1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Veganism and what it can mean for you!

Discussion in 'Staying Healthy' started by Spirit Freeman, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Gaucho Deluxe

Gaucho Deluxe Can't get enough of the site

Achievements:
    travel art bum person
    Address:
    Denver, CO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,044 / -33
    Yea just like people forced into slavery its all their fault they're slaves isn't it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gaucho Deluxe

Gaucho Deluxe Can't get enough of the site

Achievements:
    travel art bum person
    Address:
    Denver, CO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,044 / -33
    Bro you've only been vegan for two years!?! I'm not currently vegan but I had been a veg from the time I was 15 til I was 21. Vegan for at least three of those years! For you to say I wasn't truly vegan is a joke. Being vegan is a great lifestyle choice for sure with great benefits to your health and sure your saving a few critters but who actually gives a fuck about animal rights when peoples human rights are being violated all over the world all the time. I'm pretty sure there's bigger fish to fry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Spirit Freeman

Spirit Freeman Appreciated Participator
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Traveling to Change the World
    Address:
    Babylon, NY, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +73 / -8
    Yes I agree there are "bigger fish to fry" and I fight for those reasons. Animal rights Activism has taken a backseat in my priorities but I still encourage it when the timing is right. Yes I understand completely that bigger issues need to be solved first and foremost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. QueerCoyote

QueerCoyote granola punk

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Address:
    Syracuse, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +229 / -0

thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

vegan capitalism is still shit. I was vegetarian for over 11 years, most of the time eating vegan. I work at a vegan cafe. Vegan capitalism is still exploitative.

Last week I stopped being a vegetarian because I had the realization that if I'm trying to choose the most ethical choice, veganism isn't it in my opinion.

Most vegans aren't travelers, and most vegans are buying commercial produce shipped from overseas grown in deforested rainforests, or farmed from underpaid workers. If it takes pesticides you're also looking at exposing farm workers to a barrage of carcinogenic chemicals, and if there are no pesticides someone had to spend laborious hours handpicking weeds, resulting in poor knee and back health if done for too long.

If I killed a deer in the deep of winter and ate that deer for the next month, there's a lot less environmental degradation and animal suffering taking place than a vegan diet imported from another country.

You can't say veganism will solve the world's issues when it's not accessible financially or time-wise for poor people who aren't travelers and when the food is the product of outsourcing agriculture and habitat destruction. When the people tending the food are getting the short end of the stick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    Spirit Freeman

Spirit Freeman Appreciated Participator
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Traveling to Change the World
    Address:
    Babylon, NY, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +73 / -8
    I agree with you once hundred percent. I may have gotten ahead of myself on the way I worded certain things. Yes capitalism is shit. No matter what products are being sold. I am not advocating for "voting with your dollar" type politics. Fuck the system, fuck the Federal Reserve, burn it to the ground, and stop killing innocent beings. I travel and am absolutely against working for any corporation or paying any taxes. I still eat only plant based foods. We can do anything and we choose what we are able to do. If you believe you can't be poor and vegan then that will become your reality. I am broke as shit and I have an abundance of food. I use EBT so obviously it is easier, but I have gone weeks without EBT and still easily managed it through DD and spanging. Spirituality is key in this. To have Faith in your own Divinity and ability to Create your own Reality is necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. palmazon

palmazon Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    tribal JUNIOR (at heart, anyway)
    Address:
    La Habra, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +152 / -3
    Fish fry.... Mmm

Please forgive me - I couldn't resist!

#46 palmazon, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  7. Satanic Botanic

Satanic Botanic is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Denton, TX, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +39 / -0
    The two main arguments I see criticizing veganism is that it's expensive/not accessible to the poor and it's still vulnerable to the evils of capitalism. Which are fair arguments.

You go to a vegan cafe compared to a non-vegan cafe and 9/10 times the vegan cafe is gonna be more expensive. However, I actually stopped eating meat initially to save money, and so that eating healthy on the road was easier. If you think cooking your own vegan food is more expensive than a meat meal, I think you are just misinformed and/or a bad shopper. Not to any fault of your own. I think what the vegan movement needs more than preaching is education. People don't realize how cheap, healthy, and easy being vegan can be. It is a dramatic lifestyle shift, sure, but completely attainable by most, assuming a normal meat diet is already attainable for you ofc. You don't have to stop eating meat cold turkey either. I think that's actually a terrible way to do it. If you have any kind of interest in veganism, just dip your toes in the water. Go to a vegan cafe first and try some dank ass food so you know what's possible. After that, try cooking some simple vegan meals. Hell, just eating some oatmeal/granola with fruit is a great start and example for how cheap, easy, and delicious this shit can be. If you like it, try implementing it into your daily diet day by day while still eating meat. Then maybe switch to vegetarianism for a while once you're comfortable before going vegan. Ease it into your life.

And, yes, agriculture labor is exploitative. But if you're buying unethical, exploitative meat, you really can't use that as an argument against veganism. Buy local and ethical. Local and ethical meat is pretty expensive, but fruits n veggies really aren't all that expensive local. Often, you'll find that it's cheaper to buy the local and ethical shit. Next time you're on highway 1 or some place with lots of agriculture, stop by those lil farms, or look for signs selling shit. I know you can get local and ethical avocados on highway 1 for like 25 cents. Buy an avocado in whole foods or some shit and you're gonna pay like $2. Not to mention how much better for the environment veganism is. If we're gonna agree that both veganism and meat boy life are exploitative capitalist swine systems, then that argument goes out the window and you then gotta compare the other aspects. Veganism wins most of those other arguments.

Is veganism the perfect solution? Fuck no. Is it a better lifestyle/diet choice than meat life for fighting capitalism and saving the earth? Yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JohnMorningstar

JohnMorningstar Previously Synystervape

Achievements:
    Chef / Writer
    Address:
    Florence, OR, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +14 / -1
    I have teeth designed to only shred meat and my eyes are located in the front of my skull....
    Humans are predators.
    We only evolved to this point from a high fat diet, humans biologically need fat for proper cognitive functions.

I'm going to happily eat my fried chicken now.

• Stupid Stupid x 1
  9. Tatanka

Tatanka Completely Addicted

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +734 / -21
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JohnMorningstar

JohnMorningstar Previously Synystervape

Achievements:
    Chef / Writer
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +14 / -1
    No shit eh? What brings you to this part of America?