longest rides ever!!!!!!!!!!

Toddy

Reaction score
knoxville, tn to san antonio texas. ex army guy drove non stop, he was driving home from connecticut. 18 hours of war stories though :(

san antonio to ontario, california. trucker.

all in all it took me longer to get from new york to kentucky than from kentucky to california.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
I asume that you are talking about longest "Hitch-Hiking" rides and not by trains eh?....
My longest "Thumbing" ride was from Russellville, Arkansas all the way to Inuvik, Northwest Territories.
post your longest rides.

i had a ride from calgary to downtown montreal.

3700km!!

and I would like to hear some more outrageously long rides.

S

Seldom Seen Smith

I got a ride from Richmond to Portland, Maine once. It was with a guy going all the way up to Bangor so the ride could have been longer if I wanted it to be.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Hickory, NC to near Bakersfield, CA. Two old snowbirds in a RV that were heading out to the Long Term Visitor areas in California. It would have been a nice ride if they didn't get on the nerves so bad. They kept telling me how they didn't know how I could hitch, how they'd picked me up to "save" me from whatever psychos might stop for me. But I really think they picked me up to have company so that they wouldn't kill each other, it seemed like all they did all the way out I-40 was bitch at each other.

Nym

Reaction score
The longest ride i have ever caught
was with a trucker
from somewhere in arizonia
to shawnee,O.K.
he was really nice and picked up me, my road dog and my dog
bought us food, booze, and smokes!

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
St Augustine Florida to Los Angelos California from a trucker!
I jumped out in Lake Charles Louisiana to meet up with a friend to hop freight trains.

I usually jump out of my rides before they've reached their destinations just because I'm content with doing only so many miles per day. I'm in no rush. I've hitchhiked a 1,000 miles in 22 hours before and thats with multiple rides. I'de rather just take my time and enjoy the scenery and enjoy meeting new people that I come into contact with.

Ivy League

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I know it isn't that far, but my friends and I got picked up somewhere around Bimbow or however you spell it in the middle of the night, and it was foggy and this guy drove us all the way to SF and he was hella cool. We even made one stop for gas and he tossed me the keys and just said "you can start the car up, just don't steal it" I thought it was pretty cool, my friends said I should have moved it forward a little and parked, but I didn't wanna be mean in anyway since he was so nice to us.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah me neither... longest was 265 miles... gary, in to louisville, ky. but i really really hate hitching.

M

Mouse

I think the longest was pensacola, fl to flagstaff w/ one ride. bypassing TX because allof us didn't feel like risking rednecks. so that added a good bit of lenght to the journey

lostinspace

Reaction score
i got a ride from Pasco, washington to duluth, minnesota. i actually had to wait a week for the ride all the way, but they dropped me off on top of a mountain and gave me pot to smoke, and checked in every couple of days to make sure that i had enough food and water to make sure that my dog and i were fine. the land i was camping on was for sale so it was empty, and the only person that i ran into was a man who land next to it and walked his dog through it since it was empty. far from being upset he actually came back later with more food and water, which was lucky since i was about to run out of water and my ride was do back for at least another day. i'm about to head back to the bay area and am hoping to luck out again and score a ride all the way to cali. cross your fingers for me:applaud:

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
yosemite to Oakland, (I know its only 200 miles but it was my longest)
I was left by some folks up there and I was living in west O at the time, I made a sign and in about a whole five mins some guy picked me up and drive me to my front door. I got lunch and all that jazz

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Longest in physical distance: Nipigon-->Sudbury within Ontario, riding with a trucker who explained to me twice just exactly how he figured the Egyptians had bult the pyramid -- goat bladders and reed straws and air pressure.
886km, 10h22m (Google maps)

Longest in time: Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya-->Mae Sot-->Chiang Mai within Thailand, with two male and one female engineerers who detour and stop for 2 hours in the Thai-Burmese border-town in order to fix some sweatshop's sewing machines. 828km, 12h53m (Google maps) + 2h stop = 14h53m

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads