now, im not new to this, but ive never

db3kfan

Reaction score
been able to figure out what the two fingers signal by a passing car means. they hold their index finger and thumb about an inch apart, signaling 'small'. but i dont know if it means 'not going far' or 'not enough room'. any help?

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
In all the years that I hitched, I never figured that out either but I never bothered to ask. If they weren't stopping I usually didn't really care what they were trying to convey.

db3kfan

Reaction score
yeah, i've usually been with a buddy and a dog. i do always wave though, sayin thanks for looking at me like a normal person. thanks

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Never knew what that meant before but I know lots of folks feel guilty for not stopping, there were always quite a few folks over the years that would stop and say they were only going a short ways and then offer me money to relieve their guilt or try to buy me a Greyhound ticket. Also lots of folks who you can see the expression on their face and sometimes see them kind of mouthing the word "sorry", I never had trouble knowing what that meant.

db3kfan

Reaction score
Never knew what that meant before but I know lots of folks feel guilty for not stopping, there were always quite a few folks over the years that would stop and say they were only going a short ways and then offer me money to relieve their guilt or try to buy me a Greyhound ticket. Also lots of folks who you can see the expression on their face and sometimes see them kind of mouthing the word "sorry", I never had trouble knowing what that meant.

only had one person offer greyhound tickets. it was while i was spanging though

Poe Boy

Reaction score
Must be more polite people on the road today.

Usually people would just pass me by, or if they tried to convey something, they just held up one finger. . .:D

condemnedtodrift

Reaction score
I especially hate it when you get a peace sign or a wave or thumbs up. It's like, mother fucker, I'm not out here spreading cheer & good will. I want a fucking ride.

Then you've got the random asshole in Mobile that just so happend to have a bullhorn & a lot to say to some crusty kid baking in the alabama sun.

I need to take a walk. Just thinking about hitch hiking reeeeeeally pisses me off.

Dameon

Reaction score
Maybe some people think that you're just standing along the freeway in the middle of nowhere out of water and food giving random traffic the thumbs up, and they should respond with a similar thumbs up, or a wave...

You never know, people are really really stupid.

Reactions: veraladd

cricketonthemove

Reaction score
I get this sign numerous time a day!(I'm in Canada, so maybe it's more common here?) I would say between 10-20 cars. either that or they point to tell me they're turning soon. I actually appreciate this. It usually comes with a smile or a wave or the mouthing of "sorry" so I atleast know they're acknowledging me and not just driving past like I don't exist.

Reactions: butters

CdCase123

Reaction score
I get this sign numerous time a day!(I'm in Canada, so maybe it's more common here?) I would say between 10-20 cars. either that or they point to tell me they're turning soon. I actually appreciate this. It usually comes with a smile or a wave or the mouthing of "sorry" so I atleast know they're acknowledging me and not just driving past like I don't exist.

agreed. its encouraging

bote

Reaction score
another common one is the ¨just going over there¨ where they point to one side or other, like they are going to turn off soon.
In Colombia I came across a really cool one, the truck drivers put their index up to the bottom of their necks like its a gun or a knife sticking in there, pretty self-explanatory.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads