Boiling water?

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
is it wrong for me to want to try cat meat? Not to actually kill one but maybe some road kill. I figure if the asians like it its pretty good. I like chinese food :p

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
is it wrong for me to want to try cat meat? Not to actually kill one but maybe some road kill. I figure if the asians like it its pretty good. I like chinese food :p

It's not wrong as long as it's not your cat. Because if it were, I will scram if you give me a look that lasts a little too long... But mammals are pretty safe to eat as long as it hasn't been sitting around dead too long.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm not really a cat person...thats why i didnt say dog. dogs are my buddies :)
I'm just a very curious person...and maybe i want to say ive eaten cat haha

Double-A

Reaction score
speaking of bear... i know bear fat is often a sought after food, especially for primitivists, but that shit needs to be COOKED because trichinosis is a very real, very bad thing you can get from that family of animals. so, if you like bear fat and greens, cook that shit.

Double-A

Reaction score
salt does not kill bacteria in fish. if you're catching ocean fish, make sure you're not catching them in an area near any factories or military bases. i know not every military base dumps weird shit in oceans, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Spinelli

Reaction score
salt does not kill bacteria in fish. if you're catching ocean fish, make sure you're not catching them in an area near any factories or military bases. i know not every military base dumps weird shit in oceans, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
You gotta be careful everywhere, Mercury is a huge problem. Your really not supposed to eat fish out of the water anywhere here in southern Michigan, you can but..... I read a list of the worse fish to eat as far as mercury goes, the bigger the less you should eat. Just don't eat alot of fish, bottom feeders are bad so no catfish for you southern folk.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
If you've got a pot with a handle on it that goes over the top, you can whittle out a pot-holder and hang the pot from a cross stick higher up.

There's also another way, which can be easier. Find a large branch or a small log and prop one side up with two sticks lashed together or some rocks, so that the end is high enough over the fire to not catch fire. Put your backpack or some rocks over on the other end and hang your pot over the fire on it.

skunkpit

Reaction score
cats probably not that bad.. i mean anyone ever try seagull?... salty and spicy at the same time.. pretty much tasted like msg

trichinosis isnt that big an issue if your really careful.. cut into chunks boil at rolling boil for two hours.. dissect some more then pan fry to bring back some flavor

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I feel that I have to add that if you are not going to cook your fish (you should), then you really should make thin slices of it before eating it. If you ever eat sushi, you'll notice that the fish is sliced pretty thin. The reason for this is because there might be these little creatures called flukes in the muscle, and you can see them and avoid eating them if you make thin slices. They'll look like eggs in the muscle- never eat them. Some of them will actually kill you if you eat them raw.

skunkpit

Reaction score
yee with trichinosis the eggs are called cysts and they are harder to kill by heat then the trigg worms, but again with enough cooking that can be dealt with and they just become part of the protein
cooking also, though kills some nutrients is a form of predigestion

boucaneer

Reaction score
ahaha
no not so much homebum.
hes like a wilderness dude, "survival expert"
ahaha. the shows way cool though, he gets dropped in the rediculous places, like jungles, deserts, rainforests, alaska, with NOTHING around, all by himself for a week, then his crew comes to get him, he films all this shit by himself, and shows random survival techniques and such/
im not to big on tv, but most things on the history channel are pretty rad.

yeah, his name is bear grills. we do work on his boat somtimes. nice boat, very sturdy.

i saw somone on youtube fill a plastic bottle right up to the top with water untill it overflowed and then screwed the kid back on and put it on some embers. they said that because no air was in the bottle it would boil.

he fast forwarded the film and took the bottle of the embers and it was hot boiling.

but it might of been a con or a film trick.

you can imagine somone playing a trick, so when somone at home trys it on the embers burn through the bottle and the water steams up the fire. it could be a trick.

i dont know though, maybe somone could take a look and confirm.

UrbanNokizaru

Reaction score
Website
ninjabikeslut.tumblr.com
yeah, his name is bear grills. we do work on his boat somtimes. nice boat, very sturdy.

i saw somone on youtube fill a plastic bottle right up to the top with water untill it overflowed and then screwed the kid back on and put it on some embers. they said that because no air was in the bottle it would boil.

he fast forwarded the film and took the bottle of the embers and it was hot boiling.

but it might of been a con or a film trick.

you can imagine somone playing a trick, so when somone at home trys it on the embers burn through the bottle and the water steams up the fire. it could be a trick.

i dont know though, maybe somone could take a look and confirm.
Sounds like a good way to blow up a water bottle. If the water is trapped and some steam can't slip out a bit the bottle might burst...

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Okay, time to bring out the science. Taking out the air in the bottle means that when it gets heated, the pressure will go up a lot higher more quickly because water is not very compressible. It also means that the plastic will melt less because all of the plastic is very close to the water which can absorb the heat- any place with a large air pocket would melt first. Now with the higher pressure, the boiling point will actually go up, if you remember the relationship between pressure and boiling points, so the water is over 212 degrees F.

but yes, leave it in long enough, it will explode - or more accurately, tear and splash all over the place. Be careful when opening this, I feel that there's a risk of getting scalded either by water or steam.

spearchukka

Reaction score
This does work, the cap will blow before anything else. This is a very effective way to boil water if you have no other means, the water will be fine for washing etc and ok for consumption if you are in a position where you have no choice. However the dioxin content of the water after boiling will be very high, although there is little proof of the effects of dioxin's there has been recent doccumentation of dioxin poisonings. I'm not so keen on the idea of loading my body with these poisons but there was a time when I consume anything to get high, a lot of which was probably infinitely more toxic, so once or twice probably won't hurt you!

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
hmm ok that helps, catching fish is just so easy, weatcher is fishing a line on a stick, setting a line for later, making a net.
crayfish are easy to find too, i used to eat those thigns like crazy, boil em up, put em in rice with some heisted seasons, now thats a gourmet campfire meal.

mmm ever since i was a kid, i've been boiling and eating wild crayfish. an absolute delicacy, and great for gumbo!

bryanpaul

Reaction score
ive cooked things using instant hand sanitizer ... find a porta potty or grocery store that has it, bust open the dispenser and take the bag.... you can do it right on concrete ..... just cut the bag open and dump a big pile out and lite it..... it might take awhile but as long as it aint windy youl have some nice blue flame

tallhorseman

Reaction score
Ravie, you should do some research in something called a fresnal lens.

http://cgi.ebay.com/High-Qulity-FIR...aultDomain_0?hash=item5880ba2e79#ht_654wt_958

A fresnal lens is basically a plastic magnifying glass. If the sun's out you can prop it up and concentrate the beam onto the side of your canteen, or a glass pop bottle, and use the heat produced to boil or cook. You can find them in a packable size. I don't have one, but would LIKE to have one, nevertheless I've seen em in action. Sonofabitches work!!!

Furthermore, using fire, you can boil water in a strategically folded leaf, or slab of tree bark, or leather. The trick is to not let the flame reach above the water line. As long as the flame is below the water line, the water will absorb the heat, but as soon as it gets above the water line, the water is no longer there to absorb the heat and the leaf, bark, leather will flare up and burn. The same might be true for plastic or canvas, but I'm petroleuphobic(i made that word up;), I'd be afraid that the plastic/canvas would be impregnating the water with little petroleum particles.

Big E

tallhorseman

Reaction score
Yeah...I did some experimenting. A small fresnal lens is great for starting a fire in sunlight, but one small enough to pack won't boil water directly...unless you're boiling a shot glass full.

On the other hand, I just read about something called a Gypsy Well for purifying water. You dig a hole beside a creek, pond, etc. The hole will fill with water and the soil the water has to go through to get to the new hole will filter microbes out of the water. It's not as efficient as boiling, but it's much better than drinking it completely unfiltered.

Reactions: Psi em

Monterey

Reaction score
When I am on the road, I always have a wok strapped to my pack. Ninja turtle style. It protects your gear, you can boil water, fry an egg, whatever. I think pots are a PITA because you either have them dangling outside your pack hitting everything and making noise, or inside the pack gobbling up all the room. Get a wok with the loops on each side to bungee tight anywhere in SF Chinatown for like 8 bucks. For coffee, I just keep a tin can that I only use for brewing coffee so I don't have to wash it. Keep it in a few plastic bags because of the soot on the bottom.

- Monterey

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads