NOLA (or things I should know by now but am too stupid to figure out for myself) | Squat the Planet

NOLA (or things I should know by now but am too stupid to figure out for myself)

däv

Reaction score
Thinking of heading down to NOLA soon where I'm planning to meet up with some friends who won't be in town until a bit before the 31st. I've managed somehow over the years to have never been to the place before and though I've heard a lot about it am curious as to any info that might help me out in squatting down there.

I'm not going to ask any specific questions as I want you to assume I don't know anything (I've been living in the same house in Portland for 4 years... so it might as well be the case).

Anything regarding food or how to avoid winding up in OPP for general ignorance especially helps.

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
Stash your pack. I'll let the others here warn you about NOPD. I don't have the patience or time to type out how fucked the New Orleans Police Department is.

Those jokes you hear about being arrested for "leaning with intent to fall"? They're real.

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
what about the molesting a cheese burger? someone told me that and im really tempted to get sexy with one when im eatting it to see if this is true. :]

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
Haha I wouldn't even try it lol

btw, dav, there's also a couple daily bumfeeds if you don't mind dining with N'awlins homebums. came in handy during some desperate days.

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
I got 'obstruction of public passage' (sitting). apparently, it's a pretty common one.

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
haha. im going to get some sort of citation, i know it.

do these cops get a little hands on?
last time a cop touched me i ended up in jail for assault on an officer ... ha

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
Most people get more than a citation, sad to say :-/
The tank at OPP is almost legendary by this point.

däv

Reaction score
Yeah... a friend of mine also told me about a pizza place (which shall go unnamed) that gives away it's extras every night when they close.

Is there a time of day when the cops are worse/less bad?
i.e. is there a better time of day for me to stash my pack initially or should I just be aiming to do it ASAP?

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com
Yeah its bad but as long as you are smart and watch your back it should be ok. I was there for mardi gras and again for jazz fest and managed to stay out of opp. However alot of my friends did end up there. One for 20 days. her charges were sitting on a sidewalk, obstructing a public passage way, and spitting on a sidewalk.

däv

Reaction score
I've heard that the cops try to avoid fucking with the voodoo community to some extent... which, given some of my connections sounds hopeful... but rather than setting myself up to garnering a false sense of security... how true is this?

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i know of a few good places to sleep, mostly black mold free. i'll be wearing a water bottle thats pink with white flowers on it off of my belt, with a guy with blue docs, find me and i'll get ya a place to sleep if ya need it.

also, anyone returning north first week in november?

logan714

Rev Quay Lude The Church of the SubGenius http:
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i know of a few good places to sleep, mostly black mold free. i'll be wearing a water bottle thats pink with white flowers on it off of my belt, with a guy with blue docs, find me and i'll get ya a place to sleep if ya need it.

also, anyone returning north first week in november?

im from Metairie went to e jeffereson hs it suckes there

the thing that keep me out of shit is the cops allways asked me Where you from boy ? Metairie i would answer then the would ask Where you go to school and i say E.J. sir and they would say boy Get your fucken ass out of here and go home to your momma

and i would say Thank you sir have a safe night

opp is 140? years old and sucks big dick

fuck NOLA

logan:crew:

M

Monkeywrench

I moved to New Orleans two months ago, and just as an observation--the kids who pass through NOLA and end up in jail, generally did something deserve to be there. Be it not practicing common sense, or completely ignoring it all together.

It's always, fucking ALWAYS!, the same burnt-out, wastoid, boozed-out-of-their-minds skumfuck traveling kids who are complaining about how "harsh" the police in NOLA are.

-Were you walking around with your pack on being obnoxiously obvious and filthy in front of stores that are struggling to keep their business around?

-Were you getting high/drunk/retarded on the riverwalk with your 4953983954 dogs and 17 stupid friends? Causing a ruckus, scaring tourists and pissing into trashcans?

-Were you breaking shit and being loud outside of Envie's/Sydney's and getting pissed off when the citizens of an already-impovershed city aren't keen on the idea of giving an out of towner a handout?

I have never once been bothered by the police in New Orleans, and you know why? Because I'm not stupid. Stash your pack. Don't black out in the street. Keep your pants on (in public!). If you're being retarded in Jackson Square and hanging out with homebums, guess what, you have what's coming to you.

Also: Please don't expect spare change in a city brimming with musical talent. If you have an instrument, by all means, grace us with your music. If not, everyone knows you want booze. Food is exceedingly simple to acquire in this town, you're not fooling anyone.

WHO DAT!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads