Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
south_dakota.jpg

Name: Drive-In Theaters

History: The drive-in theater is a no-brainer. It combines three of America's favorite things: movies, cars and fatty snack foods. Yet since its boom time in the 1940s and 1950s, the number of drive-ins has been steadily declining. Like most states, South Dakota was once home to dozens of the outdoor theaters; today, only six remain, including the Starlite in Mitchell, an hour west of Sioux Falls, a drive-in that's been around since 1949. The theater closed for various periods over the years but got a remodeling in the 1990s that returned it to its mid-century glory. Show up during the summer and catch a double feature.

What's there: I think most of us remember these or have been to one once. A huge parking lot with a huge ass screen where you can watch a movie in your car.

Why we want to go: Oldskool coolness mostly. Imagine bringing the bus into a drive in, and sitting on it's roof with some lawn chairs and beer watching whatever crap ass movie they have playing that week. Ah, yes, bliss.

Anyone else know of some good drive in theaters that are still around?

More Info:

???

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
err... what's slo?

D

dirty_feet

Yep. Drive in theater in Stephens City, VA - 15 min away from where I grew up. Double features, play ground, lighting bugs - open seasonally from April through October.

FreeBHamster

Reaction score
There are two that i know of in WA. One is nestled close to the olympic mountains in the town of Belfair i think. Its open in the summer months. Also some what close to Mt.Vernon and Everett i think there is one off of I-5.

Reactions: roughdraft

bobNkamille

Reaction score
SLC, utah still has one it's only open through the summer though it's off of redwood rd in west valley

Reactions: beersalt

elvagabundo

Reaction score
Active Drive-In theater in South Jersey

Cut and paste in "www.delseadrive-in.com"

Everybody get in the trunk!

Also an abandoned drive-in in Pennsauken, NJ (can be seen from road coming over the Betsy Ross Bridge).

urse

Reaction score
malta drive in, malta, ny! it's a very sweet place. most of the people who work there are my friends. never been charged to get in or yelled at for being a drunken baffoon. there's also one about 30 minutes north of malta in queensbury, new york. not too sure what it's like there cause i've never been.

The Malta Drive-In Theatre, Malta NY
Welcome to the Glen Drive In Theater!

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
I know where one is in Indiana. right by where I-70 intersects with New Castle. I think the town was called Spiceland. If memory serves it's open Memorial day to Labor day, or something like that. double feature Fri and Sat. has a radio station that sends the sound from the movie to your stereo. Haven't been there in a year or so, but I know it's still running.

Reactions: PukingPelican

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
sweet, everyone has been really helpful in finding these places! thanks! (and keep em coming!)

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone is rollin thru CT, can tell you hoe to get to a few. One of them is old and abandonded with some sick ass graffitti. IM me for more details.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads