best food to pack for a pet? | Squat the Planet

best food to pack for a pet?

Beer Mortal

Reaction score
I have a large, giant, whatever you want to call him
Rat,
And is there anything in specific I should pack for him to munch on?
I normally feed hi what I eat (which means no meat)
But I dont like to feed him rat formula from pet stores i know its just steroids.
I just wanna be able to have food for him I can store away for those times I dont have much for myself but need to feed him.
:crew:

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
trail mix, breads and grains, they dont need meat but its okay once and a while, milk, whatever. try to stay away from suger and corn syrip. but rats are scavengers, just feed them more natural things such as nuts, fruit, and the other stuff i listed and he'll do great. ive owned alot of rats in the past and they can eat practically anything we do. theye have great digestive systems.

wartomods

Reaction score
ArrowInOre said:
UH food, I suggest that stuff they have for hamsters, it's like a mix of dried fruit and veggies and grains. Maybe read up a bit on what sort of stuff is best for a domestic rat first. (For what it is worth, I do not suggest you ever feed a rat meat or meat by products, you are asking ot wake up short by one toe.).

you sent a shiver down my spine

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
haha i doubt someone wouldnt feel their toe being eaten. but there was some lady who took too many pain killers and her dog ate her face off in her sleep. literally.

bobNkamille

Reaction score
htat would suck to wake up to. You know she woke up and went to go rub her face or eyes and it hurt like a son of a bitch.

I would recommend steeling some like ferret food from your local pet store or buy it i mean it's what ever. Ferret food has a bunch of fruits and grains in it. I have been tempted to munch on that stuff from time to time. It's like trail mix but with out all the additves of people trail mix.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
animal food is just leftover crap from human food. you cant say i'm wrong. plus, for christs sake, its a rat. their purpose is to eat crappy rotten food.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Yeah rats will eat anything that you will eat plus alot of other stuff. You don't really need to pack any kind of special food for it unless you want to, they are very happy with dumpstered food.

Peregrin

Reaction score
domesticated rats aren't accustomed to eating what wild rats eat... granted they'll eat anything, its probably not going to be the best for them. the 'rat mix' you buy in pet stores is actually pretty horrible for them... loaded with fillers and shit that ishard for them to digest.

i fed my rats a mixture of oatmeal, 4 grain kashi, shelled unsalted sunflower seeds, soybeans, dried cranberries, and dried whole grain pasta... feed with lab blocks (the large pellets you'll see in pet stores)... it fed two girls for 6mo under $12... cheaper and much healthier than pet store mixes. great idea for the road, it'd be a great meal for both of you, minus the lab blocks for you :p mine occasionally got a piece of chicken breast, and there favorite... hard boiled egg. if you're not a meat fan, tofu is great for them too... mine loved it.

l_47fbb9a95386c0124c19d392521baac6.jpg

RIP my Lucy in the Sky... the cat fightin, 'stache groomin, rat.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads