Your favorite books? (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Crash

Rambler
What are your favorite, life changing books?

For me it was actually Man's Search For Meaning, Walden, The Freedom Manifesto abd How I found freedom In an unfree world.
Man search for meaning is an awesome book. I love the Tao te Ching. Fight Club book is great and almost anything I've read by Bukowski.

D

Deleted member 125

I deleted myself
Childhoods end, Johnny got his gun, Siddhartha, sirens of titan and no exit by Jean Paul Sartre but that was a play so not sure if it counts. All definitely worth a read if you like books.

D

Deleted member 24029

I deleted myself
I'd have to say "Cat's Cradle", by Vonnegut. Also, try to find an edition of the Dao De Jing that explains the text, character by character.

Shaggy Rogers

Rambler
I'm from a weird spectrum. My fave book, One Second After, is about the US getting bombed; not nukes but EMP. Ever since getting this book my life turned around into prepping and what if's. You could even say my whole view on life changed with it, and probably what led me to this website.

Website
flowercrownmeaqueen.bandcamp.com
Reading Into The Wild in high school is partly what inspired my wanderlust, and made me feel like lit was actually possible to travel like that.

Laura Jane Grace’s memoir Tranny was perfect and gave me hope for the future, and I was able to relate to about 60% of the entirety of that book.

Currently reading The Dispossessed by Ursula K Le Guin and holy fuck it’s amazing. Only about a 3rd of the way in but I would still heavily recommend it, honestly.

AAAutin

Nomad
CATCH-22 shaped my humor.

ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE shaped my writing.

A PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES shaped my politics.

AMERICAN PSYCHO shaped my...uhhh...late-night predilections.

shannanagans

For me it was actually Man's Search For Meaning, Walden, The Freedom Manifesto abd How I found freedom In an unfree world.
‘fear and loathing in las vegas’, as wild as it is, really sparked my interest in living life as freely as possible; and a book written by a distant cousin of mine named ed morris called ‘born to lose’ about the realities of life as a neglected child, the prison and foster care systems and how the system fails us every day exactly as it is designed to do.

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Idk about life changing but top 3 are

Shantaram by Gregory something if I recall

Number of the beast by heinlen

And

Starship troopers by heinlen.

Just said fun reads

D

Deleted member 20065

I deleted myself
‘fear and loathing in las vegas’, as wild as it is, really sparked my interest in living life as freely as possible; and a book written by a distant cousin of mine named ed morris called ‘born to lose’ about the realities of life as a neglected child, the prison and foster care systems and how the system fails us every day exactly as it is designed to do.
I had read fear and loathing before but when my dad passed away last year I found 3 copies of it in his books so had to read it again. I've always wanted to re enact the story.

D

Deleted member 20065

I deleted myself

Read it about 10 years ago but Dharma Punx by Noah Levine and Against the Stream. And Eating Animals by Foer

D

Deleted member 21429

I deleted myself
I'm from a weird spectrum. My fave book, One Second After, is about the US getting bombed; not nukes but EMP. Ever since getting this book my life turned around into prepping and what if's. You could even say my whole view on life changed with it, and probably what led me to this website.
That's not weird. That's just science and common sense. The sun can fart in our direction any day and BAM! we're in the stone age. ~ peace and the power of the universe

Glass Roads

Pilgrim
Not trying to toot Matt's horn or anything, but the Anarchists Guide to Travel is a very useful book that I have enjoyed since receiving it.
I'm also finishing Evasion from Crimethinc right now. A slight over romanticized I feel, but still a decent read. Would really recomend anything from crimethinc.
Rule of the Bone by Russel Banks was a great coming of age story involving lots of hitchiking and travel. I would reccomend that to any young person.
And yes, Vonnegut is great. Really like Breakfast of Champions. Shout out to the Bokonists on here!
Microcosm publishing also has a great book on traveling via floating down river all Huck Finn status. It's called "Unsinkable: How to build plywood pantoons and longtail boats out of scrap."

So many great books! Definitely going to check out One second after.
I've read quite a bit Vonnegut, Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, Sartre, etc.
Something Vonnegut said in Cat's Cradle has always stuck with me-
"There's enough love in this world for everyone".
Bukowski is always great. He didn't sit around awaiting to be inspired, he just wrote like clockwork.
I should have listed Ed Abbey-Desert Solitaire, as that's definitely a favorite book I always go back and read. It gives me a push to get moving.

roguetrader

Vagabond
The Great War For Civilization - Robert Fisk / Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts / Cryptonomicon - Neal Stevenson (and most of his other books).... and about a million others when I've got more time to post - I spend hours reading everyday...

EDIT : also anything by Rohinton Mistry - he's a Canadian Parsi who writes about Bombay... and Tim Powers - The Anubis Gates / On Stranger Tides...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$60.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $60.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $60.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $60.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.