Oregon coast or Portland. | Squat the Planet

Oregon coast or Portland.

roughdraft

Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time in/on both...oregon coast has a lot of small towns and nature preserves/rec areas managed by several different agencies...i think coos bay is the biggest populace and i dont think it even cracks 30k residents

whereas you have Portland, only an hour drive from the coast, not the largest city but definitely huge enough - a stark contrast from anywhere on the Oregon coast

both have their pros and cons of course, and if someone knows nothing of your situation and preferences there's little advice to give...

AAAutin

Reaction score
I started in Portland; I love Portland. But Portland also gets blown the fuck up in the summer.

The Oregon Coast is pretty chill, but very wet.

I say follow the weather: so if you're planning on staying until winter, then start north and head south.

roughdraft

Reaction score
to give a more straightforward answer i agree with everyone prompting the coast over Portland

especially during the summer you're gonna have such a quality time

east of Brookings not too far inland there's some redwoods

Lincoln City area i found particular nice

and plenty in between...many many seastacks and awesome forests

Reactions: BrianC503

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Portland has its upsides, but it's changing fast in a bad way. Especially for folks trying to live low.
It's been my home base for about 15 yrs--housed, housless, rubber tramping, etc.
If you end up here, let me know. I can help you navigate shit.

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Hey...we are a couple in our 40s..living in our truck. Need to find a decent place to park every night...We could pay $50 a week just for a quiet spot to park at night.. Any help would be most appreciated.. Navigating pdx like this is stressful..so any advice would be welcome. Thanks a Million
I'm willing to talk about a driveway deal, but I have to check with my housemates first
In the meantime, Parkrose Transit Center was a consistently good spot for me. Usually tried to roll in after dark. By morning, it's packed so little attention to car camping.
They have a 24-hr limit, but never saw any enforcement.
I'm now housed very close to there, so hit me up either way.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads