Punknomad Camp at Rainbow Gathering.

P

Pheonix

I usually got there as soon as they make the final decision and would like to do the same this year, but my schedule is still up in the air.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
this sounds awesome, but i doubt ill be able to make it though :(

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
I can bring a few big ole bags of rice for sure. I might be a little on the late side but I will be there. Should we get a list going of what we would need / what people can bring for our kitchen?

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i might be down. keep me updated! i will be there either way.

Monica Danger

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums, and this year will be my first Gathering. I'm just kind of taking things as they come right now. I definitely hope to meet up with some of you folks there to make some new friends.

P

Pheonix

So I'm thinking we will have less harassment from the law if we call it the "Punk Nomad Camp" instead of calling it a kitchen. We should still be able to have a campfire and we can cook over it to feed members of the camp, but I'm just remembering that it's the kitchens that get most of the government harassment. I guess they think if they can make the kitchens leave then everyone else will follow.

mAlice

Reaction score
Right now, I'm thinking of what kind of supplies to bring for a kitchen. I have a 22 quart stock pot, some digging and wood cutting tools, camp shower and many other tools.
Buckets at least 3 (1 for dirty hands, 1 for dirty dishes, and one for the bleach at least), wheel barrows are helpful for moving shit back and forth all the time like water. Huge water containers, bleach, Cookware (der), lots of rope, tarps, coolers, shovels (better to put your coolers in pits), rags for bleach water etc....shit for the top of your fire pit like grill tops n whatnot, cookie sheets/pan thingers are always good to just throw something on when you're cooking. Never forget something to specifically have your coffee brewed in, just for coffee all day long. Simple med stuff for when you cut your finger off and they're out of supplies. Bug spray if you want... nothing gets bugs like a pit of rotting food... idk, you can never really have enough until you realize how much shit you gatta break down when it's over. Good Luck.

P

Pheonix

I hitchhiked in and out of all the gatherings I've been to and every time I noticed a non-organized hitchhiker camp gets set-up at the beginning of the parking lot where hitchhikers are looking for a ride to town for supplies or leaving and flying a sign to get a ride across country. Every time I hitched out of the gathering I thought about setting up a "hitchhiker camp" at the end of the parking lot. This time I will be rubber tramping my way in and wonder if this would be a good camp to start since many of us are hitchhikers and rubber tramps. So what does everyone else think about a "Punk Nomad Hitchhiker Camp"?

RockyTheFlyingSquirrel

Reaction score
Heading to the gathering too, Amber? I've been going over my shit again and again, I'm gonna be cutting it real close without some ace gas juggers to help out. Plus it's gonna be kinda cramped on a bench seat in a ford ranger, lol. Max capacity is 2 passengers, and one of them would have to be a tiny female. Looks like you might be fitting the bill.

RockyTheFlyingSquirrel

Reaction score
Definitely a good option, just calculated the gas mileage and I can easily make it with minor gas jugging if the east coast serves me badly like it has in the past. I'll be leaving from Rochester. Caravan sounds awesome. If I can get a passenger, we should plan a place to meet up. I got a GPS, so all I need is an agreed location and an address. If you guys have a place you're crashing or camping at now, I can try and make it to New Paltz and we can all leave together. Drop me a message.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
would someone be willing to take some pictures and share stories of the camp here after the gathering? it would make for a great blog post... wink-wink-nudge-nudge :p

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
haha awesome... i wish i could join ya'll at rainbow, but ive made plans to go to plan-it-x fest in bloomington around the same time.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads