Veganism and what it can mean for you! | Squat the Planet

Veganism and what it can mean for you!

Spirit Freeman

Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
So I have been going through threads on here that have touched the topic of Veganism and I have seen mostly negative and pessimistic views on traveling while Vegan. I want to clarify something.
It is NOT hard to travel and be Vegan. If you want it then you can make it work.
My wife and I have been Vegan two years and on the road for one.
The key is to eat mostly whole and raw foods. This is much healthier and bulk foods are cheaper. Get acquainted with different grains (Rice, Couscous, Quinoa, etc.), Beans, different vegetables, and definitely a lot of fruit!
Veganism is a moral philosophy and to be absolutely honest if you go back to being non vegan after being vegan than you were never truly vegan. Veganism is a lifestyle. This is not meant to offend anybody. I am an animal rights activist so I see no excuse for murdering/exploiting animals for taste. I am totally down to talk to anybody about this in private if veganism is something your interested in but unsure of how to do it on the road.
Veganism is the single most impactful thing a person can do to help create a cleaner and healthier world.

-Spirit
Anarchy/Revolution/Unity/Freedom

S

smkstcklghtng

Veganism is a moral philosophy and to be absolutely honest if you go back to being non vegan after being vegan than you were never truly vegan. Veganism is a lifestyle.

are you shitting me? this is why people associate veganism with pretentiousness, sanctimony and privilege.

I was a vegan for years while home bumming in NY, there was no fucking way I could keep it up on the road though. wait until you're in alabama, have gone two days without food and people keep throwing cheeseburgers at you.

• Stupid
Reactions: Spirit Freeman

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
are you shitting me?
kind of like the churches that say "if you disagree with doctrine, you never actually believed!"

i kind of wonder whether there is some kind of recruitment going on..

• Stupid
Reactions: Spirit Freeman

Spirit Freeman

Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
So.. if all is illusion, how do you justify moral mandates?
In Ultimate Reality Good and Evil are One. Or None depending on how you perceive non-duality. But since I am a Spirit inhabiting a physical body and I am endowed with senses then I have a natural tendency to see Duality. All is One but causing the least suffering is my Creed.

Reactions: Juan Derlust

Spirit Freeman

Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
are you shitting me? this is why people associate veganism with pretentiousness, sanctimony and privilege.

I was a vegan for years while home bumming in NY, there was no fucking way I could keep it up on the road though. wait until you're in alabama, have gone two days without food and people keep throwing cheeseburgers at you.
Everything is a choice. I was in prison and was forcefully given meat and refused to eat for 4 days. There is no excuse other then weak will.

Sameer

Reaction score
I understand the moral aspect of veganism. I am a lacto vegetarian for religious reasons. My good friend who is a vegan eats four or five times a day to get enough protein. Do you find this to be the case? Many grains with the exception of red lentils loaded with butter and curry powder taste like dirt to me. Also I have found that the more exotic grains are quite pricey. Protein is extremely important in staying healthy. I am a huge fan of pinto beans which contain a good amount of protein. If you have a chance please mention some grains that may not have a earthy taste. I do want to say that most vegans and vegetarians are eating this diet not for moral reasons but for health.

Spirit Freeman

Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
I understand the moral aspect of veganism. I am a lacto vegetarian for religious reasons. My good friend who is a vegan eats four or five times a day to get enough protein. Do you find this to be the case? Many grains with the exception of red lentils loaded with butter and curry powder taste like dirt to me. Also I have found that the more exotic grains are quite pricey. Protein is extremely important in staying healthy. I am a huge fan of pinto beans which contain a good amount of protein. If you have a chance please mention some grains that may not have a earthy taste. I do want to say that most vegans and vegetarians are eating this diet not for moral reasons but for health.
Well to be honest I have learned to understand my bodies needs. When my body wants a particular nutrient or protein I am able to get what is needed. Also while protein is essential I would argue that we don't need anywhere near as much as most people think. And about the grains. I advocate for an absolutely raw diet for the best results. I seldomly eat grains. I had to drop everything I thought I knew about nutrition in order to learn my bodies needs.

Sameer

Reaction score
I think my diet is easier to maintain. I would think that you would have to eat larger quantities to maintain your protein intake and your calorie intake.
After reading some of the comments I want to say that this is a choice for each individual without any right or wrong. I am a lacto vegetarian because my mother and father were lacto vegetarians and we eat this way for cultural and religious reasons.. Lord Krishna said "you drink the milk of the cow so therefore the cow is your mother."
One thing that people who eat flesh might think about is the fact that they may be consuming chemicals, antibiotics and fear and Terror hormones that are produced when a poor creature is led to slaughter. I don't know, I am not articulate on this subject because it is something I haven't done and it is an individual choice. I do believe that veganism and vegetarianism is probably the healthiest way for people to eat irregardless of moral questions.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I am an animal rights activist so I see no excuse for murdering/exploiting animals for taste

If you want to be vegan because of choice, that's great, but please don't look down on other people for not following your beliefs.

We have a privilege in this country to BE vegan. Look at Africa, the middle east, and other impoverished nations. THEY do not have a choice.

Also, you have to be kidding me about it not being hard to travel and be vegan, I've seen kids that swear up and down they were vegan....until they are starving in an areas that are heavy on meat/dairy products. That's some serious pretentious shit you are saying about one never actually being vegan because they go back and my forth.

Also, you must only care for herbavore animals, because I'm pretty sure other carnivores murder everyday for meat.

Don't have any problem with vegans, but don't go telling people it is easy to maintain vegan ism on the road, because that shit just isint true.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Also:

Spirit Freeman

Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
I think my diet is easier to maintain. I would think that you would have to eat larger quantities to maintain your protein intake and your calorie intake.
After reading some of the comments I want to say that this is a choice for each individual without any right or wrong. I am a lacto vegetarian because my mother and father were lacto vegetarians and we eat this way for cultural and religious reasons.. Lord Krishna said "you drink the milk of the cow so therefore the cow is your mother."
One thing that people who eat flesh might think about is the fact that they may be consuming chemicals, antibiotics and fear and Terror hormones that are produced when a poor creature is led to slaughter. I don't know, I am not articulate on this subject because it is something I haven't done and it is an individual choice. I do believe that veganism and vegetarianism is probably the healthiest way for people to eat irregardless of moral questions.
I have studied the Vedas and especially the Gita and I would say that Krishna would not approve of the torturous methods used by factory farms to acquire milk.

Reactions: Sameer

Spirit Freeman

Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
If you want to be vegan because of choice, that's great, but please don't look down on other people for not following your beliefs.

We have a privilege in this country to BE vegan. Look at Africa, the middle east, and other impoverished nations. THEY do not have a choice.

Also, you have to be kidding me about it not being hard to travel and be vegan, I've seen kids that swear up and down they were vegan....until they are starving in an areas that are heavy on meat/dairy products. That's some serious pretentious shit you are saying about one never actually being vegan because they go back and my forth.

Also, you must only care for herbavore animals, because I'm pretty sure other carnivores murder everyday for meat.

Don't have any problem with vegans, but don't go telling people it is easy to maintain vegan ism on the road, because that shit just isint true.
How is it not true? I do it... And I've done it in prison...

paiche

Reaction score
Veganism is the single most impactful thing a person can do to help create a cleaner and healthier world.
Sorry to pick apart what you say and I respect your lifestyle but I've heard many a vegan's perspective similar to your above quote and I'm not sure they/you are entirely right about this point. Maybe it would be more accurate to say Veganism is one of the ways a person who lives in certain parts of the world can help to reduce their impact. I'm sure you have put far more thought in veganism than Omnivorous me but I think this quote is more on point:
"Millions of upper-class people understand that their lifestyle hurts other people and hurts their environment, but they don't have any good ideas what to do about it. Many of these people attempt to soothe their guilt by cutting meat or animal products out of their diet. Dedicated vegans have produced reams of propaganda to convince people that it's immoral and ecologically unsustainable to be a carnivore, but this is not accurate. Parts of California, Florida and Texas are really the only places in the continental U.S. where veganism might be an ecologically sustainable lifestyle. Everywhere else, it depends on an industrial network of highways and railroads, and the fossil-burning machines that deliver the food; or a lot of greenhouse plastic. Certainly, the factory farms that produce most of our nation's meat and dairy supply are immoral and devastating to the ecosystem, but we don't have to use factory farms. If done properly. animal farming can actually enhance the health of the ecosystem, and there is no reason to mistreat farm animals. It will certainly be easier to grow fruits and veggies in the cities and suburbs if we have tons of extra animal manure available, and most of the workers who use their muscles to grow these crops will not be satisfied with the little bits of protein they can get eating beans." -excerpt from Liam Burnell, Take Courage America.

Sameer

Reaction score
I have studied the Vedas and especially the Gita and I would say that Krishna would not approve of the torturous methods used by factory farms to acquire milk.
I think you are absolutely correct! I think Lord krishna's thought is to remind us that we have a kinship with all the living creatures on the planet. All of life is sacred. We have been provided with everything that can sustain us without the necessity of committing murder or torture.
I would have to agree with you that we have a moral obligation to protect all Life on the planet and we have a karmic responsibility to do so. To think otherwise or to separate ourselves from the other creatures inhabiting the planet would be the Human animals egoism at its worst.
And a karmic disaster...

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
i think going vegan and eating out of dumpsters is totally easy- in SOME locations. I am doing this in eugene, oregon. i do not think for a SECOND that i would be able to to this everywhere. being vegan and without money means you'd have to be stealing or you got SOME money or something, ESPECIALLY down south or east, or in rual areas

Reactions: Sameer

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
also saying veganism with save the world is just wrong. vegan capitalism is still shit. if this is how the usa worked, i would still be hoping the system got smashed for obvious reasons. going freegan+vegan when you can is coooool.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
i think going vegan and eating out of dumpsters is totally easy- in SOME locations. I am doing this in eugene, oregon. i do not think for a SECOND that i would be able to to this everywhere. being vegan and without money means you'd have to be stealing or you got SOME money or something, ESPECIALLY down south or east, or in rual areas

i kind of wonder if animal rights for cows don't apply to people who get milked, too..

honestly...

i mean.. sigh....

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads