drive in movie theaters - anywhere (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
south_dakota-jpg.31663_drive in movie theaters - anywhere_United States_Squat the Planet_3:25 AM

Name: Drive-In Theaters

History: The drive-in theater is a no-brainer. It combines three of America's favorite things: movies, cars and fatty snack foods. Yet since its boom time in the 1940s and 1950s, the number of drive-ins has been steadily declining. Like most states, South Dakota was once home to dozens of the outdoor theaters; today, only six remain, including the Starlite in Mitchell, an hour west of Sioux Falls, a drive-in that's been around since 1949. The theater closed for various periods over the years but got a remodeling in the 1990s that returned it to its mid-century glory. Show up during the summer and catch a double feature.

What's there: I think most of us remember these or have been to one once. A huge parking lot with a huge ass screen where you can watch a movie in your car.

Why we want to go: Oldskool coolness mostly. Imagine bringing the bus into a drive in, and sitting on it's roof with some lawn chairs and beer watching whatever crap ass movie they have playing that week. Ah, yes, bliss.

Anyone else know of some good drive in theaters that are still around?

More Info:

???

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!
D

dirty_feet

I deleted myself
Yep. Drive in theater in Stephens City, VA - 15 min away from where I grew up. Double features, play ground, lighting bugs - open seasonally from April through October.

FreeBHamster

Lurker
Current Location
Bellingham WA
There are two that i know of in WA. One is nestled close to the olympic mountains in the town of Belfair i think. Its open in the summer months. Also some what close to Mt.Vernon and Everett i think there is one off of I-5.

piratehobo

Lurker
Current Location
san diego
there's also a drive-in near chula vista, california and i think the one in santee still plays movies as well

incendiary

Lurker
I love drive ins! There's one sorta close to where I live, outside of London, Ontario.

elvagabundo

Lurker
Active Drive-In theater in South Jersey

Cut and paste in "www.delseadrive-in.com"

Everybody get in the trunk!

Also an abandoned drive-in in Pennsauken, NJ (can be seen from road coming over the Betsy Ross Bridge).

I know where one is in Indiana. right by where I-70 intersects with New Castle. I think the town was called Spiceland. If memory serves it's open Memorial day to Labor day, or something like that. double feature Fri and Sat. has a radio station that sends the sound from the movie to your stereo. Haven't been there in a year or so, but I know it's still running.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
If anyone is rollin thru CT, can tell you hoe to get to a few. One of them is old and abandonded with some sick ass graffitti. IM me for more details.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

DisfunctionalBliss wrote on sydaavicious's profile.
Ta ta ta..... Building treehouses, pallet houses, rocket stoves, and all sorts of wacky live of the land shit. Want a change? Feel free to check us out: Auburn WA....just south of Seattle. Can help u on ur travels too
Back online... Sorry I haven´t been active. Moving to the UK with my little family for a while.
50% of needed gas funds for OR trip obtained ✔
Bey
The Dumpster giveth...! Good skipping today, with some line struggle, though, over the freegan vs. "meegan" positions...
van dwelling in san antonio. about to get on the road to oregon or someplace by end of the month. i'm still so fucked up about my dear friend @Multifaceted passing away and need to get out of our hometown..
Confirmation that travel expenses will be covered has been APPROVED! I'M OUTTA HERE!
For years now I've been told to check out r/vagabond and I looked into it. Its terrible and I'm glad i haven't met those people.
Glad to be active again here on STP. I realize now how much I missed this community
Heading to Oregon this week...anyone wanna ride along?

Staff online