Brew It Yourself

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
So i broke down and strained and drank the pomaganate wine i was making a little early (so i thought). And DAMN it got strong, and tasty as hell. I highly recommed it! It took only 1 and a half weeks for the ballon i put on top to swell up and deflate almost all the way. Tastes like a strong mixed drink of pomegrante and vodka or something like that. 4 liters of juice, 2 cups of sugar, 2 packets of plain ol rapid rise yeast= drunk in a week and a half

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
doob- solid on man, i'm lovin the pommy idea. i gonna have to know over a naked juice truck and get some:woohoo:

cush- the alcohol is supposed to condense in the milk jug container, but it is still in the pipe... the tube/pipe comin' out of the cooker is uninterrupted till you get to the filter and jug. the tube just runs through a high and a low hole in the milk jug, with the cool water running around it. this makes the tube cold and condenses the alcohol vapor. that's why copper is best; better cooling. think of the milk jug as a radiator. it just cools the fluid inside with water around it instead of air. in fact, the real backwoods assholes often use a truck radiator as a condenser.:sick: that's how you get lead poisoningfrom cheap 'shine. most of those guys won't even drink what they make...

i guess the pic is a little out of line, but the whole apparatus runs down hill. the milk jug(condenser) is lower than the cooker, and the bum jug is lower than the condenser. that way it all flows smooth.

and anything that will boil water will work. a hotplate works fine. I have done it (once) over a camp fire. it was a pain in the ass, but it worked.

cool?

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
So i just finished consuming the pomegrante wine. Delicious! and potent(3 weeks fermented/ aged). Then i continued with red grape (blended down), shit carton-grape juice, orange-apple, and strawberry-orange-apple-yerba matte- wines. The red grape just got drank and MAN! shit got strong very quickly! take grapes (any, dumpstered preferably) put em in a blender. Add suger(a cup or 2). The skins got natural yeast already in them so they do the work for you. put the whole mess in a (preferabvly glass) container and let stand in a warm place that keeps a constant temp.. 11 days is what it took to get me nice off a little more than 1/2 a 4L bum jug. Cant wait till the rest matures. Curious about how the yerba wine turns out!

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
im workin on actual vodka right now. or at least a backwoods version. still just makin basic shine, but i started with potatoes. should be interesting to see if it changes the flavor.

yerba mate? doob- you get mad props for original ideas;)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Bendixontherails wrote:
yerba mate? doob- you get mad props for original ideas;)

duuuude... we can make our own equivalent of sparks! man i love that shit!

A better World

Reaction score
any sugar based juice and yeast will do the trick try welches grape juice with yeast let it sit for a few weeks drink and enjoy dont forget to allow slight ventilation or itl blow up like a dry ice bomb

H

heavybongloads1

MattPist wrote:
oh yeah, and if you use the balloon technique, you're supposed to let the air out of the balloon every once in a while.

What I like to do is poke a hole in the balloon with a pin and its big enough that air is being released but not big enough to allow bacteria in.

H

heavybongloads1

Also here is a better diagram of a moonshine still.

moonshine-diagram.gif

http://home.howstuffworks.com/moonshine.htm

Has more info on moonshining. I'm still trying to figure it all out myself. I just hope I don't go blind in that process. :laugh:

Post edited by: heavybongloads1, at: 2007/06/30 18:43

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
yeah. the residue can be a pain in the ass. try this. go get one of those iced tea jugs that have a spout an inch or so from the bottom. the sediment settles below the spout and won't drain off with the goods!

D

dirtbag

When we used to make pruno in jail. We'd pool up our oranges from our breakfast bags, save the crust from our bread at lunch(yeast), and save the sugar packets from our breakfast bags. Then we'd put all of that in a couple well rinsed shampoo bottles and everyone would take turns taking the bottles into the shower with them. Keeping the hot water running over the bottles would speed up the fermentation. Being that we used bread crust, we'd have a healthy batch of mold floating up top. You'd also have to open the bottle every time it started to bulge. After a few days you strain them into everyone's cups through a t-shirt.

It was very complimentary to jailhouse burritos with bologna added to them.

bikegeek666

Reaction score
the glass containers work the best in my opinion but you can use plastic ones (i've used plastic milk jugs before)
easiest homebrew
get a bum jug
drink it
get pineapple juice (100% real juice kind like dole)
(2 containers of juice cans)
1 packet of yeast
2 cups of sugar
pour the juice in the empty bum jug
put the yeast and sugar in put the cap back on shake it up
put a condom or a balloon on the top of the jug instead of the cap and let it ferment for a week
then using another empty container get a funnel and a peice of a t shirt and strain the juice
than rinse out the bum jug and put the funnel in it and strain it again
i like mixing this blue raspberry shit into it so it doesn't have such a rotten pineapple taste to it (doesn't taste bad with out the mix just something you gotta get used to)
its about 17% alc content (at least thats what i think i haven't actually done anytests.... it will get you drunk)

i'm pretty sure fermentation stops at 14%. i think, maybe about 75% sure.

bikegeek666

Reaction score
Bendixontherails wrote:

duuuude... we can make our own equivalent of sparks! man i love that shit!

i've made mint (and other herb) wine before, so the mate should work pretty well. that's a fucking great idea.

i've been wanting to start some more brews but haven't got anywhere to let shit ferment, but a kid at hellarity and i have talked about starting some brews and maybe building a still...i want to distill mead. honey vodka?

skunkpit

Reaction score
right now iv got a 35L carboy brewing bananas, pears, and some apples

got a 55L carboy that is 3/4ths full of primarily 4 different kinds of apples, a few pears raspberrys and just found a front-of-the-lawn hop bush, gonna add some hop tea into it as well also if i can find it somewheres im going to grab one of em malted barley extract cans dilute it and add to fill the carboy up the rest of the way
should be interesting

all from dumpstered fruit

long live flailcore brewing

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads