What to pack?

Reaction score
I plan to get one of those wearable hat cams when i get some spare cash on me. They aren't cheap but if you do your homework, having one of those suckers on ya, you won't have to worry about snapping photos or video when taking a ride.

just saying.

Reaction score
I've looked at GoPro, they're ok. I was thinking more along the likes of one of those smaller, cheaper helmet cams that are easily attachable and have better capabilities than a GoPro cam. Prices might be a bit steep so I'll be scanning either EBay or Amazon.com for one.

fleasandlice

Reaction score
So far....

Medium size alice pack (wishin I woulda gotten a large)
Tarp
Sleeping bag + a fleece blanket
Train atlas/CC
Knife
First aid kit+ bio wipes
water container (where can I buy water purifying tablets?)
Led headight
Tape player + tapes & batteries
Rollies and so on...

Still lookin for-

Gloves
Water purifying tablets
Thermals
"Hobo tool"
Road dog

bIackswan

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Zelda Item Screen.jpg

eclipse

Reaction score
someone showed me this recently:
take two aluminum cans, cut the bottoms off each one, about an inch up, put some fiberglass insulation in one of the bottoms, put the other bottom over/inside that one, sorta like a sandwich, so its one joined piece. poke small holes around outer edge and the concave part of only one can bottom.get some "heat" fuel additive at the auto parts store and put in about two tablespoons, let the insulation soak it up, and you've got a small stove, like a steno, that will burn with a good blue flame for about 20 minutes. good for heating up water for the instant coffee i carry in my pack, or if you get tired of eating cold ravioli out of the can! also helps keep a fire going if shits wet and they're small and almost weightless.
and i would never ride while on datura... how the fuck can you stand up!? "just let me sleep, just let me sleep..."

JaimaJaima

Reaction score
So far....

Medium size alice pack (wishin I woulda gotten a large)
Tarp
Sleeping bag + a fleece blanket
Train atlas/CC
Knife
First aid kit+ bio wipes
water container (where can I buy water purifying tablets?)
Led headight
Tape player + tapes & batteries
Rollies and so on...

Still lookin for-

Gloves
Water purifying tablets
Thermals
"Hobo tool"
Road dog

you can get water purifying tabs at a good ole trusty walmart. right there buy the fishing gear, simple packaging that's about the size of your hand. easy to nick ; ]

jake4569

Reaction score
Alice pack, eureka tent, compression sack big enough for sleeping bag and a few articles of clothing, 2 pairs of boxers, 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of shorts, knife, pepper spray, flashlight, book on edible wild plants, shoe strings, sneakers, 1 hoodie, gloves, thread/ needles, safety pins, sleeping bag, some tylenol, extra knife, cotton balls in petroleum jelly just incase i cant find dry tinder. Think thats about it

Cool Breeze

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sleeping bags you want something Not to lite not to heavy 50 below Extreme cold bag to heavy unless your in alaska year round
20 below Intermediate bag better there is also a synthetic bag good -10 liter dark colored for night travels

couple pair of clothes Water is a must so its only 100 miles ill be there in two hours or you may sit on the side with a bridge in your way no walkways and a string of tankers sitting on it no water 114 degrees your fucked

Multitool P38 hobo tool good to have

Skinner0box

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I 've never hopped a train, but I've been homeless on and off for four years give or take. Ive got way, way too much shit- a giant four by four by one suitcase full of clothes (I have more clothes than I have any right to have) rolled up, and my enormous portfolio, and a big portfolio full of patches and spare cloth. My backpack is full of papers, cds, an umbrella, spraypaint, BF Skinner's Beyond Freedom and Dignity, a zippo, a giant zippo, a length of chain, Dr Bronner's soap, some spare socks, some Q tips, some paper towels, my toothbrush, my sketchbook, and variously numerous art supplies- attached to it is some foot-high heel black stilletto stripper shoes, a french foreign legion sleeping bag, an empty catshaped miniba, and a canvas bag full of paint, some pliers, nail polish, boot polish, scissors and two lengths of cheap rope, a disposable camera, a masterlock and key, and finally my work boots.
My jacket prolly weighs at least ten pounds, I have nails, bolts and spikes on one shoulder and chains on the other- (Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z Theory). I've got some cloth fingerless gloves pinned to it and some leather fingerless ones in the zipper pockets, which also contain a magic bag containing freeze dried tea, a floss box with a needle in it (great way to store a needle), two spools of thread, some headphones, a mini flashlight, a buck multi tool pocketknife, some clothespins, a compass, and a 3d puzzle thing. In the other zipper pocket there's a mini first aid kit containing birthday cake candles, antibacterial ointment, alcohol prep pad, some napkins and a band aid. In one breast pocket, I've got a mini notebook,a cigarette roller case, this awesome picture of a cat, and a bag of papers. In the other Breast pocket, an I Ching set I made myself. The last time I got searched by the Knockers, the cop got tired of looking through my shit and gave up when he got to the second bag.
Bet you had fun reading that.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
homeless on and off for four years.....a giant four by four by one suitcase...............
dude, just go full on homebum status and get a shopping cart....................

chaosfactorxx

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have in my pack currently:
2 pairs of longjohns
1 thermal
2 sweatshirts ( I desperatly need a jacket since I lost my carhart)
1 sweater
My sleeping bag
My patchwork stuff (material, needles, floss, the usual)
Dog food
Water
Hobo tool
Hat
Map and crew change

That's pretty much all I carry, though it always seems to be changing depending on what I get/lose. :]

Reactions: todd

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads