those anyway.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads