Worst State to Hitch Through? | Page 8 | Squat the Planet

Worst State to Hitch Through?

rusty

Reaction score
Fuck florida and fuck ohio. Im from new england and have caught rides pretty quickly around here. Pheonix is right, do not hitch on the interstate, cops will stop u anywhere but they take hitchin on the highway pretty serious. Ive also not have any luck at "rest stops" been kicked out of them pretty quickly.

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
People saying Nebraska, Ohio, etc. There's a trick to hitching through the heartland... You need a gas can.
Seriously.
If you've got a gas can nearly anyone will pick you up! Nobody likes to run outta gas, so the folk are conscientious like that. Without one, well, you're just a hitchhiker and they don't like to encourage that. Gas can means you're going somewhere! :)

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
People saying Nebraska, Ohio, etc. There's a trick to hitching through the heartland... You need a gas can.
Seriously.
If you've got a gas can nearly anyone will pick you up! Nobody likes to run outta gas, so the folk are conscientious like that. Without one, well, you're just a hitchhiker and they don't like to encourage that. Gas can means you're going somewhere! :)

I once read a biography about Hunter S. Thompson that included photos, and one of the things that I found the most fascinating was when he converted an old metal gas can into a suitcase, and used that to hitchhike around the country.

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
Hitching Montana was bullshit.
Literally walked 25 miles on the interstate without one person stopping in the middle of summer... Almost ran outta food and water. Shit was fucked. Didn't get one ride from a person that was actually from MT. All out of staters..

AAAutin

Reaction score
Almost ran outta food and water.

I actually ran out of water—twice—walking 94 in Montana.

The first time, it was early evening, and I got off the interstate to walk the three miles to the nearest gas station. As I was chilling under the overpass, a couple in an RV kicked down a gallon. I started heading toward the gas station for another, but decided I'd rather get back on the interstate and make miles. Bad move.

Early the next day, I was already down to a quarter-gallon. By the time it hit 115° in the noonday sun, I was long out and cramping up badly. I could only walk for about ten minutes without resting. Luckily, I happened to spy some cardboard blown into the freeway fencing. I pulled out my trusty marker and made up a sign reading "WATER." It took another ten minutes of walking with that sign for a trucker to pull over and leave a couple bottles of Gatorade and a grip of water along the shoulder ahead of me. I have never pounded anything quicker—I must have downed four 16 oz. bottles of water in 45 seconds flat. (So quickly, in fact, that I briefly went blind.)

STILL BEATS WYOMING, THOUGH.

Reactions: Ezra Fyre

Gwasher

Reaction score
Georgia for sure. Not so much the daytime but at night is when all the tweakers come out. If you hate small talk but get picked up by one of these fuckers, youre screwed.

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
I actually ran out of water—twice—walking 94 in Montana.

The first time, it was early evening, and I got off the interstate to walk the three miles to the nearest gas station. As I was chilling under the overpass, a couple in an RV kicked down a gallon. I started heading toward the gas station for another, but decided I'd rather get back on the interstate and make miles. Bad move.

Early the next day, I was already down to a quarter-gallon. By the time Luckily, I happened to spy some cardboard blown into the freeway fencing. I pulled out my trusty marker and made up a sign reading "WATER." It took another ten minutes of walking with that sign for a trucker to pul
Luckily, I happened to spy some cardboard blown into the freeway fencing. I pulled out my trusty marker and made up a sign reading "WATER." It took another ten minutes of walking with that sign for a trucker to pull over and leave a couple bottles of Gatorade and a grip of water along the shoulder ahead of me. I have never pounded anything quicker—I must have downed four 16 oz. bottles of water in 45 seconds flat. (So quickly, in fact, that I briefly went blind.)
QUOTE]

GENIUS! Way to utilize your trusty marker!!

Reactions: AAAutin

DaveAmbrose

Reaction score
So my experiences in long distance hitching with strangers isnt that long yet (but my how thats rapidly changing). Either or ive been told kansas is one of the hardest places to get through and its almost worth going north to nebraska. Any input advice stories or side effects are welcome. I think this should be a good thread to add to the bunch.
Florida really sucks

waywardonward

Reaction score
So my experiences in long distance hitching with strangers isnt that long yet (but my how thats rapidly changing). Either or ive been told kansas is one of the hardest places to get through and its almost worth going north to nebraska. Any input advice stories or side effects are welcome. I think this should be a good thread to add to the bunch.
wyoming, or ohio

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads