Service Dog

P

Punkristo

I got a dog and I want to make her a service dog cause that way is a lot easier to travel with her. Does anyone know how to do this?

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
It doesnt work all the time but 75% of the time we used to just tell the bus driver our dog was a service dog for petty mild seizures. As in a petty mild seizure detecting dog. Apparently there is a such thing. But other than that id recommend making a service dog vest. Most bus drivers dont really question you that much about it. If they do you just flip out and scream alot. You can usually get alot of things by just demanding that you be treated with respect. Altho one time my girl friend did get slammed, repeatedly in the door by this one bus driver in Seattle. He didnt even wait to hear what she had to say just closed the door with her in it again and again. But we just recently received word that he got fired cause she put in a complaint and the bus company actually reveiwed the tape. crazy shit.

X

xmattx

the american disabilities act does not require you to tell anyone your disability and they (legally) cannot discriminate against you for using a service dog. just get a vest and you should be set.

Reaction score
yes, some places are satisfied with you just saying its a service animal (even without a vest), favoring a loose rule to being accused of discrimination.

Poking Victim

Reaction score
Your dog should be carrying it's own weight anyways, so get it a pack thang. I think you could probably get your dog registered as a service animal, but as stated, bus drivers can't ask about it anyways.

C

cantsay

I know two people who have service dogs. Basically, any dog is a service dog if you say it is. that is the beauty of the law. So long as your dog is well behaved and you demand legally proper treatment, you should be able to go pretty much anywhere with your dog. it helps to have little cards with legalese on them. Print out americans with disabilities act or whatever, the part about service dogs, and have the dog carry them in his backpack, or you carry them in yours. Then when anyone hassles you you simply pull out a card with the law on it, give it to the person who is hassling you, and tell them that if they refuse you entry or service, they are breaking the law and you will call the cops.

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Hey,
I've met a few folks on the road/street with service dogs.

When ever I see a service dog it has several things on it's body:
=Vest with 'Service dog' printed or patched on it.
=Dog tags that say 'Service dog',
the tag always says what service the dog provides you:
emotional support, seizures' etc.

I don;t know if you have to register a dog as such?
Try asking at a dog shelter or disability rights support service ?

boxofrocks

Reaction score
Just make sure your dog is well behaved when you bring it into places. Wouldn't want to ruin it for people who actually Need a service animal. They get hassled just the same. You're legally supposed to have a doctors note I think to have a service animal. Of course you don't need any proof of a service animal on your person while going into places. It's just easier. It is illegal if they find out your dog is not a service dog, but unlikely.

Reactions: ayyyjayyy

Heron

not very crusty
Reaction score
Website
tracklabs.net
http://squattheplanet.com/diy-die/how-2/12099-taking-your-dog-everywhere.html

from what i've read, your dog doesn't need to be a registered service dog or any such thing to be considered one. so really it's just about making sure you do it right- a vest/harness like most 'real' service dogs have would help a lot with looking official- which i imagine is your number one concern. kinda like how it might be legal in a state to carry a handgun in the open on your belt or w/e, but you'd still get pigs threatening you and probably arresting you even though it's legal. same sort of thing with a service dog when you're not obviously handicapped except not so bad

i imagine if you have a 'uniformed' service dog that behaves then you'll almost never have a real problem. im considering raising a dog on the road and if i do, ill definitely get it all the service dog gear so it doesn't have to leave me every time i go into a store or w/e

bryanpaul

Reaction score
make up somethin like this on microsoft paint.....you can laminate it and put it in one of those id holder doohickeys..legally you dont need it but usually it helps save you from having to argue
peneloservicedog-1.jpg

Lizzzzz

Reaction score
i made a fake card for my dog to be my "emotional support animal" but they just recently, like in march, changed the laws on that and emotional support animals are no longer considered service animals and can't go everywhere with you now... i've never had to show my fake card but i wont be able to say she's my ESA anymore. but that siezure dog thing is still valid. so yeah, no more ESA's on the bus...

shanwich

Reaction score
i travel with a REAL service dog . i hate fakers . what would your dog do if it encountered a real service dog? i can tell you - my SD has been attacked by a "vester ". the hippie douche owner went to jail for 60 days, his dog was put down , then i sued him for $5K. all the money when to retraining , it put my life in danger .

Asar

Reaction score
A dog without a fake service vest and card can still attack you and your real service animal. All that having a fake one does is help people who are homeless or traveling be able to keep their dogs safe and with them at all times. Not every "vester" is a dodgy mutt trying to take your face off.

The inclusion of a fake vest doesn't increase or decrease the likelihood of mishaps in life, figuratively and literally. I can understand the frustration but what are you doing on STP if you're so opposed to people doing what they want in spite of the law, just because of your misfortune? And to "hate" an entire group over one persons mistake and irresponsibility?

Some dogs will always bite, there will always be shitty animal owners. Laws and hate wont fix that.

shanwich

Reaction score
my SD was attacked in a store. a store that doesn't allow pets . if your going to to take advantage of a law that was made to protect disabled people - at least put "in training" on your dogs gear . sd's in training have all the same access rights as fulling trained service dogs . you have more leeway for bad behavior . and you dont have to lie about being disabled . i have no problem with "in training " dogs . but, trying to say your pet is a fully trained service dog- undermines all the work and training that real service dogs go threw .

Shakou

Reaction score
The tags don't always work. If you want to do it right, get an actual real service dog jacket. You can buy them online for about $50. So long as your dog is well behaved, NO ONE will give you issues then.

Reactions: ayyyjayyy

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads