Brew It Yourself

snor

Reaction score
does anybody know if it would be a bad idea to boil the wine after it was done?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
snor wrote:
does anybody know if it would be a bad idea to boil the wine after it was done?

why would you boil it?

Beyond The Sun

Reaction score
To test the amount of alcohol you need a hyrdometer. You could pick one up at a homebrew supply store, or maybe even a hardware store. You have to take a measurement right before you pitch the yeast (called the Original Gravity, or O.G.) and another one when your brew is done (Final Gravity or F.G.). Using the numbers from those two readings you can approximate the alcohol content, although I don't remember the formula off hand.

Line

Reaction score
i finished mine last night and wasn't sure how strong it was because of how good it tasted until the end of the third glass when i realized shit im pretty drunk im going to mass produce this biznitch

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
being from kentucky I feel obligated to share this.
I make mine from corn and beet pulp.
a 50lb. sack of corn ($6)
a 50lb sack of shredded beet pulp ($4)

both easily available at any feed mill, TSC, southern states... etc.

I use an old bathtub, but anything that holds water will work. mix these together and fill the tub with water. at least 30-40 gallons. add yeast, ( I get the one pound blocks of fresh yeast from a bakery)

let work 8-10 days, depending on temp. just until it stops bubbling. If you want you can add a 25lb bag of sugar at this point, which will mak it super strong. if you add the sugar, you have to wait a few more days, till it stops workin.

you can strain and drink it like this, after it's done working, and it is like 12% alc.
I put it through a homemade still, which is EASY AS SHIT to make. all you need is a pressure cooker, some small pipe, and a big pot you can chill it down in.
Run it through once, its between 45-55% (90-100 proof)
run it through again, and you have authentic kentucky 'shine. anywhere from 75-90% (150-180 proof).

if you have a place to do it, msg me and I'll try to send you a diagram of the still. it's SO easy.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
no sweat. but just call me Bendix. Mr. bendixontherails is my father.:p

I will work up the diagram for the thumpkeg if anyone wants it. it is not in the pics and not necessary, but it speeds things up once installed.
basically it makes the shine as strong in one pass as the simple one does in two.

it's just easier ( and quieter ) to do it twice. thumpkegs are loud.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
would someone be willing to do a distilling workshop at the fest for making shine? that would be sweet.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
oh yeah, and if you use the balloon technique, you're supposed to let the air out of the balloon every once in a while.

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
Matt-
I'd be down. my plans for the summer are neccesarily vague, but STPFest is one of the four things on my "hit list".
would have to show up early to make the beer for it, unless it was already workin. for a big batch it can take like two weeks.

Guys- by the way, you can distill anything that has alcohol in it. but don't try distilling isopropyl. Don't ask me how I know...:sick:

Doobie D- you got me droolin over the pomegranite... I love that shit.

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
sure man. by the way, can you see/read the words in the pic?

Okay... basically you follow the instructions to brew the shit... or if you don't want to, them just try anything you have homebrewed. if it's got alcohol, it will distill.

you take the pressure cooker and fill it about 3/4 the way full, (try to get as much of the solids out, as they will burn) then seal the lid on and attach the hose ( copper really is safest ) to the thing that you would put the weight on if you were cooking. it's the thing the steam comes out. you turn on the stove and get shit hot.
the milk jug is set up with cold running water going through it. if you want you can fill the jug with ice cubes and water. the point is COLD. the cold condenses the alcohol vapor.
the steam condesses in the tube and flows into the charcoal filter. Don't skip the filter. if you have to you can use a handul of charred wood cinders and some rags, but DO filter it well. Go to wikipedia and check out "fusel alcohol":sick:

the shine runs into the bumjug from the filter and voila... it's good to go.:evil:
since water evaporates wit the alcohol, you may wish to do this whole process two or three times, each time using what collects in the bumjug as what you start in the cooker.

OH... and don't boil the pot dry tryin to get the last bit of it out... the corn and shit will burn to the pot. when you think it's gettin low, just shut it off, wait till it cools, open the cooker up and scoop out as much of the solids as you can, then add more "beer" and start again.

Post edited by: Bendixontherails, at: 2007/04/09 15:06

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
nah, it's not too bad once you know how it works.

once i start a 'run' as it's called, I can make between 8-10 bumjugs full in an afternoon.

if you want to you can cut the jugs about 25% with water, and it's still stronger than whiskey!

how do you prevent the alcohal from condensing in the second container? like, it vaporizes in the pressure cooker, goes through the first pipe into the cooling chamber. how do you ensure that it won't get into the cooling chamber and return to liquid there?

also, i have no stove i can use. would it be possible to just do this with a hot plate and an outside stove?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads