Somewhere to camp and or hike within 2 hours of LA

xbocax

Reaction score
Hey was suppost to head to norcal for the weekend but no cash. Im in the LA area...anybody kno any nice wildernessy naturey spots within 2 hours of LA? via transit, hitch hiking or car whichever

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Shit, I think Angeles Crest highway might be closed cause the fires fucked it all up, and I think it's the same for the areas I know around Pasadena and Altadena.

How about the Santa Monica mountains, Topanga, Malibu, Point Mugu?

sprout

Reaction score
There are a few good spots in Topanga... I would be careful in Malibu because the cops tend to have a low tolerance for anyone who looks out of place.

N

NickCofphee

Joshua Tree National Park is about a 2 hour drive from LA. Amazing hiking and rock climbing there. It's only about $5 to get in and you can stay up to 2 weeks.

xbocax

Reaction score
o yeah! i went there a while back in high school

Dumpsterhump

Reaction score
Big Bear is a pretty chill town. There's snow up there right now though. Not sure if that is an ideal place to squat at right now. There's a bus that takes you up the mountain from San Bernardino.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Big Bear is a pretty chill town. There's snow up there right now though. Not sure if that is an ideal place to squat at right now. There's a bus that takes you up the mountain from San Bernardino.

Yeah, it is nice up there.

You can ride into Colton, catch the #1 bus on Valley (like at Rancho), get off at the San Bernardino metrolink, walk up to where they sell the tickets, the MARTA bus will pick you up there and take you up to Crestline, or Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear. You'd have to search the web to get prices and all, I've done it before, but I forget.

KoffinKat

Reaction score
Parksons Landing hike in is a place you can try Monte Cristo, Messenger flats, Or South fork are all realatively close and inexpensive. If you can get your hands on an Adventure Pass most of these places are like 3 bucks. Best of luck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads