West Coast on two wheels (1 Viewer)

J

jennjan

I deleted myself
Hi folks.. Have wanted to do a west coast trip on my bicycle for a while now and am now starting to plan and get ideas for around end of august, beginning of September this year. Wanting to first off get some ideas on rad places to stop along the way. Plan so far is Vancouver BC downwards to Seattle then off to Oregon where ill spend a good amount of time in then onward to wherever things lead. If anyone can suggest things to do places to see people to meet ETC. i like things like... Punk/metal/folk shows, skate parks, trains, beer, parks, abandon buildings, hikes, etc... let me no :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
im actually planning the same trip! i'm starting in seattle around august 1st though. my plan is to spend about 2.5 months biking down the coast; this should give plenty of time to hang out in places like you're saying, since it takes about 5-6 weeks to complete from what i've heard.

im planning on doing a lot of urban exploration around the bay area, hopefully checking out some places that have been on my list for quite some time (abandoned military base among some others). i'd like to reach los angeles / san diego by the first week of october, then head out to slab city to help set up the jamboree.

after that, i think i'm just going to spend most of the winter in the slabs writing this book i want to finish. i might bike out to new orleans after that, who knows.

anyways, i'm definitely looking for someone to bike with if you're interested. if that doesn't work out, i can still share some destinations with you. i'm still in the planning phase, but i'll try and post some stuff here as i pour through my notes of the west coast (i have a lot of notes on places i want to go see someday).

Will Wood

Hometown
Portland
Sounds great. Let us know where you are. I'm in Portland. I'd try and join, but I'm older now and my arthritis has me selling my tour bike. sad.. But, sounds fun! Lunch is on me if you make it to Portland,

OP
J

jennjan

I deleted myself
im actually planning the same trip! i'm starting in seattle around august 1st though. my plan is to spend about 2.5 months biking down the coast; this should give plenty of time to hang out in places like you're saying, since it takes about 5-6 weeks to complete from what i've heard.

im planning on doing a lot of urban exploration around the bay area, hopefully checking out some places that have been on my list for quite some time (abandoned military base among some others). i'd like to reach los angeles / san diego by the first week of october, then head out to slab city to help set up the jamboree.

after that, i think i'm just going to spend most of the winter in the slabs writing this book i want to finish. i might bike out to new orleans after that, who knows.

anyways, i'm definitely looking for someone to bike with if you're interested. if that doesn't work out, i can still share some destinations with you. i'm still in the planning phase, but i'll try and post some stuff here as i pour through my notes of the west coast (i have a lot of notes on places i want to go see someday).
Amazing!!! I will let you know my departure date once plans are set. Once i hit the bottom of Oregon I have no set plans so will be open to anything. Looking forward to it :)

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Hometown
folks who know me have my #.
dunno how i can help, but i'm down to helpThe Boss & Ms. Jenn connect..

prepping for a trip from SF to Kent, WA, this week..

but.. who the hell knows if it will be a straight shot..??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Favorite thing to do during an apocalypse??
First track of one of a solid album.
This shit is getting real, under self isolation - no, it's self quarantine now - thanks to some jerk who came to the Plant knowingly sick.
He has judged himself, as for me... my locker has been emptied because I am not putting up with that bullshit.
Looks like I just decided to take an early retirement, so on to greener pastures I go......
Be safe out there, perhaps we'll meet again when times are better.
I hope that y'all are good and safe wherever you may happen to be. Take care of yourselves, may the wind always be at your back <3
When Democrat and Republican politicians argue and fuck up so badly we end up taking 1st place in Plague Inc irl:

So, here's something great! After finally saying NO to eating carbs and sugar this morning (since that's mostly all there is to eat at home) and instead bought and ate vegetables, I actually don't have cravings anymore!

All I've eaten today is two sweet potatoes and some broccoli, and I don't have any food cravings, and I'm not lethargic!
Matt Derrick wrote on snailormoon's profile.
aww i really like your new profile picture.
Beautiful day to be alive and listen to the birds chirp, remembering to be grateful for what we have and not worry about what we have not.
Healthy in PDX. Back here after years to keep track of those bugging out and to check in on those still on the road.