White Ghettos

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
Where in the country are the coolest white ghettos? I live in one that's gotten gentrified over the past couple of years and you can still see the roots showing through in the kids who hustle on the street corners and the constant fights in the street.

I watched a bunch of hood movies when I was younger, but I never knew there were non-black inner cities like that, so I'm sort of obsessed with it now. Any come to mind?

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
Yeah, the impression I get is that there's a lot of those types of areas in northern new england. Someone told me Portland Maine is one of the coolest places to hangout; everyone's poor, white, and cool.

Memphis - I know! I really loved it there, there's something in the air. Hopped out of the CN yard a couple times and felt oddly at home hoofin it through the hood to get out there...

Reactions: Mankini

Speedy

Reaction score
I grew up in an unincorporated part of st. pete florida that was a redneck white ghetto. They used to get wasted and shoot their guns in the air. Also the guys with too many dui's used to drive their lawn mowers to the bar that was actually in the neighborhood, in between houses. If your ever in florida around st. pete, you wanna hit up lealman

stove

Reaction score
Portland really isn't that bad. I grew up near boston, super-suburban, but got out when I got the chance. There are still some shady areas around (Dorchester heights for example). Maine, NH, VT...When you get away from the bigger towns, it can get pretty messed up. Northern Maine can be a scary place if you're not cornbread and christian. If you want a real while ghetto, look at some of the old logging towns in northern New England. Lots of folks, not a ton of money, and nothing to do but grass and meth.

D

Deleted member 20

Yup I grew up in (Rossie) Roslindale, MA another white, Irish, Catholic neighborhood in Boston next to Dorchester(the dot),South Boston(southie), jamaica plain(jp, or jamaica spain) & West Roxbury forgot about Hyde Park & Charlestown & I am sure many more. These were all working class white ghettos but with the influx of yuppie $ there are few families left, & now Boston is turning into a blur, a memory.

Franny

Reaction score
I live in unincorporated Delray Beach, FL, not far from Speedy really. Florida is full of redneck "white ghettos" as you call them. So is Southern Georgia. In South Florida though, the areas are small and fairly segregated. My particular neighborhood is quite racially mixed, but just North of me is Lake Worth (predominantly hispanic/black lower-income area) and just south of me is fucking Boca Raton (where all the rich old New Yorkers go to die).

Xenia, Ohio isn't a big city, but it's definitely a ghetto, and I enjoy visiting there a lot.

D

Deleted member 20

It never occured to me that where I grew up could be classified as such until Chro mentioned his mum is from there. Me ole stompin grounds just a hop skip & a bullet shot away from me mas house. To this day when asked where I am from, I have to start with my neighbahood in Boston & then explain where i live & have lived. If eva you are in South Boston, feel Blessed for its gods country. P.S lets not refer to these places as white ghettos if you ever meet the residenst in person because they dont even know thats where they live yet & sometimes will never leave the neighborhood. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=southie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Boston,_Boston

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Bespoke like a true Southie,highwayman!Just curious,did you ever here about two guys that were pub crawling thru Southie about 16 years ago on St. Patrick's Day evening?The ones that as a bunch of the ald boys were singing "Danny Boy"suddenly yelled out"Lie Down Croppies,Lie Down!";and as over half the bar was picking themselves up off the floor to give chase to the cheeky barstards,bolted and caught the T for parts unknown?
They never did catch us!

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Neither Limey nor Prod,lad;and my partner in crime that eve has the last name 'o Kielly.No,was too much youth,the Devil herself,and a bit too much of the water of life.Glad to make your aqquantance,and welcome to the site!John Powers and beer on me if ever we meet!

Reactions: Mankini
D

Deleted member 20

Deal & I too have an O & an ' in my last name. I usually stay away from the wiskey but will make an exception if & when we meet.

No ney never drink up them pints, no ney never will i play wheni'm sober no never no more. "The drunken warbler'The prodigals

JungleBoots

Reaction score
theres a small city within detroit, called hamtrammk its still got a lot of minorities, but a lot of the people there are polish immigrant families... which technically is white. its not quite a ghetto but its run down.. and it aint pretty.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads