Boiling water?

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I would love to know different ways of boiling water when you have basically nothing. Ive allways just put a can with water, soup or whatever im cooking on a rock in the fire. any other suggestions?

tothewind

Reaction score
If you've got a pot with a handle on it that goes over the top, you can whittle out a pot-holder and hang the pot from a cross stick higher up.

Shitty illustration:
i2rgjr.jpg

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I feel like I've mentioned it before, but there is the hot rocks method. If your water container can't go over the fire, heat up some rocks (no river rocks or any stone found near water, because they will explode) and drop them into the container. If you're using a plastic container, line the bottom with something nontoxic so the hot rocks don't melt it. You can also suspend the rock with a cotton bandanna inside a nalgene bottle, so the rocks don't touch the sides. It takes a while to do, and it's a pain, but it does work.

Double-A

Reaction score
it also really helps to wrap the container you're boiling in in some clothes or your sleeping bag to insulate it (as far as rock boiling). you can also dig a hole in sand on a beash to do the same thing and is, in my experience, a little more effective than clothes. with some experimenting, you should be able to hold a rolling boil for quite a while without any flame.

T

Tailz

Widerstand said:
That seems like a bad idea if you ask me...

surprisingly, it works quite well. id never use a nalgene bottle or anything like that.... but just a regular water bottle suspended about 8 inches-1 ft. above the flames works well. and yeah, the bottle does get all warped and black. but as long as the flame doesnt touch it, the plastic wont burn, lettin out harmful chemicals and essentially ruinin the water youre tryin to boil. it takes quite a bit of time.

T

Tailz

really, theirs a show called survivor man?! haha, that seems kinda cheesy, he boiled water in a bottle? is it some homebum out in the woods or somethin haha

streetrat

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
ahaha
no not so much homebum.
hes like a wilderness dude, "survival expert"
ahaha. the shows way cool though, he gets dropped in the rediculous places, like jungles, deserts, rainforests, alaska, with NOTHING around, all by himself for a week, then his crew comes to get him, he films all this shit by himself, and shows random survival techniques and such/
im not to big on tv, but most things on the history channel are pretty rad.

T

Tailz

yeah, i barely watch tv. i think ive seen somethin similar to that tho, it was called wild versus man tho, or wait it might be man versus wild... it was alright, but i think he had a film crew.

T

Tailz

haha, i thought it was funny when he ate the live fish, i thought to myself... he has a film crew... which means theres food haha. what a dumbass. informative tho

T

Tailz

i dont have to worry about that... but then again the dumpsters behind lil ceasers always have like 3-5 pizzas in boxes when they close up haha.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads