A comparison - Carhartt (prada?) vs. Walls gear. Bibs, coveralls, coats, etc. | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

A comparison - Carhartt (prada?) vs. Walls gear. Bibs, coveralls, coats, etc.

Reaction score
MattPist posted something on here about Dickies work gear.
I recently got some new Dickies duckcloth pants and they seem to be of identical quality compared to my Carrahts, and half the price. With the addition of them being U.S. made, I think whenever I am in the position to buy new gear, it will be Dickies.

those dickies duck pants are nothing like carharts, they are thinner.

Reactions: Dishka8643

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score
images
i got this same walls jacket and one of the best investments ive ever made.

D

Deleted member 20

I just got a free pair of chocolate brown timberland insulated bibs. Heavy duck with a waterproof mebrane & removable insulated part via a zipper. They are xl & I would have chosen L if it was up to me. Fucking thing slook awesome to me, probably since they are new & got kicked down to me.

Dishka8643

Reaction score
Those tmberland bibs sound well designed. I like that you can remove the insulation. imagine how nice it would be to get all wet and dirty, then just peel off the cotton shell and wear the quilted insulation to bed. Removing the insulation would let you dry the shell faster, too.

D

Deleted member 20

The duck material shell is lined with a thin waterproof membrane. They are a bit heavy but perfect for riding trains. Too heavy/bulky for hitching tho.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I like Tough Duck. Canadian brand from Winnipeg, and I believe they're still made here. I've been wearing the insulated bib overalls for about 6 winters. I generally work with concrete so I usually only get about two winters if I'm lucky (october-march) out of them and they're usualy pretty torn up from the rebar but they do the job. They've got a double knee with some plasticy shit in there to keep you dry. Same on the ass. I also have a waist length insuated jacket and have owned a couple pairs of their basic work pants. They're basically carhartts with a different name. I find they last just as long but are quite a bit cheaper. The only problem I have with the bib overalls is I blow the crotch outta them climbing up and down things but I just sewed a a piece of spandexy material over it and they're fine now. I've also worn a few pairs of Big Bill full coveralls. I like them alot but I've allways had an easier time finding tough duck stuff that fit me well.

Just checked the labels on my Tough Duck gear. Union made by Unite Here locals in Canada.
Bibs and coveralls from Duluth Trading will help solve the crotch blow out problem. Most of their work clothes have gussets sewn into the crotches. They also use fire hose material which takes one hell of a beating. They are a little pricey, but the mobility and durability which they provide is hard to beat.

Reactions: Mankini

todd

Reaction score
does anyone have the deluth firehose pants? can you attest to their durability?

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
does anyone have the deluth firehose pants? can you attest to their durability?
Yes, I have the old version of their "logger pants" and they are still going strong. The one knee wore through but the the front of the pants are double layered so it has not worn all the way through. The one cuff finally wore out at the inseam but I repaired it... I've had that pair of pants since 2008. They are a heavy pair of pants though, a bitch to pack. Some of their new clothes are different now including the logger pants, which are now made with 3% spandex in the material. My new pair seem to be just as tough... so far, but are certainly much lighter. You don't really notice the spandex content till you do something like climb a fence or straddle some fallen trees, then you're like "whoa, these have a little stretch to them." Which probably wouldn't be so bad if you are climbing around on trains. I love my thinsulate lined firehose material work vest I got from them, it's now going on it's 2nd winter. Just last night I found out how durable it was when I had to put a 6 foot barb wire fence between me and a bad situation. Not a tear or puncture sustained after my flight to maintain my freedom.

Art101

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on Carhart.I owned a set back in the 80's loved the chore jacket and bibs in MT winters.Lately I saw a pair at Zumies...WTF.I tend to avoid the gear everyone else is wearing.I love Wall gear had a few jackets and those sound awesome Highway.My personal choice is what I am comfy in I guess.

tacopirate

Reaction score
Carharts have gone downhill since they became so popular. My buddy worked for the daughter to the fortune in Grosse Pointe and they're made overseas now. I find Dickies to be a bit tougher than carhart these days.

As stated above, it's hard to beat Duluth. They are pricey but very well made. When I was really into fly fishing I would use they're shirts a good bit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads