official fishing thread

Tonkor

Reaction score
Good stuff. A few tips not mentioned yet are if you need a bobber you can use a blower up piece of bubble gum (if you don't have much weight) or a pop bottle. For the pop bottle you have to make sure you don't have too much boiancy (so you can see the bite), so if its not sensitive enough you just unscrew the cap, put water in and reseal. Keep testing it until you have the right balance. Just tie the line around the neck rim just under the cap or place it over the drinking hole and tighten the cap over it (this is easier to adjust your bait depth rather than untying it when you want to adjust depth). To fix a rod tip, get a paperclip , straighten one leg out about 1 inch, wrap around a small sticks couple times and then straighten the rest out in a straight leg parallel to the first one. Bend the loop up 90 degrees and trim the excess second leg to the same length as the first. Then just place it at the tip and tie it on tight with line, tape or super glue it. The action of the rod won't be quite the same but you will still be able to catch dinner. In the spring/summer when bass are bedding its usually impossible to get a bedding bass to bite. Try a salamander lure. Flip it past the bed and work it slowly onto the bed. The bass won't bite but they will defend the bed. With this in mind, once the lure is on the bed use your finger to tickle the line to make it look like its moving its head/eating eggs. The bass will dart down and smash the lure with its mouth... don't set the hook yet. keep wiggling the line just a bit. The bass might hit it a few more times but be patient. The bass just smashes the lure trying to kill it. stop wiggling it and the bass will suck up the lure to move it off the bed and "clean house". Let a little line out to give him slack so he can move it. Once you see your line move about a foot set the hook and hold on because your in for a fight! Most will toss a lure, feel the smash and mistake it for a hit, set the hook and never get a bedding bass because the bass never has it in their mouth. This is a top secret pro bass tournament tip that has won many a tournaments so use this wisdom wisely, Young Grasshopper ;0) Basics for most fish(ring), fish just before it rains or storms... the fish can feel the barometric pressure building and feed good to wait out the storm, fish at dusk and dawn when the weather will be warm, fish deep or in shade when its hot out, shallow in mild climate, get near logs/brush/lily pads to pull out bigger pan fish (crappir, blue gill, etc) or bass, look for beaks (where it goes from one depth to a deeper depth quickly) and fish along the edge or pull from the shallow across the break. When using spinnerbaits; crank baits and similar lures try to make it look like a hurt fish, make several passes alternating the speed/jerking techniques as well as the depth. Vary your lures color and style until you have luck and then work that bait all over. If you don't have a bobber or way of making one you can set your sinker at the bottom of the line and tie your hook from a short piece of line 5-15in above attached to the main line, then keep the line tight so you can feel the bite.. You can use this method to attach more than one baited lines as well, just space the lines apart so they don't get tangled. While river fishing with this set up use a large, FLAT object for a sinker so your line doesn't roll to the shoire line every few finutes. If you don't have a sinker, a washer or several washers work great. You can "chum" (scatter food in an area to draw fish in while having the same bait on in the same area) with all kinds of animal guts, corn, marshmallows, old stale food, (try everything you aren't going to eat). Also, you can dig for worms or larva. Look under rocks, stumps, logs and around fresh looking healthy plant roots. Pull up a plant and dig around the roots. Stick bugs on a hook and let it sit on top of water. To run a trout line get a long piece of rope, every couple feet tie a line down with a hook and sinker. Pick a creek or river,bait the hooks, tie each end to shot or one end to shore and the other with a jug for a bobber and a heavy weight on a piece of rope just long enough to reach bottom. Let it set and check it every so often. You can also get a jug with a heavy weight on a long enough rope to sit on bottom, put a line/sinker/hook setup on it, bait it, toss it out and wait for the jug to move around. To retrieve it you can use a boat, walk, swim or tie a string to it to pull it in but be careful as boat motors will get tangled in it. I put weights on the pull rope every several feet to help prevent that. Remember that noise/vibrations travel MUCH better through water than through the air so try to step softly and be quiet so as to not scare fish away or make them skid dish and lose their appetite/focus from being on high alert DEFCON Red. Fish are always feeding, sure certain times are better than others but they still have to eat so don't get discouraged... just vary up the bait, your technique, your depth and the area your fishing until you have some luck. I think that's about it. I hope this helps.-Tonkor

Tonkor

Reaction score
A few more things: For the jug fishing, I make a bunch of them and toss them all out baited up. Its best to have a boat or tube to check them or just get a few nylon rope bundles and tie them to shore. For catfish, they feed at all depths (but usually have better luck on the bottom and at night) so thge jugs will work for them too. When they hit the weight and pulling boiancy sets the hook for you and keeps it set but they can drag the jugs all over so either tie them to shore or be willing to chase it down. If you catch a small bluegill you can chop it up and use for bait. If you leave it out to rot it makes it even better, they can smell it better and will eat just about anything. You can also build traps made from fallen sticks with bait in the bottom . Make it so the fish swim in the top part of the inlet and they won't be clever enough to find their way out... simple, easy, effective and you don't have to babysit it, just set and check. There are many different types of traps so research which ones would best suit your fishing spot(s).Check you local and state laws to make sure you can use the above mentioned methods if your concerned about abiding by the laws.-Tonkor

Genericdruid

Reaction score
Anyone from the UK here? It sounds like american float fishing is really basic. in England its a massive hobby and a sport. We use pole rods up to 12 meters long with a 6 foot long length of thin (2-6lb) mono-filament with a rubbered-on stick float, weighted with some No.8 shot, down to a size 18 hook baited with maggots, corn, pellets, boilies, anything really. Anyone have any experience with this method? Its very effective and cheap. Not only can you disassemble the rod down into one section of carbon fibre tube, but you can carry the rigs on tiny winders, my fishing box is tiny because I can carry twelve rigs in my vest pouches.
PoleFloats.jpg

Swillington_Pole_Fishing.jpg

N

Neandertal

I just stopped commercial fishing about a month ago and here's some gear you can use that will guarantee you never go hungry (and make some money)!

SALTWATER TROTLINES:

Target Species: Black Drum, Gafftop Catfish, Stingray, Flounder, Golden Croaker, Skipjack.

Average catch: 3 to 15 drum per line (10 to 50 lbs, worth about $15 to $100)

Bait: Wooden buttons (Seriously!) in summer, salted shrimp disks in winter, live finger mullet for flounder, live pinperch or dead squid for gaftop.

The lines are each 600 feet long and consist of a braided nylon mainline (200 to 400 lb test). String 80 to 200 stainless or bronze swivels onto this all at once, then use a large shuttle to tie nots on one side of the swivel. The other strung swivels are held against the main spool and you tie a knot on the other side and repeat the process. Next, cut 6 to 8 inch droplines from 80 lb mono and tie #5 Lazer Sharp circle hooks to the swivels. After tying each hook on, hang the hook and dropline on the inside rim of a 5 gallon bucket and coil the mainline. A lot of guys use 11 stainless Mustad circle hooks, but these are much more expensive

For floats, cut THICK foam noodles into 8 pieces and cut a spiraling slot down each of these pieces. These are slipped onto the mainline at intervals of 6 to 10 hooks and can be secured with string or caution tape. The floats are critical to keep the hook about 4 inches off the bottom, and they also jerk the line up and down with the waves, which is what causes the wood buttons to attract the fish. I'm the only guy that used actual buttons -- everyone else drills holes down dowel rods and cuts them into disks with a saw -- much more time consuming!

The lines are secured on each end either with wood stakes or small anchors and set in water knee to waist deep. Bait the lines right as it is getting dark and run them ASAP when the sun starts coming up! Carry a "flipper" to flip off hardhead catfish (and anything else you don't want) and a landing net if you don't have a boat to flip the ones you want to keep into.

PERCH TRAPS:
I've caught up to 100 baitfish (worth about $40) with EACH of these in about 45 minutes:

Target Species: Perch, Mud Minnows, Mangrove Snapper (with larger version)

Three sections of 1/2 in galvanized hardware cloth held together with zip ties. Viewed from above, the trap has a shamrock shape with slots cut on all 4 sides. T
fish trap 1.jpg

CASTNET:

Target Species: EVERYTHING!!! (But mostly mullet, butter croaker, skipjack, perch and suckers)

My favorite is an 8 ft diameter nylon braid with lead weights. I hold the net in two spots with one hand, lift one edge of the leadline and place it in my mouth, and drape about 2 ft over my other outstretched arm. I then spin around 360 degrees and throw the net entirely with the hand that is holding most of the net. It should pop open through centrifugal force and become flat like a pancake (it takes a lot of practice to get it right every single time!).

This was my biggest money maker during mullet run -- I was getting up to 200 dozen finger mullet ($200 dead, $600 live) every day, and 50 to 100 lbs of ponies (big mullet) on the side ($25 to $50).

Dipping Blue Crabs:

Gear: Headlamp, fish basket and dipnet.

Go out on a calm night and just scoop 'em up! I would get about 70 crabs in 2 hours, worth over $100.

Shallow areas near deep channels with muddy bottoms and seagrass are best.

todd

Reaction score
anything stinky on a hook at night is going to attract catfish!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads