What to pack? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

What to pack?

Dillinger

Reaction score
cans of food can be heavy
but you'd be happy to have them after a day or so without eating.
MRE's are also a good thing ot have for food, their not too heavy but they'll fill you up and taste great.

and uh...
duct tape...
a million fucking uses.
i like to have a road atlas with me too =)
(you can get pocket sizes in some stores, convenant as hell)

Reactions: Kal

skunkpit

Reaction score
Kendall said:
skunkpit wrote:
datura and or peyote ;)
( for spiritual purposes only of course, to aid speaking with the steel of the train.. its good have a nice conversation with the steel's feelings about life and world economics etc )

dont listen to anything this guy says
hes nuts...

Reactions: JanKrusz
D

DirtyRig

Man, if you wear contact lenses, it's probably a good idea to bring a pair of glasses, just in case. I lived out of a car for a few months with a ripped and very painful contact lens.

H

Hoghead Bob

DirtyRig said:
Man, if you wear contact lenses, it's probably a good idea to bring a pair of glasses, just in case. I lived out of a car for a few months with a ripped and very painful contact lens.

Phhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggk that would SUCK! I tore a contact once and had to wear it about two days. It was the worst expirence of my life.

D

DirtyRig

Yeah, it fucking sucked. I didn't even OWN a pair of glasses then, just my contacts. And they were my only pair. Eventually, I just took out the ripped contact. Being half-blind is a lot less painful than half of a lens.

And if yer not too concerned about fashion (haha), if you do buy a pair of glasses, make sure they're made of thick, durable plastic and you carry them around in a hardback case.

H

Hoghead Bob

Yea, I only had contacts for the longest time until last year all the dust, smoke and shit lead me to get a nasty eye infection. After that I picked up a pair of cheep Walmart glasses. I look like Buddy Holly but I don't give a shit. Plus I don't need to worry about wearing safty glasses.

Dillinger

Reaction score
skunkpit said:
Kendall said:
skunkpit wrote:
datura and or peyote ;)
( for spiritual purposes only of course, to aid speaking with the steel of the train.. its good have a nice conversation with the steel's feelings about life and world economics etc )

dont listen to anything this guy says
hes nuts...

You can have some of the best conversations of your life with the steel of a train its just ESPECIALLY when peyote's invovled. . .
Give it a whirl man. =)

Honor The Cacti.

rootsong

Reaction score
i've found a little $10 pair of 8x binocular to be extremely useful in big train yards. not only is my vision slightly under 20/20 (binoculars give you instant 20/20), but you can easily see details of what's going on all the way across the yard, and spy on workers who can't necessarily even spot you. paired with neck-strap to keep them tucked under your shirt or jacket when not in use and easily accessible, i find them very handy.

Reactions: Bizarre Odor
F

FrumpyWatkins

rootsong said:
i've found a little $10 pair of 8x binocular to be extremely useful in big train yards. not only is my vision slightly under 20/20 (binoculars give you instant 20/20), but you can easily see details of what's going on all the way across the yard, and spy on workers who can't necessarily even spot you. paired with neck-strap to keep them tucked under your shirt or jacket when not in use and easily accessible, i find them very handy.

Watch the glare reflecting on the glass of the binocs.

D

DirtyRig

A magnifying glass ain't a bad idea, either. Just a small one. The kind you might find on a swiss-army watch. Those CCG's and atlases can get damn hard to read.

Also, if you can find one, some headshops sell lock-up metal dugouts. They're little metal boxes that descreetly hold a reasonable amount of weed, and a tiny one-hitter. It locks up when you close it, and you can only open it by hitting a series of "sweet spots" on the box, which will unlock it. It's a good place to keep yer stash, it doesn't smell, and if cops can't figure out how to open it or what it is, they can't bust you for it.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned (I might have even already said it), but bring a fucking deck of cards. I don't even care if they're Magic: The Gathering cards. They will get you through hours of boredom. Even if its just solitaire or go-fish. It beats sitting on your ass tossing pebbles off a bridge.

If you have a refillable lighter, bring it. It doesn't need to be some fancy Zippo, just a refillable lighter. Bic's are easily lost, and quickly drained of fluid, and matches tend to be troublesome.

Dillinger

Reaction score
I dont think you should be traveling if you can't do it on your own
If you need someone there to hold your hand.
but a friend is nice to have for the 6-72 hour waits for a train. (pending on where you are)
i just think its an experiance worth sharing.

Then again a human could be the hardest thing to pack/drag around.
so you know, whatever.
or you could just listen to dirty rig and bring cards, that works too, even continously shuffeling them/breaking them in makes time go fast.

Dillinger

Reaction score
Yeah, at one point during a 2 day wait for a train that wasn't Allllllllll fuckkkkkin coal cars i ended up carving a rail spike out of a random tree branch, got it as realistic as possible then attepted to make chess peices. . . that however didn't work out too well but failing sure did pass the time.

geez. a lot of you people wrote down a lot of stuff. i suggest to look at your situation. if you are going through colorado in the late fall/winter dress fucking warm and bring a ton of warm shit. but if it is in the summer bring next to nothing. one of the greatest times i had traveling i had next to nothing... no heavy pack... no extra anything. i just rolled up a blanket and put some basic tobacco and water essentials in my pockets, then off i went. fuck all of this expensive camping shit and digital cameras... do it for yourself. oh one more thing and not to sound hostile but... if you think hopping trains makes you cool don't ever do it.

Dillinger

Reaction score
Digital cameras can be nice, you can take some beautiful shots.
But you're going to miss one of the best experiances of your life if you're looking at everything so beautiful through a lense, with a camrea shoved into your face. You can capture these pictures sure, but the memories you have to make in the present. It's good to take some shots but i suggest strongly your camrea not be in your every thought when you encounter something miraculous.
I usually have a camera with me, but its rarely used and so I'll have to agree with Fawn.
Make the most of your time. Waste as little of it as possible.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads