self protection

thunderson5

Reaction score
self protection-defense

whats your favorite item you carry for self protection?whats your views on the cops if you do decide to go to them for help?do they just blow you off or make you feel like the bad guy or maybe they make you feel somehow like you deserve it?your storys and views on this would be really cool

M

Mouse

my evil eye.

I generally don't carry weapons other than a knife.

as for cops... the one time I needed help from the cops (my p.o.s boyfriend beat me down in the park and some jogger called the cops on him) they took me to the hospital, played with my puppy until I was done being taken care of, and found me on Haight st. the next day to check up on me and give me a temp restraining order against the fucker. all in all good guys in that situation.

never had another good experience with the cops before or after that event though.

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
Just a knife (Frosts Mora), but am considering getting some pepper spray. It seems to make good sense to have something to use in the space between your words and your knife.

It's great that y'all have had good experiences with the cops. Especially Mouse, that sounds really great. I have never had anything like that happen to me. Most pygs I come in contact with either don't care if I live or die, or would rather me dead. Some (especially small town cops) seem to be alright though.

It sucks that the cops are sometimes the most effective people to talk to after having trouble. But it's always a risk, if you need help, but are breaking ANY tiny law, you are at their mercy. I have never called the cops, and I would love to swear that I never will, but unfortunately I may have to someday.

bote

Reaction score
i carry a knife and sometimes an asp (collapsable baton) but i feel like weapons should be kept out of the equation unless you fell like the persn you are dealing with deserves to die for tehir transgressions. Basically, i will keep my knife in the pocket and go toe to toe if i don`t think im facing an unfair, bad person. I am from a town where people like to fidtfight andon some fundamental level, though i don`t like fighting, i understand this impulsee and accept it. sometimes people need physical contact and you`d be surprised the good that could come out of it. if it`s a fair fight.

thunderson5

Reaction score
never carried anything myself while i was hitching although i honestly dont know why?but i have a pretty cool sword collection going thats pretty cool.have a set of samurai swords and a gladius,thats a roman type sword its my favorite and a musketeer style one thats mainly a wall hanger

Rash L

Reaction score
Knife.. I used to carry pepper spray when I was underage (My mom gave it to me) but a cop took it away and I haven't gotten any since then... but thinking about it before my next time out.

ahhhh... COPS. I have actually called them a few times, but it has never turned out good, at least in this city (Oceanside, CA). The first time they didnt even report the stop as they are supposed to, and they didnt help at all, mostly made fun of me and my friends. The second time they gave me the run around... telling me that I could press charges and transferring me all over the place for 2 hours until I got to some rude woman who pretty much bitched me out and told me there was nothing she could do for me. I ran away when I was young the cops literally told my mom to just go home and take a bubble bath... so now she hates them too. BUT.. thats this city, hell... the cops here will threaten to kill you just as often as they threaten to arrest you, or at least "Beat you until you wish you were dead". I would rather deal with LAPD and get sent to Twin Towers than deal with O'side PD.

camthecrusty

Reaction score
As far as weapons go, I would suggest a moderate knife along with pepper spray, a back-up knife, or a blunt weapon such as brass knuckles or a tactical baton.

As far as cops go... it's really a gamble of where you are , who they are, and the situation. there are cool cops out there that will give you a break, but there are just as many bad and corrupt ones. so it's more of a last resort thhttp://squattheplanet.com/images/smilies/imyourfather.gifing for me.:vader:

M

Mouse

lol seriously!

I don't think I've ever really looked at my knife like a weapon. it's more of a tool. it cuts my apples, twine, ect lol. so me carrying a knife isn't very effective because I probably wouldn't use it when the time came lol.

i need to get pepper spray. no mistaking what that's there for. unless my food is bland I think I'll use it only for what it's intended use is.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
My favorite item that I actually carry around with me is my U-lock, but other than that, knives. If I'm moving about, I'll pick up anything like a nice rock or rail spike, whatever seems sturdy enough to throw or whack. I'm bigger on improvised weapons than with items designed to be used as weapons because of the legal aspects. And cops have never really helped me that much, I've used them to remove human remains that I stumbled upon, but only via anonymous tips.

I have to agree with Mouse and Widerstand, batons and brass knuckles are pretty stupid things to carry around, for one thing they are pretty heavy. I mean, if you really want something solid to swing around, get a large maglite. It'll weigh you down, but you won't get arrested for it as quickly as with batons or knuckles.

Strider

Reaction score
For self defense I carry a knife on my hip, and a bandanna smiley in my pocket. I'm surprised no one has mentioned smileys. They are good if you want to get the job done without killing someone (99.9% of the time the best option)... Thankfully I have never had to use either one.

S

spectacular

someone told me some wise wordzzzzzz and they were "carry a weapon and you'll look for ways to use it" so i carry nothing had no problems yet

Strider

Reaction score
someone told me some wise wordzzzzzz and they were "carry a weapon and you'll look for ways to use it" so i carry nothing had no problems yet
That may be true, but I'd rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it... I'm a peaceful person by nature, and try to avoid conflict at all costs, but it's nice to know that if the shit hits the proverbial fan I have my bases covered.

MikeK85

Reaction score

No offense, but that's BS.

I am always armed and because of that I avoid needless confrontations. It's a lifestyle choice you have to make when you start carrying. In fact I quit drinking because of it (hangovers and drunk people kinda ruined it for me too :D)

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
My two cents: if you carry a weapon of any kind you should a) know how to defend yourself with it properly and b) be ready to use it when you pull it.
Technically and emotionally.
What I mean is: to have the tools a heart surgeon uses doesn't make a construction worker a surgeon in case of emergency.
So just telling people: "carry a knife" for self defense doesn't make sense. They have to be trained using this knife for self defense.
Since I'm not trained that way I won't carry a knife (as a weapon). i think it would make the situation worse in case and would likely taken away from me and used against me.
As said, only my two cents ...

S

spectacular

My two cents: if you carry a weapon of any kind you should a) know how to defend yourself with it properly and b) be ready to use it when you pull it.
Technically and emotionally.
that's the thing. i don't know how to use a weapon and am usually one to lose at fights with them, including my own hands as fists.... i'm afraid of someone taking whatever weapon i've decided to use and turning it on me and i'm spindly.. 145, low upper body strength. best bet for me is to thrash and act crazy and run

S

spectacular

No offense, but that's BS.

I am always armed and because of that I avoid needless confrontations. It's a lifestyle choice you have to make when you start carrying. In fact I quit drinking because of it (hangovers and drunk people kinda ruined it for me too :D)
just like it's a lifestyle choice to not carry at all. makes one all the more aware of one's surroundings. besides if some creepo who wears good sneakers is intent on trying to kill me, there's a good chance that me fighting back with a weapon isn't going to stop them (esp since i don't know how to).

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I tend to carry Bear Spray. Very god damned effective. For that night where I need to fend of a group of tweekers.....

A

Arketype87

I carry two fixed blade knives in a belt sheath, and I refer to them as my "tools," especially if confronted by local authorities in towns/cities. I just keep the sheath outside my pocket and visible. And of course my walking staff, ;)...

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
As far as weapons go, I would suggest a moderate knife along with pepper spray, a back-up knife, or a blunt weapon such as brass knuckles or a tactical baton.

As far as cops go... it's really a gamble of where you are , who they are, and the situation. there are cool cops out there that will give you a break, but there are just as many bad and corrupt ones. so it's more of a last resort thhttp://squattheplanet.com/images/smilies/imyourfather.gifing for me.:vader:

I wouldn't recommend blunt weapons. You can always defend yourself by saying your knife is for wood cutting/food sclicing etc, but a brass knuckle? Doubt the pigs will believe you when you tell them it's for cracking nuts open

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I carry two fixed blade knives in a belt sheath, and I refer to them as my "tools," especially if confronted by local authorities in towns/cities. I just keep the sheath outside my pocket and visible. And of course my walking staff, ;)...

That sounds like a great combo. Specially the staff. I have had that in mind before. Good reach and useful defense if you know how to use it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads