Portland -> North (1 Viewer)

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
Where's a good spot to hitch north out of Portland on I-5?

Apologies if this is on here somewhere else, my internet is spotty so I didn't search.

Thanks!

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

compass

Lost
Hey, I found a ride from SLO all the way to Tacoma. Not sure when we're rolling through, but maybe we could pick you up. One of the people riding is bailing in Portland so...

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
The on-ramps south of Portland down near Wilsonville or the ones at the north end of Vancouver work best. All the exits right in Portland tend to be really bad for hitching cause they have no place for potential rides to pull over.
If your asking though because your heading to Folklife PM me, you might be able to catch a ride out with me if your going on Friday.

OP
macks

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
Sweet, thanks for the PM about the ride. And the info about ramps, never gone anywhere but S out of Portland hitching before.

I hitched north from the Everett 405 N ramp once, but that was quite late at night with no following traffic for the driver who stopped.

I'll second the advice about hopping out of Vancouver, or maybe south in Wilsonville, though Vancouver is easier to reach. Take Yellow Line Max train north to Vanport, then #4 C-Tran bus or walk under I-5 and catch the pedestrian path north if late night, to Vancouver.

veggieguy12

The Captain
In Vancouver, I stood in the apex of I-5 and an off-ramp once, got me a ride all the way to Seattle. Illegal, but I recall being passed by a small handful of law enforcement vehicles, none of which bothered me.
Also have used an I-5 on-ramp in Vancouver, the 39th Street one, that got me to Federal Way, WA. The on-ramp at E. Mill Plain Blvd. looks like it might pay-off.
Or how about the on-ramp from Jantzen Beach/Hayden Island, OR? Talked to a guy I saw waiting there, and eventually he got a ride somewhat north...

OP
macks

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
Woah, didn't think this would be revived. I usually take the CAP and would direct anyone interested in this to other threads on this site as it has come up a bunch, but it's a good bet for weekdays. We were trying to get to Seattle ASAP starting S of Portland a bit so we couldn't get the CAP that day. Anyway, Angela hooked it up and let us tag along in her van! Will keep the forementioned onramps in mind for next time though thanks for the tips!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
casiohno Seeking Couch seeking couch/overnight parking on drive north to portland Crust Surfing 2
Coywolf Video Portland, OR to Nampa, ID: UP's Northwest Corridor Train Hopping 0
Matt Derrick [Jul 15, 2011] North American Hitchgathering 2011 (Portland, OR) Events / Gatherings / Festivals 1
Linda/Ziggy Hitching NORTH out of Portland/Eugene (HWY 5) Hitchhiking 5
Eng JR Lupo RV323 Ride Offered- Portland to Santa Cruz following the Oregon/California coast highways 101& 1. Road Dogs & Meet Up 1
PeaceAndLove Rv parking in or around portland Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping 3
Gutterbug Seeking Couch PORTLAND Seeking Collective/punk house/couch/floor/patch of ground Crust Surfing 4
H Santa monica trying to get to portland Road Dogs & Meet Up 1
Caveman118 Seeking Couch Portland oregon couch Crust Surfing 0
Milodanjo Portland to Austin asap Road Dogs & Meet Up 4
Breck Portland advice needed Money, Work & Food 4
TheTimeEnder time ender from portland, oregon - crazy person you should avoid Untrustworthy and Shady People 78
TheTimeEnder From Portland to wherever!!! :) Road Dogs & Meet Up 1
D Greetings from Portland, Orygun Introductions 21
Clem Portland to NYC: to Chi or not to Chi Train Hopping 16
GeneralCherry Greetings from Portland Road Dogs & Meet Up 4
LocalWeirdo Portland to California travel advice ? United States 5
ManUnified Seeking Couch Pct hiker fresh off the trail. In Portland OR looking for a place to crash. Crust Surfing 1
youngbuckwithapickuptruck i fell in love with a girl from new meixco who stayed in portland a lot Missed Connections 2
SeymourSparechange Portland or Colorado, Trying to Choose United States 5
beyondthepaleogender Sacremento to Portland: A beautiful ride Travel Stories 5
Maxnomad What route would you take from portland to taos-ish? Hitchhiking 17
japanarchist Couch Offered Open yard in Portland Or. Crust Surfing 11
Taming the Tiger Don’t dumpster dive Smart Food Service Warehouse in Portland Money, Work & Food 7
Honey Crust News & Blogs If you’re queer either get out or steer clear of Portland right now United States 19
FreeCheetos Homeless/rubbertramping in Portland, Oregon United States 6
Coywolf Video Portland to Seattle: BNSF's Seattle Subdivision Train Hopping 4
Coywolf Video Pasco to Portland: BNSF's Fallbridge Subdivision Train Hopping 0
Warboy Taz from Portland Missed Connections 2
Riku Anything happening in portland ME Alternative Housing 3
japanarchist Trying to start a reading group in Portland Or for those around Politics & Anarchism 3
Sandi Hello to all. Newbie here. Stranded trying to get to Texas from Portland OR/Stevenson Wa. Found you! Introductions 3
Pained where can i smoke weed all day in oregon/portland? United States 9
beginnavagabond Hitching from Laramie to Portland Hitchhiking 13
D Friend in Portland Maine Introductions 17
Belcross Oregon coast or Portland. United States 9
Rolling Blackouts RIP RAGS aka Chris Stone of Portland, OR Obituaries 4
6coexist9 queer astrology conference portland 2/16-19 Events / Gatherings / Festivals 3
rhon Hi I'm new here and am looking to go home to Portland, Oregon. Introductions 4
coltsfoot how difficult is portland yard? Train Hopping 28
gofreescout Portland => Seattle, Portland => Eugene Train Hopping 0
beginnavagabond Tips on Boulder to Portland Hitchhiking 2
MoHank Denver-Portland-Sacramento-Las Vegas Hitchhiking 0
Shwillam Cool Smaller Highways and Destinations from SLC to Portland Hitchhiking 0
japanarchist Anarres Infoshop & Community Space, Portland OR United States 2
Hylyx Photos The Oogle Express (Oakland to Portland, once again) Travel Stories 9
T Hoping she's okay (Portland, last i knew) Missed Connections 6
rooster831 Crazy ride hitchin outta Portland, OR, with Rooster and Shake! Travel Stories 4
Korn Roy from Portland Missed Connections 0
HungryLiketheRiker Stockton/Keddie to Portland?? Train Hopping 41