portland ugh

rocksy

Reaction score
sick, cold, and random showers only make me and my girlfriend wet to the bone, luckily we sort of planned ahead and had enough moneys to get a cheap motel for 7 days, but after we're out that is it, game over, the real squatting starts. so now what? we don't know anyone in this gigantic city and the only place we've been was powell's bookstore. if anyone can either help us by meeting up and showing us the ropes enough to get us off our feet, thanks in advance.

rocksy

Reaction score
thanks for the information. we did see that sisters of the road place, but it was closed, since it was like, 7 am XD. thanks for the tips. if we head to salem, we'll certainly email you.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Both the northeast and the southeast have some real nice pourches and shit you can crash under, if you head far into the SW there's plenty of industrial shit you can crash under, even some old box cars. Forest park is full of caves and great natural shelter, you can even have a fire if you head in just a little (some stolen tyvek and ferns make a great tent). Portland is a squatters dream, there's so much really, but I don't feel comfortable giving away exact locations online. Also there's always couches available on couchsurfing.com, or you can just party hop in the SE untill you find someone who doesn't mind you staying the night, I know people who've done this for years on end. Basically, get your ass out of the hotel and out of downtown and you should find a spot in no time. If you wind up truly shit outta luck PM me and I'll help you out.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
fuck, I really meant the NW for industrial shit... its been a while (whiskey doesn't help either). I worked briefly at an ashpalt plant chipping out tanks (don't ask how that happened) on st. helen's that bordered the SE side of the park and we would routinely go for smoke walks into the park and some of the camps had been there for years. The guys back there were friendly enough once we said hi and passed the joint. I later used that area to camp on several occassions. I'm not saying set up a permanate spot or anything, it's just a good area to crash for the night and not have to worry about cops, just respect your neighbors. Sorry about the fuckup...

C

Clit Comander

ArrowInOre said:
Watch out about Forest Park. Lots of locals use it for jogging and walking their dogs. I myself would never suggest that park. I have bore witness to some screwed up shit there. But yes on the SW part. If I had a map and was there now I could turn you on to a couple of great spots...Also, try the industrial are just past Thurman, kind of near Forest Park but more north...OH, and if you can get to Hawthorn, there are more chances of bumping into REAL people. and plenty of ops for hook ups to crash space too. (A few hippies, but it kool there. 25th all the way up to 40th)

(Pioneer Square is over rated, but still a good starting point) Used to be the hub of the 'scene' back in my day, now a days, not so much. AVOID old town, bullshit and trouble and LOTS of cops...
My boy Scat took me to the hollywood district and it has some good spots, but there are a lot of junkies and homebums. We crashed at the bat caves and the i-5 bridge at the tracks east/ south split. ( can't give up location over Internet sorry) downtown was good to me.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
black rose is on mississippi st in north portland, it's a looong walk from downtown but if you can afford/get a ride on a city bus it's not bad. it's right next to the mississippi house co-op. definately a cool place, they have a pretty rockin free pile. they also serve free coffee and tea most of the time. but it's all volunteer run so the hours can be pretty variable.

arrow, i don't think that fnb info is up to date.. the eugene one wasn't because they serve two days a week and the site only lists one.. my friend in salem was talking about starting fnb up there but i haven't heard if she actually got it started or not.

Labea

Reaction score
yeah i emailed fnb about updateing their emails and info on anchorage fnb, since the last group stopped doing it a few years ago, and since i last checked they havnt changed anything.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
wider you mean in NW portland or NW in general? the one in eugene is pretty good, I helped out there for a while and we even served in the snow! hippies probably (it is eugene), hipsters not really..

as far as FNB being on time I saw Keith McHenry speak and he said being late saved his life once since someone put a time bomb under the table they were going to serve at..

speaking of, passing through Olympia a few times I've talked to a bunch of people they do the EGYHOP (emma goldman youth and homeless outreach program) and they have a cool thing going. they ride around on bikes with trailers and give people food, directions, advice, clean needles, warm clothes, blankets, coffee, etc.. in my opinion sounds like it's a lot more effective than FNB since it's roaming and nightly, and offers more than just food.

Poking Victim

Reaction score
what happened to riding the max and never paying?

macks said:
black rose is on mississippi st in north portland, it's a looong walk from downtown but if you can afford/get a ride on a city bus it's not bad. it's right next to the mississippi house co-op. definately a cool place, they have a pretty rockin free pile. they also serve free coffee and tea most of the time. but it's all volunteer run so the hours can be pretty variable.

arrow, i don't think that fnb info is up to date.. the eugene one wasn't because they serve two days a week and the site only lists one.. my friend in salem was talking about starting fnb up there but i haven't heard if she actually got it started or not.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
I was up there a few months ago and rode MAX without fare no problem.. I hear the people who check tickets are pretty obvious and you can just step off a train if they get on and wait for the next one. Even if they do catch you, you can always pull the "out of towner, didn't know better" card (probably depending on how crusty you are..) .. fareless square was nice I hope they don't nix it.

jade

Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
dooode i feel ya my boyfriend and i are in the same situation right now, except we're in california last nite we had to scrape our money together and stay in a super 8 motel because us hanging out around the truck station during the day asking for rides made all the employees suspicious, they were going to call the cops if we tried sleeping outside, the problem i have with traveling is getting stuck on the fucking highway for 3 days because no one will give you a ride, and then you run out of food, and water, it sucksssss, shoplifting is so hard to do when you're traveling because you're already a target when you walk in just because of the way you look, and squats, geeze, i've ran into some that the kids there won't even let you crash for a night, what's with this prestiges attitude of "more radical/traveled longer than you"

Poking Victim

Reaction score
jade said:
dooode i feel ya my boyfriend and i are in the same situation right now, except we're in california last nite we had to scrape our money together and stay in a super 8 motel because us hanging out around the truck station during the day asking for rides made all the employees suspicious, they were going to call the cops if we tried sleeping outside, the problem i have with traveling is getting stuck on the fucking highway for 3 days because no one will give you a ride, and then you run out of food, and water, it sucksssss, shoplifting is so hard to do when you're traveling because you're already a target when you walk in just because of the way you look, and squats, geeze, i've ran into some that the kids there won't even let you crash for a night, what's with this prestiges attitude of "more radical/traveled longer than you"

If you can't squat without the cops being called, it's no wonder why nobody wants to squat with you.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads