Brew It Yourself

D

dVEC

i'm pretty sure fermentation stops at 14%. i think, maybe about 75% sure.

Depends on what kind of yeast you're using, how tolerant it is of living in ts own piss (basically). Up in Buffalo I know some kids making "Killiu!" which is basically just sugar mash bare-bones booze with "Turbo Yeast" - the packet has a picture of a carbouy rocketing to the moon. That yeast keeps going until at least 20% or so, and likely more.

bikegeek666

Reaction score
has anyone made sake?

i'm reading about it...it looks involved, but i figure it can't be as hard as all that once you do it...any experiences, tips, observations?

bikegeek666

Reaction score
has anyone made sake?

well, the recipes i've found say that you have to cook rice so it's wet and sticky, then add some stuff that you can make by making an earlier batch of sticky rice and letting it mold...i dunno, it seems like a fairly lengthy process, but i'm curious if anyone has done it...seems like no. i think i'll try that before long and report back with how it went. i need to get shit a little more solidified here to be able to do that.

raccoon42

Reaction score
has anyone made sake?

yes I have and no I havent
you specificaly need a type of yeast called koji
it is an in-between enzyme that turns the rice starch into a sugar the other yeast(brewing yeast)can eat more readily.
this at least where I'm at(canada) is difficult to find although if you have the means
you can order it online.
what I have made is an easy bastardization of sake
it's fast as beer(technically is beer) and if it turn out, quite tasty.
3 pounds rice(your suppost to have the least milled you can get but I just used whatever I could find)
1 pound raisins(most raisins are covered in hydrogenated oil, try and find ones that arent)
1/2-1 pound sugar(this is the cheater as you don't have the koji)
about 2 gallons water
normal brewing yeast
put everything in the pot-not the yeast- and
boil the fuck out of it for about 8 hours-this kills everything and make it easy'er for the yeast.-stir often as it is very prone to burning on the bottom-unless you want charcoal beer-depending on the type of rice you used you may have to add more water
as some rices expand to the point where you have no product left
use your own judgment.
repeatedly skim the film that comes off the top.
let cool to room temp. put it in a very clean bucken
add yeast, cover and wait three to four weeks
siphon into carboy add lock wait three month bottle and drink.
or if you don't want to wait after three weeks I suggest
boiling it again for 5 minutes to kill the yeast cool somewhat and drink
boiling afterwords may be tabboo to some but I'd rather not overload my body with yeast
candida farms your organs for nutrients.
hope this helps
green coon

skunkpit

Reaction score
has anyone made sake?

iv got about 4 kilos of brown rice
im going to try to sprout or malt if you will, this brown rice (aparently white and wild rice dont sprout)
and yeah make it into beer
iv made one beer so far without adding any sugar that was alcoholic
basically just need to keep reusing the same liquid with more and more fresh malt (be it rice corn barley etc etc) ill do it untill the wort is sticky to the touch then ferment.
this has been making really tasty homebrew for me
i had malted/sprouted 2 kilos of organic popcorn then boiled in a wort and fermented it.
2 kilos only made about 400 ml of probably 2-3% alcohol
beer makin is extremly resource consuming, say to grow all that grain to the finished sake, but is delicious

anyhows ill post once i finish malted rice beer stuff

raccoon42

Reaction score
has anyone made sake?

that's awsome
let me know if it actually sprouts
most the stuff is irradiated when it comes across the border and won't sprout
you'll have to show me how to malt properly next we meet
green coon
ps:how's popcorn beer?

RideMoreTrains

Reaction score
Popcorn.jpg

was in parrotsville, tn this past week... drank a shot of moonshine in remembrance of the best damn moonshiner out there... marvin 'popcorn' sutton.. anyone from these parts of TN, or the Appalachian mountains knows who i'm talking about.

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
Just to add on to this I found a pretty cool site HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community. tons of information. This winter when I was living in Roseville I got super into brewing. I found out for a cheap primary fermenter you can go to a burgerking dumpster and find their old oil containers which are #2 plastic and 5 gallons. Any plastic container thats #1 pete or #2 hdpe grade plastic is good for brewing. Awhile back I was talking about a yerba wine, well I did yerba mead it came out at about 14% abv. And tastes like a jaager like liquor. I highly reccomend. Another thing I'd like to add is if you use a good yeast from a brew store it not only survives in a higher consentration of it's own piss but it finishes faster and clears better.

wartomods

Reaction score
MattPist wrote:

What I like to do is poke a hole in the balloon with a pin and its big enough that air is being released but not big enough to allow bacteria in.

lol, bacterias are much smaller than a needle poke, but i understand it gives much less exposure, yet it is better to have a closed balloon, cause that tiny hole can let air pass and air can transport suspended bacterias and above of all it allows oxygen in, fermentationm is is a catabolic process that uses no oxygen and most of the yeast varieties will do normal respiration if there is oxygen, normal respiration will produce disgusting excretions that have no alcohol content or energetic value, only fermentation process will produce alcohol , other unpleasant bacterias will multiplicate with the presence of oxygen thing that they wouldnt be able if there wasnt any. if you dont let any oxygen in the only process the yeast or other bacteria can do to obtain energy from sugar is fermentation, thus excreting alcohol.

the quantity of yeast is relative and depends how much time are you willing to wait, yeast are living things and they can multiplicate.

Btw: i am looking to brew somekind kind of perry, second destilation can change drink quality . you can aslo add sugar in the end to carbonate the drink

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
doobie- I'm glad to hear the yerba worked out. I'm gonna have to give that one a try.

I made 38gal (after filtering, started w/ a 50 barrel full) of heavily sugared turbo-beer using a case of expired dried fruit trail mix I dumpstered and 30lbs of sugar. tasty, but needed a bit more kick. distilled half of it (2x) and added it back to the rest. Kick ass. about schnapps strength (20% ish), and tasty as hell.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Ah,one of my favorite things,and its just about the time of year to start a batch.

Pear Plonk
Came up with this one while living up in N.H.
You will need for the fermintation tank:
1- 5gal food service bucket with snap lid
1- 1 pint mason jar
1- Bic style pen(the one with the clear plastic body)
18 inches rubber tubing(3/16 id will work)

CLEAN THE BUCKET! Nothing screws up a good brew like shmutz in your tank.Take the lid,and poke a hole in the centre that the bic pen body tube will barely press in.Take the guts out of the pen,put the tube thru the hole.Attach the rubber tubing to the top of the pen body,sliding it down about 1 1/2 inches.Slide the tube/rubber down untill the rubber presses against the top of the lid.

Your mash: Get a gallon of dead ripe pears(the organic co-op in Concord ,N,H. would give them away if they wern't"pretty").Wash,trim out the stem and seeds(makes bitter)chop and dump in your bucket.Add 1 pound cane sugar(raw will also work).On your stove/heatsouce warm up 2 gallons of water to about 100 degrees.Stir in 3 packets of dry yeast(yes ,bread yeast will work for this recipe) untill disolved.Pour into bucket over the fruit /sugar.Stir,and the snap the lid on.Take your mason jar,fill about half way wtih water.Set on top of the lid,and put the rubber tubing into the water.You may have to put a weight on the tubing ,it has to stay UNDER the water(keeps random "wild "yeasts from screwing with the fermentation).Put the whole thing in an area that will stay between about 70-80 degrees F.
You probably will see bubbles forming in the mason jar almost immediatly.Great!That is your friend the yeast makin' alcohol!Leave it alone,except for a once a day rock of the fermentation tank(do not open the lid) to get the sugar exposed that will be settled on the bottom.After about two weeks,you will see the bubbles slow to almost nothing.Get a cup of sugar,open the lid quick,dump it in and stir,snap the lid back down.Let it work for another week.After the week is up,shoud be no/very few bubbles forming.Take off the top,and with a clear plastic hose/tube,sihpon off the liquid into STURDY glass bottles(old Grolch beer bottles do nfine,the ones with the bail and stopper top).Take the leavings and put them on your compost(don't use for chicken feed or hogfeed,unless you want drunk livestock).The resulting brew will have about a 16% alcohol content,and tates like candied pears.

A final note:this recipe came by way of my Uncle Gilbert(may he rest in peace),who was the greatest moonshiner in my family.He had it by way of his daddy,and as close as I can find,the first bunch of my family that made it to this country in the 1700s brought this same recipe from the old country.So if you make a batch,raise a glass to him,and all the other hillbillies that came before.

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
I once made wine with jolly ranchers. Put about 3/4 gallon water in a pot on low heat, gently start stirring in jolly ranchers until you get a really sweet mixture, but don't let it get too thick. Add more warm water if need be.

Put it in your fermenter, throw in some turbo yeast and let'er rip. Works best with all one flavor. Tried it with grape and green apple. Neither one was phenomenal, but man did it get me trashed.

churl

Reaction score
Website
clamstalk.com
If anyone has any questions on homebrewing feel free to private message me with any questions. I'll be happy to try and tailor the info to how much or how little you're trying to get out of your project and tailored to what resources you have available. My partner and I have made over 25 batches of beer, wine, and mead (what an overrated beverage!). Feel free to send questions about distillation to me as well. Also, if you're in Atlanta, stop by and see our 4 tap kegerator (picture coming soon :))

Cade

Reaction score
Homemade Wine

This is a simple brew for anyone that is interested in making cheap homemade wine. I made my first batch with Welch's purple grapes, and I'm now on my second set with some white grapes. Everything can be bought at the store for about $5, and can make up to a gallon. Next I'm going to try apples, or just plain sugar wine.

How to Make Cheap & Easy Wine! - Edot forums

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads