Your favorite books? | Squat the Planet

Your favorite books?

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
What are your favorite, life changing books?

For me it was actually Man's Search For Meaning, Walden, The Freedom Manifesto abd How I found freedom In an unfree world.

Crash

Reaction score

For me it was actually Man's Search For Meaning, Walden, The Freedom Manifesto abd How I found freedom In an unfree world.
Man search for meaning is an awesome book. I love the Tao te Ching. Fight Club book is great and almost anything I've read by Bukowski.

D

Deleted member 125

Childhoods end, Johnny got his gun, Siddhartha, sirens of titan and no exit by Jean Paul Sartre but that was a play so not sure if it counts. All definitely worth a read if you like books.

D

Deleted member 24029

I'd have to say "Cat's Cradle", by Vonnegut. Also, try to find an edition of the Dao De Jing that explains the text, character by character.

Shaggy Rogers

Reaction score
I'm from a weird spectrum. My fave book, One Second After, is about the US getting bombed; not nukes but EMP. Ever since getting this book my life turned around into prepping and what if's. You could even say my whole view on life changed with it, and probably what led me to this website.

Honey Crust

Reaction score
Website
flowercrownmeaqueen.bandcamp.com
Reading Into The Wild in high school is partly what inspired my wanderlust, and made me feel like lit was actually possible to travel like that.

Laura Jane Grace’s memoir Tranny was perfect and gave me hope for the future, and I was able to relate to about 60% of the entirety of that book.

Currently reading The Dispossessed by Ursula K Le Guin and holy fuck it’s amazing. Only about a 3rd of the way in but I would still heavily recommend it, honestly.

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The post-apocalyptic book series Deathlands by James Axler (written by different authors) the book publishing ended it is continued as audio books. About a group of survivalists nomads that travel around the United States 100 years later after the January 20th, 2001 nuclear war.
www.jamesaxler.com

shannanagans

Reaction score

‘fear and loathing in las vegas’, as wild as it is, really sparked my interest in living life as freely as possible; and a book written by a distant cousin of mine named ed morris called ‘born to lose’ about the realities of life as a neglected child, the prison and foster care systems and how the system fails us every day exactly as it is designed to do.

D

Deleted member 20065

‘fear and loathing in las vegas’, as wild as it is, really sparked my interest in living life as freely as possible; and a book written by a distant cousin of mine named ed morris called ‘born to lose’ about the realities of life as a neglected child, the prison and foster care systems and how the system fails us every day exactly as it is designed to do.
I had read fear and loathing before but when my dad passed away last year I found 3 copies of it in his books so had to read it again. I've always wanted to re enact the story.

D

Deleted member 21429

I'm from a weird spectrum. My fave book, One Second After, is about the US getting bombed; not nukes but EMP. Ever since getting this book my life turned around into prepping and what if's. You could even say my whole view on life changed with it, and probably what led me to this website.
That's not weird. That's just science and common sense. The sun can fart in our direction any day and BAM! we're in the stone age. ~ peace and the power of the universe

Glass Roads

Reaction score
Not trying to toot Matt's horn or anything, but the Anarchists Guide to Travel is a very useful book that I have enjoyed since receiving it.
I'm also finishing Evasion from Crimethinc right now. A slight over romanticized I feel, but still a decent read. Would really recomend anything from crimethinc.
Rule of the Bone by Russel Banks was a great coming of age story involving lots of hitchiking and travel. I would reccomend that to any young person.
And yes, Vonnegut is great. Really like Breakfast of Champions. Shout out to the Bokonists on here!
Microcosm publishing also has a great book on traveling via floating down river all Huck Finn status. It's called "Unsinkable: How to build plywood pantoons and longtail boats out of scrap."

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
So many great books! Definitely going to check out One second after.
I've read quite a bit Vonnegut, Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, Sartre, etc.
Something Vonnegut said in Cat's Cradle has always stuck with me-
"There's enough love in this world for everyone".
Bukowski is always great. He didn't sit around awaiting to be inspired, he just wrote like clockwork.
I should have listed Ed Abbey-Desert Solitaire, as that's definitely a favorite book I always go back and read. It gives me a push to get moving.

roguetrader

Reaction score
The Great War For Civilization - Robert Fisk / Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts / Cryptonomicon - Neal Stevenson (and most of his other books).... and about a million others when I've got more time to post - I spend hours reading everyday...

EDIT : also anything by Rohinton Mistry - he's a Canadian Parsi who writes about Bombay... and Tim Powers - The Anubis Gates / On Stranger Tides...

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads