Coolest camp you've ever had? | Squat the Planet

Coolest camp you've ever had?

S

sykgutt

Earlier this year I went out in the woods with a couple of friends to make the ultimate camping spot. We built a huge lean-to.

l_31bde9ff3739ec247171ec97477bf0ec.jpg

Also, we found a complete deer skeleton and mounted the skull on the tip of the lean-to, and I made a windchime out of it's bones and hung it on a nearby tree. We also dug a hole in the ground and hid an ammo box full of weed and various paraphernalia in it. The firepit had an old Belgian steel pot helmet to use for boiling/cooking food, and a metal posted sign for a grill. Next to it was an enormous dead, hollowed out tree (looked like a big spike), peering like a monument over the campsite. We pulled a huge dead tree over to use as a bench. The area was also full of wood and kindling for the fire. Lastly, we dug a hole, put a bucket in it, and pulled G's out of the ground.

Had some good times there, taking a bunch of friends up for a couple of days, feeling like mercenaries with all of our military gear.

What was the coolest campsite you've ever had?

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
This wasn't my camp, but some years ago in Pittsburgh, before the punks started buying the cheap houses (which caused all the squatters to move in with their friends), there was a camp in the woods in the middle of the city. If you aren't read up in your history of that city, the woods are there because it is forbidden to develop on that steep slope of land. The trees protect the homes, businesses, and roads below. Decades ago, during some construction further up, a landslide rushed down, demolishing everything in its way all the way down to the river. Landslides are common in that city, which is hillier than SF by a long shot.
About a dozen people lived there, in an encampment. There was a tarped communal kitchen set in the basement foundation of a home long since swept away in the dirt avalanche. Tents were placed nearby. It was a summer camp; when it got colder, anyone serious about staying in the city could squat a house or perhaps even resort to paying rent. It lasted about 3 summers.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
not the "coolest" camp really, but we made a nice little jungle in new orleans.... peep that fire pit...... and yeah i know, we're a bunch of dorks, whatever, cards and dice only amuse for so long....time for the literature

doobieds061.jpg

Reactions: SeeYouInIceland

skunkpit

Reaction score
DSCI0551.jpg

this was a shelter i made near my most favourite dumpster in the winter, stayed in it one day at -12c the side closes up with another chunk of cardboard. it was a funny scenario. i slept on the loading dock at first till an employee politely asked me not to sleep there and suggested the side of the building was good to sleep, so i said fuck yeah. made this pallet beach umbrella house and ceran warped it. i kinda leached onto the side of this organic wholesaler distributer place. found spring water in the dumpster and shit loads of anything organic yogurt, weekly at least 1x 50lb bag of organic, oats, rice, kamut, spelt etc etc. some of the familys iv helped give food away from this dumpster still are eating the rice and oats after 2 years, they still have some in their basements. anyways a friend pissed on the shelter next day it was bulldozed over.

Adonis

Reaction score
haha love the recliner! oh and the "sophisticated contraption of a tarp tent." and to think I carry a 4man(cough 2man) tent. ;)

I should really take some pictures of the whole Jeep camp site set up..

I set the tent up with trees on the back side and then park the Jeep a few feet away from the front of the door then I string my tarp over top tieing to the roll cage and the trees. this gives me nice covered standing room if needed like this time of year when we are having lots of rain. I might build a larger more complex log shelter this year before the snow flys though.

Anyhow I am heading back out later today, been in town last couple weeks doing repairs and took me a bit to scrounge up the funds for a new starter! I'll take some pics of my set up and share em next time I'm near a wifi spot.

Adonis

Reaction score
haha love the recliner! oh and the "sophisticated contraption of a tarp tent." and to think I carry a 4man(cough 2man) tent. ;)

I should really take some pictures of the whole Jeep camp site set up..

I set the tent up with trees on the back side and then park the Jeep a few feet away from the front of the door then I string my tarp over top tieing to the roll cage and the trees. this gives me nice covered standing room if needed like this time of year when we are having lots of rain. I might build a larger more complex log shelter this year before the snow flys though.

Anyhow I am heading back out later today, been in town last couple weeks doing repairs and took me a bit to scrounge up the funds for a new starter! I'll take some pics of my set up and share em next time I'm near a wifi spot.

EaznaZ

Reaction score
kitchen and main area of cabin, note: 7-10 people eating lots and living near a trash station and multiple dumpsters means lots of stuff, and yes the cat was found as well as everything in and composing the cabin. 'twas a good squat.

kitchenandmainareablobface.jpg

Birdy

Reaction score
Last year around this time the kids in my friends neighborhood were all really tight and there were some woods off a dirt road right next to the neighborhood. Well on the side of the dirt road were a TON of really tall trees. The kids would always hang out back there, but there was nothing really around except for some couches and some toppled over trees. Finally the kids were bored with sitting out in the open when it rained and stuff so a few of them would get together and take time to build the fort. I don't have any pics of it from when it was huge and nice, the kids are stupid and decided it'd be fun to make the fort topple over and chop down some trees and have them fall on it.
I never really spent the night in it, I'd goto my friends house and we'd hang out with the kids drinkin beer around the fire and singing songs by afro man and smokin the shweed.
A few months later when the fort was in it's last leg the neighbors got sick of listening to the kids chop down the trees so they called the cops and they chased out all the kids and posted up no tresspassing signs. I haven't been to that area in a REALLY long time, but when I think about those days I miss the fort.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I stayed in a huge squat by the river names "the embassator sweet" And it was made of a living tree, tarps, branches, and bamboo. even had a door and a bar-bq!

eightstring

Reaction score
in terms of comfort my best was a really old cadillac in the bushes outside a little town in BC, only had one broken window so i duct taped a sheet of plastic over it, pulled out the front seats and the steering wheel/shaft, and put in another back seat from a nearby volkswagon to make one big bed.
other than that i think my couple of pallets in a tree was great. rope and tarp roof over two pallets nailed to one another and held onto some boughs with rope about 8 feet up a tree. got kinda scary during a storm though.
and my tarp shantee built around a stump on mount royal in montreal was good times too. the squirrels around there are so stupid! i got one with my slingshot without even getting out of my sleeping bag.

Geoff

Reaction score
there's some rad camping spots on the south side of austin in the greenbelt. there's even a platform/treehouse in a liveoak we would sleep in about 3 or 4 stories high.

Adonis

Reaction score
Widerstand said:
Where are the photos? I wouldn't mind seeing them.

Never actually got around to taking any pic's myself but I had a friend stay with me at another site for a week and she took various pics (mostly trying to be creative with jeep and the fire) asking her to send them to me now so I'll get those up soon as she does.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
in carrborro, north carolina we found a semi-hidden spot in the woods to pitch tents. about a 10 minute walk to the fire pit under the railroad tressel where we'd have parties and jam. the bridge had art painted all over it and there was a beautiful stream 30 ft from the pit to get water and do dishes. a short walk from there was where a free bus stopped that would take us to and from town. we squatted that place for months before we had any trouble......not the coolest camp i guess but was great while it lasted.

then were all the camps i had out in the woods in alaska growing up. there is nowhere better in my opinion to live out in the woods than alaska. by far.

Adonis

Reaction score
Thanks.

I am working on a deal now for a XJ (Cherokee) plan will be to drive to BC late spring early summer and set up longer stay camp in the Mt wilderness. I have been doing a lot of reading on vertical log construction and since I have over 6 years carpentry experience I think I may just give that a go.

Anyhow there is still lots of winter to get past first and my trailer to sell for spring (don't want to tow it that far away) and who knows what could happen/change between now and then. ;)

Cpt_knuckles

Reaction score
Probaly wouldnt count as a outdoor adventure but
me and my bud made a fred flintstone pallet house in some wal mart truck yard at 3:00 am hhaahah it was sick running water(rain) and Entertainment center (a small window looking out to the mountins and some random red blinking light)

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
Climbed El capitan in Yosemite took a little over 2 days, there were 3 others with me we all camped out on the side of the mountain. Warm clear skies stars and a full moon out. everything was quiet except for the coyotes. We busted out our portable ledges and just lied there it was very peaceful

Nym

Reaction score
This was the coolest camp i ever had!
there was a huge beached ship that was hella old
and two drift wood huts!
haha! we partied hard till i fell outta the ship drunker then hell!:crew:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads