Worst traveler freakout you've seen?

M

Monkeywrench

You know what I'm talking about--the kid you pick up, or the person you meet in a town that wants to tag along with the punx, but only ends up not being able to handle life on the road, freaks out and heads back home.

I've heard stories of these things happening on trains--kids not being able to handle the long hours of waiting, or getting too scared to eat out of dumpsters, etc.

I've had kids just start crying and missing home, or decide they'd leave in the middle of the night and catch a greyhound home. What's the worst you've seen?

(and I apologize in advance if there's an old thread about this--I tried searching for one!)

wartomods

Reaction score
being homesick is not easy. Never happened that to me ( mind you i have "homebases" and not permanently on the road)
But similar things have happened, like: "i am gonna get back and get a ride home, my sisters wedding is in three weeks i have to get a job"

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
Not so much a traveler freakout, but a freakout none the less.

I was at the the Ocala Rainbow gathering last year with my friend Ducki(not the one here) and her sister. As we were leaving this older hippie chick comes stumbling out of the woods, looking all disoriented and confused. She's babbling incoherently, saying something about "No Rain", a dead baby inside her, and how she keeps trying to die but an angel won't let her. My friends ran off to fetch help, I stayed with her. I kept offering her water and telling her to sit, but she refused, and kept walking down the trail.

Help arrives, tells us she's been like that for three days now, escaped the first time they tried to help her and was lost until just then. One of the people who came to help mentions she might have had a miscarriage and is suffering from toxic shock. The confused lady actually starts fighting them off as they try to load her into the van to take her back to the care center.

They finally managed to get her restrained and in the van, but not before she split one woman's lip open. The whole incident really shook us up, Ducki even swore off going to another gathering...

menu

Reaction score
this isnt really a specific time but in my experience the biggest freak outs Ive seen from traveling kids is the ones who use dope. I personally dont do the shit. but one example was about 3 weeks ago I was leaving the bay area with my two road dogs and they were freaking out cause they couldnt get any methadone. they didnt get mad at me but they just fought with each other sooooo much. it was annoying. good people bad drugs=bad time

• Useful
Reactions: Blueberry

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
I freaked out the first time I rode trains and decided I would rather hitch alone from Knoxville to Nola than to get on another train, thus leaving my very nice group of 3 to ride by themselves.

...I have since gotten over it.

M

Mouse

well, I had to run back home after a boyfriend beat the living shit out of me and I had a nervous breakdown because i realized just how fucked my life had become.

can't say i know anyone personally whose done that. usually those things happen in your own time when you're alone and at your weakest so others don't get the satisfaction of seeing it happen.

drunken marauder

Reaction score
I've had a couple of freak outs... Normally they involve the police looking for me.. Running out of places to camp/and or hustle.. Being sick and owing the dopeman enough money that he really wants to see me.. Nothing to drastic really... But what is a freak out?? Someone fight or flight mode going into hyper drive..

Komjaunimas

Reaction score
Well ill try to put my thoughts together for this story.
2 Years ago in ~mid august, me and squatters/punkers from Lithuania were chillin in amsterdam, busking and singing russian songs. One guy in costume approached us and had a talk with us, he was also lithuanian. Few days later he came to us and said that he has lost all his money, haven't found a job, has no home at all (nor in lithuania, nor anywhere else). So we took him to our friends squat (NOTE : the squat was 4 story high, 8 or so flats, hot water, electricity, computers, internet ... life in there was like in "parents flat") so it was no big deal for him (all his life he was a construction worker, and had nothing to do with "alternative people or living"), aphter we left in the end of august other friends taught him to shoplift, busk... etc. But in end of February/beggining of March, the squat got evicted, they spent few days in the street till they managed to find a new squat with no electricity etc (camping indoors), and thats where the shit hits the fan... for 3 more months, he would go with me shoplift and mumble how he isn't supposed to be here, how its not his way of life, how he deserves better, bla bla bla. Aphter they got evicted from that squat in mid june, he slept few nights under the bridge , freaked out and ran away (trains?hitchin? i dunno..) to Italy, last i heard of him in mid summer he was sleeping under the bridge in Rome (triyng to find a job, rent a flat, get his life straight...)

drunken marauder

Reaction score
Well ill try to put my thoughts together for this story.
2 Years ago in ~mid august, me and squatters/punkers from Lithuania were chillin in amsterdam, busking and singing russian songs. One guy in costume approached us and had a talk with us, he was also lithuanian. Few days later he came to us and said that he has lost all his money, haven't found a job, has no home at all (nor in lithuania, nor anywhere else). So we took him to our friends squat (NOTE : the squat was 4 story high, 8 or so flats, hot water, electricity, computers, internet ... life in there was like in "parents flat") so it was no big deal for him (all his life he was a construction worker, and had nothing to do with "alternative people or living"), aphter we left in the end of august other friends taught him to shoplift, busk... etc. But in end of February/beggining of March, the squat got evicted, they spent few days in the street till they managed to find a new squat with no electricity etc (camping indoors), and thats where the shit hits the fan... for 3 more months, he would go with me shoplift and mumble how he isn't supposed to be here, how its not his way of life, how he deserves better, bla bla bla. Aphter they got evicted from that squat in mid june, he slept few nights under the bridge , freaked out and ran away (trains?hitchin? i dunno..) to Italy, last i heard of him in mid summer he was sleeping under the bridge in Rome (triyng to find a job, rent a flat, get his life straight...)

Im so jealous where do I sign up???

lice

Reaction score
this isnt really a specific time but in my experience the biggest freak outs Ive seen from traveling kids is the ones who use dope. I personally dont do the shit. but one example was about 3 weeks ago I was leaving the bay area with my two road dogs and they were freaking out cause they couldnt get any methadone. they didnt get mad at me but they just fought with each other sooooo much. it was annoying. good people bad drugs=bad time

ive had a similar experience with a couple who was into junk. i met em in santa fe and we agreed to travel together but i kicked rocks after a couple hours. they would fight nonstop about little shit and i drove me crazy i feel bad for em they were from michigan i think.

Komjaunimas

Reaction score
Im so jealous where do I sign up???

I didn't quite get you, but if its about squatting... its a sad story...
Squatting in Netherlands was banned in 2009.12.01, from 2010.01.01 its a criminal offense thath can lead for upto 3 years of imprisonment :)

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Arrow, I think you win with that story, I've seen more freakouts as a street medic than anything else- and usually it'd be one of my medic partners. But anyway, worst I've had when traveling is when the girl I was hitchhiking with was convinced that the car that had stopped for us was some kind of undercover cop... An old man who was obviously a vietnam war veteran hippy who never let go- there were photos of him and his buddies on the back window- on his hat- everywhere. He's not a cop, I told her, and if you're not coming in, then I'm leaving you here. We were in the middle of nowhere in maryland. Her vibe sense was pretty much nonexistent, but she came along, though after that summer while we traveled together, it took a while before I could hang around her without automatically getting annoyed. Other than that, just boys who apparently weren't as hard as they thought they were, who would disappear all of a sudden.

Actually years ago I tried living in Philly, but after a few months I had to leave because my lungs started to clog up with philly air. It just kept getting harder and harder to bike into center city from west philly, so finally when it finally winded me, I decided to pack up and leave for some cleaner air. Some people thought I got arrested when I disappeared. Guess I should have told more people about it. It was kind of a freakout.

lobotomy3yes

Reaction score
ArrowInOre said:
And all meg and I could think about was the Karma that was about to hit him the minute he goes to take a leak in Jail and the big boys spot them Betty Boop panties on his ass, LOL
Hahahahahaha. Good god that shit is great. I actually lol'd.

Nym

Reaction score
speaking of freak outs
i got a personal one for yall

in arcata
siting in redwood park
i decided it would be a great idea to eat a shit ton of acid
and help the group drink 5 spacebags
bad bad idea
some screaming and yelling and a black out later
i wake up to find out
i went complete wing nut
thought i was being choked and couldnt breath
4 of my friends had to hold me down for a good while
to keep me from further riping out my hair and facial piercings
this went on for a good 2 hours

so yes
even the best of us have those moments
of complete total wingnut freak outs

i think it was fucking funny as shit
and will comtinue to stay away from lsd

Johnny Lightspeed

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was livin in oakland and was kinda getting my shit together until a friend showed up with a girl. He was hitchin to nola and he kinda convinced me to go with him to get him on some trains. I agreed on a whim and decided to go. Through a strange series of events me and my girlfriend ended up seperated from this kid in northern nevada being snowed on for 3 days. I kept seeing sign for towns near my hometown. I decided now would be a good time to go home and take care of some things I was badly putting off. So I just said fuck it and walked to the NBD hiway and caught a ride home for halloween. Closest thing to a freak out I've had I guess

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads