CrimethInc. Convergence - Pittsburgh - July 20 | Squat the Planet

CrimethInc. Convergence - Pittsburgh - July 20

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
haha. I don't suggest going. Obviously pretty much everyone on here knows that by now.

gangleri

Reaction score
I haven't been to one of these, and I've heard good and bad stuff. The good is mostly about the workshops and meeting folks, the bad is pretty vague. The kids I've met from Pittsburgh in the past year or so have all been pretty awesome though, and I hear good things about the radical community there. What would you warn against, squatter?

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
If you're not into politically correctness "do I have consent to sit next to you" or security culture I wouldnt reccomend it. Although the workshops are very informational and helpful, I'll give it that much.

hassysmacker

Reaction score
If you're not into politically correctness "do I have consent to sit next to you" or security culture I wouldnt reccomend it. Although the workshops are very informational and helpful, I'll give it that much.

well it is a public anarchist gathering and surely fbi provocatuers are there. spying and doing what they do. ignore and distrust anyone who thinks stuff should be blown up.

gangleri

Reaction score
Or that.

I'm not really into the very lofty heights of political correctness, but I can get behind consent and I love me some workshops. I may have to check this out if summer plans fall through.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
CrimethInc's motto...

"Our parents worked hard for our trust funds and we're gonna do everything in our power to make sure that it never happens again."

Rich kids living in a pretend dream world. Even the feds don't think they're worth shit.

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini

griffjam

Reaction score

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
CrimethInc's motto...

"Our parents worked hard for our trust funds and we're gonna do everything in our power to make sure that it never happens again."

Rich kids living in a pretend dream world. Even the feds don't think they're worth shit.

Agreed, they surely have their hands full with other shit than a crimtinc convergence. Glad others see it that way as well. but the workshops are good. They tell you what you already know, but they go more in depth.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
first off quit talking shit on people you do not know, and second
http://file.sunshinepress.org:54445/virgina-threat-assessment-2009.pdf
see page 45

I'd rather not download a 40 mb file onto my friends computer, so if you just wanna post page 45 I'd be happy to look at it. Secondly, I know plenty of crimetInc people, I've even gotten drunk in the old propaganda office in n. portland a couple times. That said, I stand by my earlier statements. If the feds wanted them gone, they'd be gone.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Beegod Santana said:
...If the feds wanted them gone, they'd be gone.

You want to cite something in defense of this notion?
I know all about COINTELPRO and Fred Hampton and Geronimo Ji Jaga and Leonard Peltier and John Sinclair and all that; more recently, one might point to Judi Bari & Derryl Cherney.
But who has been gone'd by "the Feds", of late?

In this country, political opponents are not usually just outright executed.
And I think you're smart or aware enough to realize that merely because CrimethInc. personnel and other agitators with radical positions (posturing?) are not imprisoned is no indication that they aren't on the radar of the repressors.

I don't doubt that many people will indeed "be gone" when the ruling powers feel desperate to intimidate and flex some muscle. Do you?

gangleri

Reaction score
Yeah, the same guy who ratted out the Austin kids in St Paul had infiltrated Crimethinc Convergences. Also, I have to agree with veggieguy on a lot of these points, but especially: don't talk shit on people you don't know. You may have gotten drunk with some crimethinc kids (although in portland its hard to throw a rock without hitting a trust fund anarchist, keep this in mind), thats great, but you're generalizing about a huge amount of people when you say that they're "not worth shit." I have to say from my own experience of 'crimethinc kids' in the south that they're frequently some of the most level-headed and active people I know, which is more than I can say about some of their detractors that I've met.

I mean, its definitely true that five, six years ago they were putting out some pie-in-the-sky fluffy kind of stuff. These materials have their moments when they're appropriate, I feel, but shouldn't be the foundation of someone's politics by any means. However, if you had read some of their more recent publications (for example, the most recent issue of Rolling Thunder), you'd find solid analysis and a better sense of reality.

Why am I defending them, I wonder? I guess it just annoys the hell out of me when it becomes stylish in a community to talk shit on a certain someone, especially when that person or group contributes in a positive manner.

Also: why should we let what the authorities monitor indicate importance? I'm not sure what the draw would be to go to an event that WAS heavily monitored by the police.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
One of my best pals hates a certain CrimethInc.-associated guy with a big rep in FL.

And I understand why. But what makes this guy a "CrimethInc. kid"? Because he distributed some CrimethInc. literature? Or because he agrees with their perspective? I've put up CrimethInc. posters, I've read and passed-along their books. I like their propaganda. I don't think I'm a dick, and neither does my pal, who doesn't really like CrimethInc.

There's no one right answer that all need to be convinced of, here.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
I'll admit that I'm making a huge generalization. I haven't looked at anything they've put out for at least four years and almost every kid I've ever met who was really into them has been an idealist living off of someone else's $. Has that skewed my view of the organization as a whole? Sure it has! Am I gonna change my attitude toward them? Fuck no, because I have yet to see anything that has convinced me otherwise. Maybe the feds really are wasting millions of dollars to spy on these kids, but most of the time I feel these kids like to believe that the cops are all over them "because it proves that we're really on to something here!!"

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
Man this is just nonsense. Most of the people that Ive talked to have had the same rediculous experinces with these kids. There's anarchists, then there is crimthinc. I think that they honestly want feds to be at their shindigs so they can feel important. Fbi this fbi that, beware of "the man" blah blah.. Just fucking live, go out, stop looking over your soulders every two steps and jumping at your own shadow. If they want you, you can't prevent it no matter how hard you try, it's no use. Ugh these posts piss me off I'm not opening these any more.

ianfernite

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads