What to pack? | Page 11 | Squat the Planet

What to pack?

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I dont carry a stove, I dont need hot food. If I do have some food that needs to be cooked I make a fire or fashin a stove somehow out of cans or something else.

Kalalau

Reaction score
tyvek house wrap, it's easy to come by, waterproof, breatheable and small as shit... get it from any construction site. think of it as free goretex

spartan45

Reaction score
Well, I figure I could post up some pics of my current gear.

th_IMG_0542.jpg
My pack, It is just a "TimBuk2" messenger bag, about 50 liters

th_IMG_0543.jpg

th_IMG_0544.jpg

th_IMG_0545.jpg
This pic. is just things kept in the pack, Im not going to name the obvious.
In the green case is my camera and charger, The flowery blue thing is just a tin i use for a small Med. kit. And the box in the corner is a harmonica.

th_IMG_0546.jpg
Orange bag:
All pretty self explanatory, the small tube is sun lotion/bug repellent, the bottle is just multivitims, and the two little jars are water purifiers (I just think its better to have em' and not need em', then to need then and NOT have them), And the floss is just a small sewing kit.

th_IMG_0547.jpg
Sleeping pad

th_IMG_0548.jpg
Cook set

th_IMG_0549.jpg

th_IMG_0550.jpg
Maps, RR Atlas, CCG

th_IMG_0551.jpg
Change of clothes, light jacket.

th_IMG_0553.jpg
Sleeping bag, tarp

th_IMG_0554.jpg

th_IMG_0555.jpg
Forgot to put this in the original picture, but i just keep the food I carry in it.

But yeah, There are clearly some thing that I do not NEED, but i like my little luxuries, especially because they do not take up much space/weight.

All this comes out to only be about 17-18 pounds with little food and water in it.

The gear works for me, it does not strain my shoulder/back, and there is enough room to hold more food/water if need be.

Yeah, I like the way it works for me =]

+1 on messenger bag i have a Bailey Works Pro myself BaileyWorks Bags: Messenger bags and more, made in the USA

Matt aka Sparks

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
-Small Alice pack (No frame, I don't like it)
-Sleeping bag w/stuff sack (rated at 0-15 degree's, gots a broken zipper but I've sown it up and it's pretty light)
-Brown Tarp w/some bungies (brown to blend in and doubles as my tent when I feel like setting up an A frame, otherwise I just roll in it like a burrito.
-Lightwieght Hoodie
-Thermal Top and Bottom (almost always worn)
-Dental Floss and Patch materal in a lil bag (needles are in the bill of my hat)
-Little LED flashlight (Hella bright, small, and weighs nothing)
-Couple books
-Insualted Overalls (heaviest thing I carry but I use this instead of packing a heavy coat and sleeping bag, way badass)
-Socks (I try to keep an extra pair but it's not always that easy)
-Offbrand converse style shoes (for when it's too hot for my boots
-Shorts (for swimming and hot days)
-Couple random crown bags full of misc. shit (good for trades and the soul)
-Boxcutter (for cutting boxes, duh)
-Hobo Tool (for my eats)
-P38
-Extra Shirt (in case I lose the one I'm wearing)
-Ball of tough string (just cause ya never know)
-1 liter water jug (for in town, I grab a gallon or two before I head out)
-Flatbar (for popping squats, this is a new addition to my gear, one that I'm a lil wary of due to leagal reasons, barly wieghs a pound)
-Roll of TP
-Trash bags (in case of rain)
-Zip lock bag for my papers and maps
-Hard water proof case with a few smokes and matches in it (for them really shitty rainy days)
-Tuna and ramen packs (for when no white boxes or trash bins can be found)

That's pretty much it. I like to travel light and all of this stuff fits in my small ass pack with out anything hanging off of it witha lil room to spare. I like keeping just a lil room for booze or other intersting things I find. I find I don't really need much, though I want to get a camara and mp3 player, and with this st up I can handle the cold weather pretty well though I try and avoid that shit most of the time. The hotter it is the heavier my pack is though. I only have one pair of pants and see no need for a spare. I saw a couple people asking about camp stoves... that's really up to you. I could care less wether my food is hot or cold, and I don't often find myself making my own meals unless im in bum jungles.
Best overall advice I can give is don't pack what your not willing to lose because shit happens and you will eventually lose your pack. And when it comes to what kind of pack to get my general rule is: the more room you have the more shit you'll carry. That's why I keep it small.

headwound

Reaction score
I carry around a large canvas Sea-Bag, a lot of people have complaints about the bag being uncomfortable or that it gives you the capability to carry more than you'll ever need. Though I only carry a short list of things
-30 degree sleeping bag
-Winter coat
-fall coat
-two pairs of pants (my workin' pants and my party pants)
-two shirts
-socks
-a knive or boxcutter that I'll usually lose
-sidebag with a couple of books and my log
-basic hygiene shit
-Sewing needles and floss

Someday I'd like to be organized and prepared enough to carry and Allison pack.

Matt aka Sparks

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I carry around a large canvas Sea-Bag, a lot of people have complaints about the bag being uncomfortable or that it gives you the capability to carry more than you'll ever need. Though I only carry a short list of things
-30 degree sleeping bag
-Winter coat
-fall coat
-two pairs of pants (my workin' pants and my party pants)
-two shirts
-socks
-a knive or boxcutter that I'll usually lose
-sidebag with a couple of books and my log
-basic hygiene shit
-Sewing needles and floss

Someday I'd like to be organized and prepared enough to carry and Allison pack.

You stole my box cutter you fuck.

Squidaroo

Reaction score
just get really good at stick and pokes!

Yeah I agree with this.... Tattoo gun is to much... stick and pokes, i feel are perfect and more meaningful while traveling... my first stick in poke was in louisville ky, at a squat house while i was passing though... my favorite tattoo ever.
plus if your traveling you can always befriend awsome tattoo artist. who will sometimes do tattoos next to nothing if you want great quality

xRastaxRuggzx

Reaction score
My gear usually consists of:
0-20 Mummy Bag-(returned the older sleeping bags in the case to make up for the price.) Can fit two 40 lb. dogs in it with me
8x10 tarp
lighter, matches, magnifiying glass
tooth brush
baking soda
book(s), soduku
journal/paper/pens
two decks of cards
multiple bandanas
one pair of clothes on me
something to layer on in winter if nessecary
small blanket
dog food
water dish
headlamp and flashlights
spare batteries
steel wool (sometimes)
crew change
sewing/craft accessories
usually a couple cans of beans
gallon jug of water and 32 oz canteen

Zorila

Reaction score
Website
squattheplanet.com
i have one of those small flashlights with a rolling handle, it's preety cool, it can charge a noka cell phone also, and it charges quickly and stayes fully charged about 10 miutes
i guess it's good, chep alternative to batteries+ you can charge your cell into the wild

Zorila

Reaction score
Website
squattheplanet.com
sorry for the typos, it's nokia, i guess it was obvious but sorry anyways

sons of vipers

Reaction score
been getting my shit together.
Here's what i've got:
my pack
sleeping bag (in the bottom pocket of my pack)
sleeping pad (cut off at the knees, attached undernearth my pack)
water jug
knife
multi-tool
bandanna
camera
notebook
crew change
sewing shit
patches
shirt, and an extra shirt
tank top
hoodie
pair of pants
pair of shorts
firestarter
water purification tablets
banjo
indian ink
duct tape wrapped around a pencil

anything dire that i'm missing?

ericafuckyea

Reaction score
im relatively minimalistic when i travel. i carry the following:
sleeping bag, pants and a skirt, maybe one extra shirt, thermals, a hoodie, whole pack of clean socks / underwear, moist towlettes bandaids triple antibiotic and alcohol pads (f'real), hygene shit, nalgene, a headlamp, multitools / knife, P38, two notebooks (one lined and one non lined), a book, CCG, magnum sharpies, dental floss / needles, printouts of the municipal police codes in various cities, extra padlock w/ key for bikes or to lock my squat if necessary, NARCAN!!! (i've had to use this MULTIPLE times, it's always good to have and really does save lives!)
and now im all fancy with my ipod and my shitty digital camera.
I always wish I had a tarp but I never want to carry one. I used to have a prybar, and I used to have boltcutters, but carrying heavy metal shit really sucks.
after seeing some gnarly mrsa outbreaks on the west coast i think im gonna carry a bottle of hibacleanse from now on too.

Reaction score
ghetto bota bag = space bag

get a good schwill goin' and then just pull like a mofo on the spout...it'll come right off! don't worry you're not gonna break it...how many times have you ever seen a space bag bust even in instances of violent spanking? light and packable. good to go for carrying wuhta when you know you're headed into a dry spot

H

hamikman

Take a rain poncho. They're are so frickin handy. Goes on over your pack too and comes off in a blink. Good for hitchhiking in rain. Sit on your pack, heads out and you can see, and you're dry. Comes off in a blink when the ride pulls up. Drivers see you're going to be dry so and not smell like wet dog/traveller so theyre more inclined to pull over. They'll also see you got 1/2 brain at least too. They're great for hunkering down when its hunker down time and you gotta be ready to go right away. I have two. Ones a real heavy duty (old) army surplus and its tough but bulky. Got another that rolls up 1.5x size of my fist and made of silicone impregnated nylon-forget I have it till it starts raining. Can't say enough good things about ponchos. Get green or camo for obvious reasons. If you stash your pack it makes a good stealth cover too.

Nemo

Reaction score
I generally like to carry along the materials to document my experiences along the way. Here is a list of items I carry with me.

Such as:
- A camera (film or digital) I stick with film as it is easy to steal and the battery life lasts a lot longer among many other reasons.
- A sketch pad for writing, and drawing artwork to sale.
- Sharpies, a paint pen or two (for spanging signs)
-Books to read (3 maximum depending on the size) I read a lot.
-A trashbag to keep my pack dry
-A canteen with a water purifier built in.
-Clothes on my body & two outfits in the pack.
-Floss & Needle
- Hammock tent if at all possible. There is a great instrucatble here on StP for DIY camp-hammocks. I would link you but I'm lazy so do a little searching.

That's about all I can think of @ the moment.
I'll come back and edit this post I'm sure.
Safe travels to you all.
-Nemo

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
I try to keep it simple
sleeping bag
zip up flease liner for my sleeping bag, for those cold nights or summer nights
i have a pair of pants and a skirt and i usually wear one and carry the other
the shirt i wear and an extra plus a tank top
atleast 2 extra pairs of socks
flip flops for when its too hot to wear my boots
sewing stuff
hobo tool
extra knife
and my journal/phone book thing
and i got water proof bags at wally world to keep my clothes in for when it rains even if me and my pack get drenched i have dry shit to change into.

Withoutatrace

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
been getting my shit together.
Here's what i've got:
my pack
sleeping bag (in the bottom pocket of my pack)
sleeping pad (cut off at the knees, attached undernearth my pack)
water jug
knife
multi-tool
bandanna
camera
notebook
crew change
sewing shit
patches
shirt, and an extra shirt
tank top
hoodie
pair of pants
pair of shorts
firestarter
water purification tablets
banjo
indian ink
duct tape wrapped around a pencil

Anything dire that i'm missing?

A small scrubbing brush for getting the grime off you hands and scrubbing you gear clean.

Reactions: JaimaJaima

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads