A comparison - Carhartt (prada?) vs. Walls gear. Bibs, coveralls, coats, etc. | Squat the Planet

A comparison - Carhartt (prada?) vs. Walls gear. Bibs, coveralls, coats, etc.

H

hobbsc

I recently acquired a Walls freezer suit and I seem to have lost my Carhartt jacket. Since then, I've done a lot of comparison in stores and have purchased a set of Walls "blizzard pruf" bibs and was given a Walls jacket.

I don't ride trains, but I've spent a lot of time in adverse conditions and I've done my share of manual labor. I'm waiting to see how my new Walls gear holds up to those conditions. What I can say about their construction is that they appear to be better than Carhartt these days.

Most of the stitching looks stronger and they have more pockets all around for stashing stuff. I remember my Carhartt jacket being very durable, but the ones I've seen in stores lately looked pretty flimsy (single stitching and weak spots vs. Walls' triple stitching) and they were lacking places to put things.

As far as pockets are concerned, almost all of my Walls pockets are zippered or velcroed, so I don't have to modify them myself, though the zippers don't feel as heavy as Carhartt zippers.

In all, I think I'll be sticking with Walls from here on out. They're about half the price of Carhartt gear if you actually purchase them and seem to fit/feel better. Anyone have thoughts on the two or on other brands of workwear?

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
MattPist posted something on here about Dickies work gear.
I recently got some new Dickies duckcloth pants and they seem to be of identical quality compared to my Carrahts, and half the price. With the addition of them being U.S. made, I think whenever I am in the position to buy new gear, it will be Dickies.

H

hobbsc

Even though they're no longer US manufactured, Dickies have never let me down. I forgot about them. I wear Dickies work pants with some frequency.

simpletoremember

Reaction score
Second star to the right and straight on till morn
Website
myspace.com
I'm also made the compared the both as well. i had a pair of walls 'blizzard pruf' overalls and they did last longer then my pair of carhartts. but i just recently was given a carhartt jacket as a gift. noticing it was made in mexico. i have heard stories that they where no longer a unionized work shop.

Reactions: Mankini

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
I have a few pairs of "Big Bill" brand bibs, and they are much thicker cotton duck. My Carharts only last about 6 months and find them to be not as good material, the workmanship is about the same, triple stiched. The big bill bibs last over a year of hard hard use before I start patching them, usually on the ass, and right above the double knees. My lined Carhart jacket i got from my last job on the buses is pretty good, and was made in Deerborn Michigan, it's a couple years old. The Big Bills are made here in Canada. One of my carhart bibs are made in Pakistan, and the other in Mexico. I won't buy carhart pants again, maybe bibs though. I don't care for label whoring, i just want good pants, and carhart is going way downhill.

cricketonthemove

Reaction score
I like Tough Duck. Canadian brand from Winnipeg, and I believe they're still made here. I've been wearing the insulated bib overalls for about 6 winters. I generally work with concrete so I usually only get about two winters if I'm lucky (october-march) out of them and they're usualy pretty torn up from the rebar but they do the job. They've got a double knee with some plasticy shit in there to keep you dry. Same on the ass. I also have a waist length insuated jacket and have owned a couple pairs of their basic work pants. They're basically carhartts with a different name. I find they last just as long but are quite a bit cheaper. The only problem I have with the bib overalls is I blow the crotch outta them climbing up and down things but I just sewed a a piece of spandexy material over it and they're fine now. I've also worn a few pairs of Big Bill full coveralls. I like them alot but I've allways had an easier time finding tough duck stuff that fit me well.

Just checked the labels on my Tough Duck gear. Union made by Unite Here locals in Canada.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
I like Tough Duck. Canadian brand from Winnipeg.
Just checked the labels on my Tough Duck gear. Union made by Unite Here locals in Canada.

I'm gonna try those. I used to have old 60's Canadian army winter pants with rubberized insides on the butt and on the knees, and they were great. Thanks for the heads up!

christianarchy

Reaction score
I've never gotten my hands on filsons clothes, only scrap fabric, but man that stuff is tough!
some carhartt's seem to not focus on durability as much, such as the work jeans (w/o the double front) and the jackets (warm and kinda durable but not amazing). their bibs and double fronts seem to me to still be pretty strong, but outsourcing was a way lame choice.

i'm not one to buy clothes firsthand, and secondhand i've only found carhartts, but im getting money from an insurance settlement and wanna check out Walls.
I just wish there were more 26-28's in the work clothes arena..

cricketonthemove

Reaction score
Christianarchy; I'm not sure if you can get the Tough Duck gear I was talking about in the states, but if you can, they've got great gear, good prices and their shit fits skinny dudes. i'm a 28-30 and I don't have much of a problem. It seems like everyone in the trades are 250 and 6'4.

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini

christianarchy

Reaction score
Christianarchy; I'm not sure if you can get the Tough Duck gear I was talking about in the states, but if you can, they've got great gear, good prices and their shit fits skinny dudes. i'm a 28-30 and I don't have much of a problem. It seems like everyone in the trades are 250 and 6'4.

seriously, its tough being small and wanting tough gear.
tough duck online isn't showing up with much under 30x32, but ill be sure to keep an eye out and check them out when im definitely getting some pants or bibs. union made in canada sounds pretty rad too. thanks.

The Cheshire

Reaction score
I've got a pair of handed down Oilskin Filsons from my dad that are the best pants possible. I think i'll end up handing them of to my offspring someday... Never worn the Wall stuff but i've got a Carhartt jacket that can't be beat, for comfort and warmth.

D

Deleted member 1505

I appreciate both Carhartt and Walls, in different ways. I like carhartt pants and bibs better than walls, but walls I think is better with jackets because of price, and are similar in quality of Carhartt coats. Luckily I was handed down a carhartt jacket (thanks Danny), but if it ever falls apart I would get a Walls jacket. I was told that Deluth Trading Co. makes firehouse pants and I REALLY want a pair. They are supposedly promised to never rip, so I think it would be a good investment.

Also, if you have internet access and are able to buy things offline, I have found some deals on Ebay as Ive been housed up. I just got a new pair of carhartt pants for 12.99.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads