Worst traveler freakout you've seen?

bfalk420

Reaction score
Sometimes when i freak out I smoke 300 dollars worth of crack and just figure things out after that. Never really had a freak out on the road I just freak out when I'm home.

bote

Reaction score
that´s pretty much like me, except I trade about 300$ worth of stock options, I just say gosh darn it all to hell and invest in lost causes like salt free peanut butter and public water treatment plants. and then I feel much better

Reactions: flaccidpizza

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
I definately had a hilarious freak out getting pissed off in Memphis last fall. A buddy of mine and I were camped out in this empty semi truck trailer next to a swampy-area on the outskirts of Memphis trying to catch a train. In the 2 days we were there we saw two kind-of catchable IM trains with very few ridables but didn't end up catching them. We were pretty desperate by the end of our stay to get the hell out of there as we had been eating nearby fast food and getting eaten alive by mosquitos the whole time. It poured rain for all of the second day.

So my buddy is a little more ancy to leave than me, so he convinces me to walk around and try to find the place in the yard where we can catch a junk train just to get out of Memphis. I tell him that I'm totally down for going if the rain lets up but that I -do not- want to be walking around in the middle of fucking nowhere industrial district all night in the pouring rain and would rather just kick it in the trailer if that was going to be the case.

The rain let up a bit and we took off, lo and behold about 3 hours of walking later I'm standing in the pouring rain yelling "GOD FUCKING DAMN IT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DIDN'T WANT TO HAPPEN AND IT'S FUCKING HAPPENING!! FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!" I'm generally just being a big whiny bastard about the whole thing while my buddy is trying not to laugh out loud at me. It was a hilariously frustrating situation. Eventually we got some coffee at a truck stop and hung out there until the security guard kicked us out at like 2:15am, by then the rain had pretty much stopped.

That was when I learned the importance of a decent rain-proofing setup, mine was pretty minimal at the time. Oh well, I'm not usually that testy but 5 days of actively trying to catch a train out of Memphis and failing wore me pretty thin, and Memphis sucks!!

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
hm...never seen any homesick-induced freakouts, but danno sure flipped shitty for days after accidently chugging a tallboy full of urine.

see kids, this is why we don't imbibe from discarded cans you find on the floor of a squat. i don't care how full they are.

mbgeorge

Reaction score
the only "freak out" i've ever seen.. me and my roaddog had bumped into some kids in san diego and traveled with them for a bit to colton where we planned on hopping north to reno or vegas well we waited for three days for a north bound... and nothing.. it got to the point where we just wanted to get out of colton so we hopped the next eastbound that came through, we didn't realize this was a hot shot and jumped on it drunk as fuck with hardly any water, so the next day it's early in the morning and already getting hot as fuck, and we have like an inch of water in the bottom of a gallon jug between me and my roaddog the other kids had already guzzled all their water, so i say that i'm getting off next time the train stops near or in a town to re-gear saying we were drunk and stupid to get on a train without any water heading east through arizona in the middle of summer... everyone else thinks we'll be fine... but i decide i'm getting off either way, well to make a long story short the train will NOT stop and hardly slows down ... blows right through yuma about the time it's getting so hot that we have to put our sleeping bags under us because the steel was so hot, well one of these kids starts having heat stroke while another one informs us that he has a cell phone, we are all on the verge of heat stroke at this point i couldn't even feel my hands, and kept going in and out of conciesnous so laddie decides to call the cops on ourselves, they basically laughed at us cause we had no idea where we are and they said they couldn't trace the car we were on... which is bullshit.. anyhow the train finally slows down enough in the middle of nowhere that we think it might stop so we start packing up this other kid doesn't grab anything just climbs up the porch gets to the side says "I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!" and jumps off i still haven't ever heard from or seen this kid, but he hit the ground hard enough that it shot train rocks over the side of the 48 into the bucket... we all looked over the edge and he was just laying there holding his side... the train didn't slow down enough to get off for a few more miles, but we finally got off and found some water and got a ride into the closest town. hooooray for marana

bote

Reaction score
great reminder of why I don´t travel with people unless I know them. No offense, but calling the cops on yourself, that´s about as amateur night as it gets.

Tare

Reaction score
hm...never seen any homesick-induced freakouts, but danno sure flipped shitty for days after accidently chugging a tallboy full of urine.

see kids, this is why we don't imbibe from discarded cans you find on the floor of a squat. i don't care how full they are.

Wadup Matt, so Danno Killed a tall can full o' piss eh? HAHAHAHHAHA...HAHAHHAHAHHAHAAHHA, ok, im done.

Oh, wait, was that in philly, i think i might remeber that...

great reminder of why I don´t travel with people unless I know them. No offense, but calling the cops on yourself, that´s about as amateur night as it gets.

What this guy said. What kind of shit is that?

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
Wadup Matt, so Danno Killed a tall can full o' piss eh? HAHAHAHHAHA...HAHAHHAHAHHAHAAHHA, ok, im done.

haha yeah man. he found some tallboy on the 6th floor and came storming downstairs throwing a pissfit. he was yelling and freakin' out (as he tended to do) and throwing shit. bitched about it all morning like it was everyone's fault but his.

Tare

Reaction score
Heh, heh, yeah i remember that. I honestly think he took it pretty well,i would've hurt SOMEBODY! Sadistic bastards...heh heh

lobotomy3yes

Reaction score
Not a traveling freakout, but a pretty bad freakout nonetheless.

It was halloween night 09 and I went to some party in Vancouver, WA. I had just started taking addy again and hadn't really thought about mixing it with alcohol. Didn't really seem like a big deal anyway. So I start drinking out of these fifths we had and having a good time. I got wasted real quick which was weird and I didn't even drink too much compared to what I usually did around then. Bad idea. Bad, bad idea.

Basically I remember about the fist hour of that night. I guess I just started puking uncontrollably and hella tweaking. Some drunk girl apparently started talking to me and telling me that I had to get to a hospital or I was going to die. I know she meant well, but that is definitely NOT something you want to tell someone having an amphetamine freakout. That's where I lost it. My friends say that I just started repeating "I'm going to die, I'm going to die, I'm going to die." over and over again. My friend put me in his car to pass out and went back inside. He comes out to check on me and I am sprawled face first on the curb in a puddle of vomit and blood from my face. The best part is his car door was still shut and locked! There was vomit on the side of his car and the window. Yeah. So I totally fell out of a nonmoving car WINDOW while puking and curbstomped myself. I was passed out and he put me back in the car. By then people started gathering around seeing as there is some dude just laying on the ground face against the curb. People started talking to me and I guess I just fucking lost it. I started screaming "I'M GOING TO DIE!" at the top of my lungs. For some reason I like vividly remember what I was feeling like at that moment. I felt like my heart was going to explode out of my body it was beating so fast. I thought oh shit I better call my dad and tell him I love him before I go. I mean, what a shitty way to lose your son lol. I ask for a phone to call my dad (rather calmly too) and the drunk people start getting really nervous. A lot of minors there and they thought I was going to dial 911. Man I couldn't even spell 911 at that point lol. No one would give me a damn phone though! Imagine that you are about to die and all you want to do is tell your fam you love them, and no one will let you use their phone! Then the freakout got worse. I just started screaming "give me a fucking phone, I need to call my fucking dad before I fucking die!" and shit like that. Eventually I started vomiting again and literally vomited out my lip ring. Then I just started moaning about phones and dads and my friend was like "oh shit, maybe he really IS in trouble." I call my dad and start apologizing for everything I've ever done and some stupid fucking drunk chick takes my phone. I start screaming again and my dad is hearing all of this after being woken up in the middle of the night lol. The girl keeps saying that I'll be fine, just had too much to drink and need to sleep. My dad is like uhhh no way is THAT from alcohol. He tells her to bring me to a hospital and she starts baby talking him lol. He gets pissed and finally just tells them to bring me over there ASAP. Someone brought me home and my dad said I was over the toilet for the next two hours before I went to bed.

The best part of it is that I wake up the next morning (I was a pirate for halloween) with absolutely no recollection of anything and I am wearing nothing but these huge pirate pants. No wallet, no smokes, no phone, no shirt, no socks, no shoes. I am covered in vomit, mud, and blood, and I'm in fucking pirate pants. Lol.

I have never had anything like that happen again, but apparently for some people mixing adderall and alcohol makes you go bonkers. My friend said it's like shooting meth into your heart and that most people's hearts stop when this happens. So yeah I would not recommend mixing this. 99% of the time it just lets you drink shit tons more booze, but man that 1% isn't worth it lol.

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
There aren't any particular interactions you'd have to worry about between racemic amphetamine salts and alcohol. It sounds like you just took too much adderall (and maybe too much booze), and got pretty sick.

If we're talking about adderall freakouts, I have one. I used to do MANY drugs when I was younger, including a two week binge on amphetamine. I mean redosing hourly for two straight weeks, never sleeping or eating. I had a psychotic break from reality. I thought I was in a mental ward, and had been locked there for years. At another point, I was seriously considering shooting myself with a nearby handgun because I thought that two people had been killed violently due to my actions. Then I actually went to N. Dakota (weird, as I've never been there) to hunt down the killer.

Luckily, I had my girlfriend with me and she was able to talk me down. That was the most scared I've ever been of anything in my life, and a large part of why I'm mostly sober these days. I still worry that if she hadn't been there, I might not have made it back to sanity...

mike

lobotomy3yes

Reaction score
There aren't any particular interactions you'd have to worry about between racemic amphetamine salts and alcohol. It sounds like you just took too much adderall (and maybe too much booze), and got pretty sick.

If we're talking about adderall freakouts, I have one. I used to do MANY drugs when I was younger, including a two week binge on amphetamine. I mean redosing hourly for two straight weeks, never sleeping or eating. I had a psychotic break from reality. I thought I was in a mental ward, and had been locked there for years. At another point, I was seriously considering shooting myself with a nearby handgun because I thought that two people had been killed violently due to my actions. Then I actually went to N. Dakota (weird, as I've never been there) to hunt down the killer.

Luckily, I had my girlfriend with me and she was able to talk me down. That was the most scared I've ever been of anything in my life, and a large part of why I'm mostly sober these days. I still worry that if she hadn't been there, I might not have made it back to sanity...

mike
The problem with adderall and alcohol is your heart. Mixing depressants and stimulants can have weird reactions occasionally.

Damn that sounds like a crazy two weeks though. I usually just go a couple days at a time with out sleep, but fuckkk man that shit sounds rough. I'm more of a steady doser with amps. I like the overall feeling of it rather than the rush or high. 80-120mg of XR a day usually, and the occasional 200+ when I feel like really binging.

Fuck two weeks though lol.

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
The problem with adderall and alcohol is your heart. Mixing depressants and stimulants can have weird reactions occasionally.

Heart problems probably don't explain your symptoms, though. As for the stimulant + depressant combo, people are usually talking about users who intravenously administer things like heroin + cocaine or heroin + methamphetamine when they reference studies about cumulative (as in "not acute," like your symptoms were acute) heart damage.

Not trying to argue with you, I just like to know the answers for biochem shit. So link me to a study if I'm wrong!

mike

lobotomy3yes

Reaction score
Heart problems probably don't explain your symptoms, though. As for the stimulant + depressant combo, people are usually talking about users who intravenously administer things like heroin + cocaine or heroin + methamphetamine when they reference studies about cumulative (as in "not acute," like your symptoms were acute) heart damage.

Not trying to argue with you, I just like to know the answers for biochem shit. So link me to a study if I'm wrong!

mike

Oh no, your posts are actually helpful. I'm just going off the stuff I found on some medical sites I googled. Basically they way I see it is your heart rate goes through the roof while you are in a fucked up state already, if you freak out it is probably going to be bad. Heart rate spikes are never fun, but if youza fucked up that rush is going to feel pretty intense.

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
Oh no, your posts are actually helpful. I'm just going off the stuff I found on some medical sites I googled. Basically they way I see it is your heart rate goes through the roof while you are in a fucked up state already, if you freak out it is probably going to be bad. Heart rate spikes are never fun, but if youza fucked up that rush is going to feel pretty intense.

Amen. You get that heart rate increase, and add in WAAAAY too much nor/adrenaline, glutamate, nor/epinephrine (these chemicals are associated in any fear response situation), and you've got a recipe for disaster.

mike

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
i freak out sometimes. i get tired of arguing, and tell every one i want to hop by myself, i'll meet you in the next city. i always make it there though. my worst freak-out is i wake up in a frenzy from night terrors. i tell people when we get a hote leave the t.v. or alight on unless you want the curtains ripped of the wall. as long as i can see, i don't freak. worst alchohol freak was in nola.i got stopped for spanging on decator st. i got whisky black-out pissed off. i was told i was in a fight w/ a tourist kicked out a car window,and jumped on the hood of a cop car and pissed on the windshield on royal st. in front of a ton of tourists. lucky me had friends to get me the hell outa dodge before i got arrested.

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
Had my first real freakout.

The short version: Two weeks ago, LARGE quantities of alcohol in a short amount of time(15 suicide shots in half an hour, on an empty stomach) and being rejected/ignored by my girl on what was supposed to be "our" night.

Went outside to smoke a cig when the booze hit me all at once, started flipping out, walking down the street screaming and kicking/throwing anything I could get my hands on. My friends literally had to drag me back into the house, where I spent a couple of hours praying to St. Porcelain, crying my eyes out, pushing away anybody that tried to help me, just repeating "I don't need anyone, just let me die"

Normally I'm a happy drunk, but that night I was somewhere between angry and utterly fucking rock-bottom hopeless. Looking back, I'm pretty sure I was, in fact, trying to kill myself.

P

Pseudonymical

Alright, so last year I went out travelling for the first time. This was in August. I went with my friends Neil (metalhead) and Evan (indie music? hipster? I don't even fucking know anymore). It was our third day out, and we were in Boston. We ran into some crusties busking, and we joined in and played music with them for a a while. We wound up asking them about train hopping, and this guy named Rebo took us down to Boston's yard. Now, up until now Neil had been like "come on, you guys are pussies, let's ride a fuckin' train!" while Evan and I had been saying that we knew he was just gonna ditch when things started to look a little sketchy.

So we get to the yard, which is pretty inner city, and it is absolutely filthy, and covered in shit. We had never ridden before, and we really didn't know what we were doing. After a minute Neil just says, "Yeah.... This is where I'm gonna ditch you guys, and take a bus back home.." And then he came back and asked us to help him climb over the fence again...

And in the end, we wound up realizing that we really didn't know what we were doing, so we left like fifteen minutes after he did, and we didn't actually ride until we'd hitched to Wisconsin, and had learned a lot more about it.

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
Amen. You get that heart rate increase, and add in WAAAAY too much nor/adrenaline, glutamate, nor/epinephrine (these chemicals are associated in any fear response situation), and you've got a recipe for disaster.

I can't figure out how to edit my posts, but I don't know what I was thinking as I typed this. Nor/adrenaline are the same things as nor/epinephrine.

mike

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads