Protection?

xRastaxRuggzx

Reaction score
I agree with RVLG, but dogs, thick clothing, wearing clothes that fit, always having a beer bottle conveniently around, knives, hatchets, these are all adequate forms of protection. I used to carry around a bit of broken glass with me in a pouch whever I walked through sketchy areas. Would serve as a makeshift projectile. I'm thinking about getting an archery set but don't know the legality of carrying around a bow and loaded quiver.

flashinglights

Reaction score
Sleeping in bear country recently... my big-ass redwood walking stick was the best thing I could have had at hand. Accidentally camped in the bear's berry patch and got woke up by them in the middle of the night. Went back to sleep with eyes glazed open, both hands gripping the stick across my chest. Big pile of bear shit 15 feet away when I woke up next morning.

Doubt any humans would want to fuck with a 6 foot stick either, for what it's worth.

Reactions: DaisyDoom

wartomods

Reaction score
a knife, a big stick and reasonable senses is all you need to protect yourself from wild animals.
It happened to me so many times, chilling out and eating my snacks at a parking lot, and being harrassed by stray dogs. And It sucks some people in rural areas dont control their sheepdogs . I think a pack of stray dogs is worse than a bear.

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
a knife, a big stick and reasonable senses is all you need to protect yourself from wild animals.
It happened to me so many times, chilling out and eating my snacks at a parking lot, and being harrassed by stray dogs. And It sucks some people in rural areas dont control their sheepdogs . I think a pack of stray dogs is worse than a bear.

Pleanty of sheepdogs up here too, nasty, crazy little bastards...they always go for your dog's stomach when they attack. Can't stand collies.

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org

trash diver

Reaction score
Is there anything you can do about this guy?legally ,i mean?

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
Is there anything you can do about this guy?legally ,i mean?
No, he's a crofter and they're pretty much a law to themselves up here. I just stick to the forestry land, having thousands of acres of forest to roam about in is the best part of the job.

jjoshea

Reaction score
krav maga.effective martial art. basic.easy for women to use. awareness. sixth sense.we all have it in our dna,find it.dont get loaded. move slow in strange ground. if you must carry a weapon know how to use the damn thing. the simplest movements are the most effective.always always go go with the first vibes you feel about someone or something. this society is def. becoming a divided desperate nation.

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
krav maga.effective martial art. basic.easy for women to use. awareness. sixth sense.we all have it in our dna,find it.dont get loaded. move slow in strange ground. if you must carry a weapon know how to use the damn thing. the simplest movements are the most effective.always always go go with the first vibes you feel about someone or something. this society is def. becoming a divided desperate nation.

It was also designed to turn raw recruits into efficient fighters very quickly, so the teaching style is every bit as effective as the self-defense. What impressed me most about Krav Maga was that it's geared up to maximise your potential in a fight, so, if like me, you are a small skinny dude, it teaches you how to use your opponent's weight and height against them, how to let them get in their own way and overbalance, it's really an awesome martial art.

E

Earth

Been carrying an Old Timer "Buck" style knife for almost 16 years now, which my father in law gave me for Christmas.
It is essentially the same style of knife which did the job back in August '69...
But when journeying by kayak - I carry a machette, and sometimes an ax handle when hiking the woods with my dog because I have encountered some real dangerous nuts out there...
Honestly though, my number one self defense is I do my best to avoid any kind of violent situation - unless my life is in grave danger.
It's just ain't worth it otherwise, although I did recently fiund out that CT has some real good "right to defend one's self" laws on the books...

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
sheathed 5 inch blade. all one piece of steel, custom hemp woven handle. ( i will take a picture and re post)

chaosfactorxx

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have a knife that I carry in my pocket and it's got a box cutter on the end, so it's pretty convient. I had a small crow bar that I used to have that i put in my side pockets, so it was concealed but easily accessible, though I lost that in Mass last summer. I was surprised I didn't get fucked with by the cops for having it though...coulda gotten in some shit for that one.

jjoshea

Reaction score
if i were a young woman on the road i def.would learn the basic skills of a martial art,and if you carry a weapon know how to use it.any weapon can be taken from you. awareness of your surroundings is foremost.clarity is strength. i wish this world was as kind as it was when i was comen up.​

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads