What to pack? | Squat the Planet

What to pack?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Like the train hopping thread, we'll be compiling a guide here on what to pack when traveling. Please post your suggestions and they'll be added to this guide. Thanks!

UPDATE, Nov 22nd 2008: Thank you everyone for your suggestions! You've made this the most posted thread on StP! In a few months I'll be compiling this into an article that should cover all the bases of any possible planned adventure!

C

cornflake

SOMETHING WARM...even if its hot out during the day. A train ride at night gets cold specially if your in an open car. I learned the hard way with that on my first ride.

Z

Zangtron

at least 1 quart of water per day. get a plastic canteen container (i dont want to use the brand name) or get a 69 cent gallon of water from somewhere.

Small portable multi-tools are nice to open cans and use as utensils not to mention the myriad of other uses.

sleeping bag (thickness depends on where you are going)

someone who has done it at least a dozen times.

J

Jimmyjonboy

pack just a few items when youre hopping so you can save room for water and food, what i bring are,
pipe
weed
sleeping bag
squat key
multi tool (letherman)
socks
spoon fork and knife
soap
pot
pan
extra pair of pants
rail spike (for putting in the boxcar door and works as a good hammer if you don't have a squat key)
pen
plastic garbage bag (to cover my pack when if it rains)
tarp
extra lighter
needle
dental floss
toilet paper
hand rag
gloves
flashlight and extra batteries
hoodie
blanket
rollies (ciggarettes)
notebook or sketch book
and one book to read
besides lots of water and some food, thats all i pack when travelling, except for my tent but you don't allways have one of them. but don't forget a hat, skank, boots, and a leather jacket.
and by far, don't forget your road dogs

C

Clit Comander

tin o tobbaco
a shit load of water
i bring a two litter of soda
some snack food as well as tin food
a good book
flashlight/ candles
intoxicating substances(dont get to fuckup ya still have to get off)

music
MUST HAVE RAIL SPIKE FOR DOOR.

TBone

Reaction score
1/2 Gallon to Gallon of water (Depending on how far I'm going) - The cranberry juice jugs with the white handles are tough as hell especially when wrapped in duct tape. Clorox bottles too.
Sleeping pad cut to half length
Wool Blanket in summer
0 Degree Bag in winter, fall, early spring
Fleece Jacket for night riding (even gets cold in the summer)
Camp Stove
Matches
Lighter
Rail Maps and Atlas
Road Atlas
Scanner freqs.
Train Symbols
Scanner
Batteries
Pocket Knife (always on my side)
Ear Plugs
Small Pot
Utensils
Camera
Journal for yard notes and passing the time
Pen
Grease Pen
Sharpie
Reading Material (a few zines and a book)
Crew Pack for first aid, toilet paper and cleaning up
Extra Pair or Two of Boxers
Extra Shirt
Extra Coveralls or Pants
One or Two pairs of socks
Some Canned Food (Smoked Oysters, Sardines, Tuna, whatever)
p-38
Dry Food (Instant Soup, Noodles, dehydrated Refried Beans - cheap at health food stores) A lot of the dry foods are salty and use up water so keep that in mind when deciding on how much mater to bring.
Bottle of Wine
Beer

I can usually keep it under 30lbs not including water and drink. A lot of the stuff is negligible depending on how far I'm going.

Post edited by: TBone, at: 2007/07/24 07:36

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Earplugs are really important, unless you're already deaf.
A GPS unit is handy, not really necessary or available for most.
Camo mesh fabric is good for hiding and keeping the mosquitos at bay, plus other miscellaneous uses.
A fixed blade knife on the belt, since folding blades will get gunked up (assisted opening knives are even worse).

TBone

Reaction score
norplain wrote:
lots of these are way to big. i think these lists are just good suggestions, but some of this stuff would be impossible to travel with. to much

A lot of that stuff on my list is really small like a piece of paper or a pack of matches. I can fit it all in a medium alice pack minus my bedroll which is lashed to the outside.

Post edited by: TBone, at: 2007/07/24 11:05

R

Rizzo

I ALWAYS make sure if traveling with junkies, to bring Nalaxone just in case of an overdose. Also I like to bring a smily and sign making materials. But I have a large size swedish rucksack with an internal frame so I can fit everything in my pack. I dont know how big yours is

skunkpit

Reaction score
sleeping bag
knife
probably food
waters a good idea..
plastic poly which once used to wrap a refrigerator which no one wanted no more
sewing stuff

auto flail backpack (backpack with lose straps so you lose shit while running for the train to make things interesting the last couple of days riding)

datura and or peyote ;)
( for spiritual purposes only of course, to aid speaking with the steel of the train.. its good have a nice conversation with the steel's feelings about life and world economics etc )

shoes.

K

Kendall

skunkpit wrote:
datura and or peyote ;)
( for spiritual purposes only of course, to aid speaking with the steel of the train.. its good have a nice conversation with the steel's feelings about life and world economics etc )

shoes.

Hahaha. Daymn. Don't let kids here think they should hop with datura, sheww. Thats cool you can contain yourself enough to not fall off the train. *props*

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads