What to pack?

Ok....
I did not have time to read everything pervious, so I don't know if this was mentioned yet - but I'm going to bring up something I take with me when I'm kayaking across the Long Island Sound: it's called a SPOT and it's part ELT part location device.
Cool thing about it is - through google earth - I can have up to 10 email address'es which I can send updates to - so my friends can chart my progress - and also know where I'm at / was at last - should something go horribly wrong.

Its expensive, but well worth it since I always travel (by kayak) year round alone....................

androsapien

Reaction score
Am I the only one who wears a toolbelt, along with my pack? You'd be shocked at how much you can fit in those things, and leave valuable room in your packs for the bigger shit you may need!
i just started wearin a small size fanny pack, definitely a good think ta have. sharpie, lighter, knife, headlamp, all your change. good stuff!

Asar

Reaction score
-Zip lock bags
-lighter
-tarp
-sleeping bag
-garbage bag/poncho
-knife
-stainless steel camp cup
-small am/fm radio (i dont do the mp3 thing)
-clean socks
-emergency snacks/water
-a list of people to contact in case of an arrest/death/injury. (not kidding, my dads best friend was killed by a train, homeless for 15 years, had no ID, and it took 6 months to find out who he was)

Jawline

Reaction score
I have a medium alice pack
Strapped on the outside:
- Tarp
- Sleeping Bag
- Jacket
- Sweatshirt
- Vest

Main pack:
- An extra shirt
- An extra pair of pants
- A pack of socks
- Long johns
- Pajama pants (for layering in the cold)
- Dog bowl
- Dog+human food
- Patches and cloth
- Sometimes a book
- Hammock

Left pocket:
- Any electronic wires I need
- MP3 player
- Phone
- Usually some granola bars

Middle pocket:
- Vitamins
- Packtowl
- String
- Tooth brush+paste

Right pocket:
- Needles
- Floss
- Knife
- A small box with any form of ID, jewelry, knife sharpener, some matches and lighters

Top flap:
- Markers
- Wipes/napkins
- Duct tape
- Any paperwork/ids I'd need quick access to (spare service dog card, my actual ID since i dont have a wallet and things fall out of my pockets all the time)

and I think that's about it.
I like to travel light as fuck, this feels like too much.

ccm

Reaction score
I'd recommend staying as light as possible, but have the simple technologies you need to survive. If you're form a colder climate, I'd recommend finding a good steal on a base layer. Or thermals ( moisture wisking and midweight if possible depending on the climate). a mid layer fleece sweater, and a hoodie or dark windbreaker. an extra pair of thermals or base layers. Wear hiking boots. Or something stronger. Make sure you have your neck, head, hands and face protected if you are in or will be traveling through cold climate.

Sleeping bag
tarp
water bottle
headlamp
atlas and a train map if possible
a utility and a strait knife

optional:
bivy. (emergency or framed)
phone
shades or goggles. depending on region
steal some jerky and some nutritional bars
nutritional powder for water
hygiene products like baking soda, essential oil, toothbrush paste etc
all this shit you can find free at a local store so don't pack it ,except for dry food

a book to read
an instrument to practice

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
sleeping bag
tarp, sometimes a lightweight tent
tons of rope
duct tape, super glue & guerrilla glue, dental floss/needles, zip ties, safety pins, extra boot laces
1 mre meal incase i get lost in the middle of nowhere
a book to read
a few heavy duty garbage bags
crew change, rail maps, road atlas
work gloves
sham wow towel
leatherman wave tool
pocket knife
key light & headlamp and a few sets of extra batteries
camera and extra batteries
a few sharpies
1st aide kit
survival blanket and other things in survival kit (fish hooks, wire, water proof matches, candles, emergency energy pills, survival tool with compass thermometer, ect. non lubed condom, wire, wire saw, mini SAS survival handbook, pencil with duct t ape around it, small notebook and much more)
instruments
thermarest mattress
hammock
pack cover
boots
sometimes cheap sandals for public showers
hygeine bag (tea tree oil for my dry dread head, gold bond powder {with this stuff you can wear the same socks for DAYS without changing them}, hand wipes, tooth cleaning stuff, bio degradable soap, chapstick)
clothes (about 10 pairs of socks, a few pairs of bockers, a wife beater or two, longsleeve shirt, waterproof jacket, sometimes long johns, a t shirt or two, one pair of pants, thin shorts for swimming, a scarf if it gets cold, sometimes gloves, a few extra bandanas)
fire performing gear
compass
a few metal water bottles
tons of carabiners (these things are like gold!)
some random patches and beads for trade and jewelry making and other random tradeables i come across

if this sounds like a lot it is!!! my pack usually weighs between 45 and 55 lbs. it used to weigh 65+ ...

K

Kim Chee

Thought I'd add another item: I use tupperware containers in my pack. They're good for keeping things from getting lost or wet. Also, to help with the moisture issue I put in a few of those silica gel packs that you find in a new shoe box, they wont dry your already soaked shit but they will help eliminate condensation/light moisture.
TO9gqRGPHOGq2xL0y9mFXwqVKSaZcjhc_LUN073D8D9bojJi_c.jpg

R

Rager

Some say too much on list! i disagree i think the lists are fine...i would love to run into someone with all this gear.....Gear up kids, safety first right always be prepared... hell comeon down to GA and i'll even check your list for you.

F

Firefly

Does this actually keep cheese fresh? For how long? I've never heard this, but I hope it's true- a block of sharp cheese would be such a luxury.

Most hard cheese will last sometime without refrigeration, it really depends on what type of cheese. If you were eating off the cheddar block every day or every other day, you would eat it well before it went bad. The most it will do is sweat and mold. Some of the more exotic cheeses are cured for months and up to a year. If it starts to mold simply cut off the mold and the cheese is still good.

F

Firefly

My Pack:
Cheap Glenwood Canyon Pack(internal frame)I bought at Wal-mart for 20$
Coveralls(wearing these when its cold)
2 sets of Longjohns
Pair of pants
2 Shirts
Light jacket
6 pairs of socks(rolled up to save space)
3 Boxers
Pair of Gloves
Knitted Hat
Boonie Hat(when its not cold)
2 Bandanas(normally use one to filter debris if i'm pulling water from a natural source before i boil it)
Multitool
Folding Knife
Fixed Blade Knife(on my belt, keeps the boogie man at bay)
Notebooks, some pens and Pencils
Rail Atlas
Hygiene gear(soap, toothbrush/paste/floss, deod)
Vitamins, Advil, Antibiotic paste, Bandages, Iodine(also for cleaning water if I can't boil for some reason)
Crank Flash light, Small LED flash light
Firesteel, box of matches, 2 lighters
Bag of tinder(handful of dryer lint, and lightwood bits)
Zip ties
8x10 Camo tarp
Lightweight Tent(strapped to the side of my pack)
100' of paracord wrapped around straps of my pack in various lengths
Water proof ponch
Hobo PVC pipe fishing kit(fishing line wrapped around the pipe, and hooks, sinkers, small bobbers, lead shot inside pipe)
Bag of tobacco, papers
Stainless Canteen
A lot of cheap trail mix, and dehydrated meats, especially pepperoni!
Tuna or Sardines, and when I can find it those spam singles
Soup Mixes
Jar of Peanut Butter
Mess Kit(Salt, pepper, season all, tin of coffee) Spoon/Fork, Aluminum Foil folded up
2 Gallon jug of water, carry it in hand

Can't think of anything else, dont have my pack beside me. Pack not including water weighs in at 32lbs or so. Probably too heavy for most but I manage it just fine.

figgot

Reaction score
i haven't hit the road yet, but my bag's ready and waiting. i have books, notebooks, sharpiespensnpencils, a few razors, a funny hat and juggling shit to help get change, extra socks n a backup pair gloves and thermal unders, tp, tinfoil, candles n lighters, floss thread n plenty needles, some smellnotlikeshit shit, family pictures and other sentimental junk, one of those mini water bottles full of vegetable oil+a chunk of wood so i can scar myself, some rope and wire, my skate tool n 2 chunksowax, a few garbage bags and my deck strapped to the outside and i think that's it, with space for food n my canteen. before i leave i'm gonna add a tape recorder with a few tapes, a little corncob pipe and some cash. pretty sure that's it. oh and ill probably snag a sleeping bag from my parents, and maybe a small pot to cook in havent decided yet. oh and balls. lots and lots of balls

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads