official fishing thread

P

Pheonix

I looked and couldn't find a thread all about fishing exempt 1 in the pictures section that is more for bragging about your catch with pictures. and I kinda took it into fishing in general but I think a fishing thread belongs in the wilderness squatting section, so I'm starting this thread as a general fishing thread.

plz feel free to post your stories, tips & techniques, bragging pics, strategies, or questions here.

I plan on fishing my pond tomorrow and will take pics and post a story about it. my pond has some good bass and catfish fishing and I've read that hot dog pieces are great bait for catfish so thats what I'll be using tomorrow

wartomods

Reaction score
i have a spinning rod, with a little bobber and some plain hooks, what would be the best set up to add a little weight so i could cast it further away, i am not quite sure how to use lead weights.

P

Pheonix

using the typical pac-man looking sinkers you put the line in the mouth and squeeze it closed. these are the only sinkers I've ever used and they come in all different sizes. I like that you can take them off without cutting the line just use i pair of pliers to squeeze the back to open it back up. they also make weighted bobbers. hope that helps

wartomods

Reaction score
but how do you configure the sinker in the line, does it go after the hook or in between the hook and bober

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com
sinker in between the bobber and hook. Usually bout a couple inches above the hook so that if you are using say live minnows they are able to move around freely.

P

Pheonix

for me it don't matter where I put the sinkers cause the crappy sinkers just get pulled down the line when they snag on all the seaweed and algae in my pond. also I don't use a bobber

14581-dscf0050.jpg

14578-dscf0048.jpg

didn't catch nothing this morning does anybody know the best time of day the fish for catfish and bass. I just had a bad day with about 6 snags and the tip of my pole broke had to cut it right above the next eyelet

wartomods

Reaction score
from what i was told the sinker and the bobber give you the ability to cast and bait much further away from the shore.

P

Pheonix

I've found if I use plastic worms or some other lightweight bait and not much sinkers that it will skim the surface and avoid any hardcore snags and if it does snag the weeds it will just put them up and I'll reel them in. most of the snags today were from the high wind blowing my bait and hooks up into the trees. the problem with the algae and weeds is it makes it harder to tell if I got a bite or a snag.

hey babe you come to this log often
14579-dscf0065.jpg

CanoeTramp

Reaction score
Thank you Pheonix for starting a fishing thread. That's one weedy pond you got. I've always used weedless top water lures like grass frogs or scum frogs in slop like that. A Texas rigged soft plastic worm is a good rig for fishing in heavy weeds. I usally shove a round toothpick in the hole of the worm weight and cut it off near flush w/ the front of the weight,- keeps it in place tight against the worm-hook, and not sliding up and down the line. Favorite lures are, Beatle Spin w/ twister tail plastic grub,- tiny ones for panfish, and larger ones for larger fish. shallow running stick baits like Rapalas or Smitwicks,- great for both bass and northern in shallow, not so weedy lakes and ponds. Salted white Tube bait,- aka gitzit, - great for bass. Deep running crank baits that rattle,- Hot & Tots. are good for river and lake walley and bass. Also Hofmann's frizz's spoon or a tiny trout jig baited w/ a small minnow or a wax morm fished under a slip float,-great for crappies large bluegils and bass. The frizzs I'll real up the line to the bottom of the slipfloat or the slit shot , and then let if fall, letting it rest for only a few seconds before I real it up again , doing this until I reach the side of the boat or dock. - If a fish bites it's almost always on the fall. - works best in clear water. Try fishing on over cast days , early mornings , just before sun down , and at night. - you should catch more fish.

P

Pheonix

good luck angel I think I will be fishing tomorrow too. the heavy rains on monday separated the algae so from now on I'm gonna try to fish the day after a heavy rain. ohh wait its a pain in the ass to use my fishing pole now that the tip broke off, I guess I won't be fishing till I buy a new rod and reel. any ideas on what tackle to get for bass and catfish?

Detrivore

Reaction score
spinner bait for bass, its more fun to use to. In am not sure I should be giving advice since i have been fishing every week for 6 months and have only caught 2 fish. Too many goddamn "sportsman" overfishing everything.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads