Worst State to Hitch Through? (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!
D

Deleted member 29173

I closed my account
Bad luck with cops for me in Idaho. Had 3 cops, including a sergeant, tell me its 100 percent illegal to hitchhike in the state of Idaho. However, you can walk on the interstate so that's cool!

Central Massachusetts had the most unfriendly people and long waits in my experience. Western Mass might as well be a whole nother state though. One guy told me "Yeah, Western Mass is basically Vermont."

AJBird

Lurker
You might have more luck near the panhandle but SF is a dead end. people are cold and the streets are scalding hot. cops arent too keen on scruffy looking travelers either as they wouldn't want you scaring off the tourists :/

dtlight

Lurker
Went through WV to the U.P. a short while ago, and parts of Ohio were definitely some of the worst experiences I've had yet.

Arizona. I lived there for a while as a younger teen and I have friends who've had to hitchhike through there. It's ridiculously hot, even sometimes in winter, and people hardly ever pick you up. I've seen a lot of people get stuck for days or weeks at a time.

Though, this was in the Phoenix area, so maybe different cities are better. I wouldn't personally risk it.

thejword

i agree with those saying utah. also, i get hassled everytime i go through new jersey.

julianface

Pilgrim
I've had the worst time on the busier roads or trying to get out of big cities. Copenhagen was the worst. The more obscure the road the better cause people feel more personal responsibility to help rather than thinking someone else will help you out

stove

Pilgrim
The cops around Albany, NY are the most consistently shitty, but for overall state I'd say Ohio- You can see it in the driver's faces, nobody wants to be there.

BrerBear

Florida. Hot, and the drivers suck
Definitely true! I’ve hiked from Georgia to Maine & from Mexico to Canada twice via the Pacific Crest & Rockies...no State was as difficult as Florida when it came to hitchhiking.

99% of folks don’t even know about the Florida Trail & they think anyone hitch hiking is a tweaker or a criminal. You add in all the transplants and tourists, they will never help you. The only people who would give me hitches, were younger workers who sympathized with my plight & happened to be on the way home from work.

Tony G

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Definitely true! I’ve hiked from Georgia to Maine & from Mexico to Canada twice via the Pacific Crest & Rockies...no State was as difficult as Florida when it came to hitchhiking.

99% of folks don’t even know about the Florida Trail & they think anyone hitch hiking is a tweaker or a criminal. You add in all the transplants and tourists, they will never help you. The only people who would give me hitches, were younger workers who sympathized with my plight & happened to be on the way home from work.
Florida sucks but Tennessee was the worst miles of road with nothing on it and nobody wanted to stop luckily for me i know how to hop trains

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.