official fishing thread

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com
Live crawdads work well for bass too. Here are a few pics of an 18 inch 4 pound bass i caught a few days ago on a crawdad.

15238-4-pound-largemouth-bass-i-caught-7-11-10.jpg

15237-4-pound-largemouth-bass-i-caught-7-11-10.jpg

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
For catfish, best time to go out is at night. Rotting meat and/or chicken livers work wonders, but just about anything smelly and food like will work. Use a treble hook big enough that you can fit your thumb between the barb and the shank. Run at least three setups if you want results, two cane poles with bells, and your spinning rig.

D

Dustin

I mostly use chicken liver for catfish. Worms work well and are easy to find in rich soil after it rains. Cheese actually works pretty good, too. I usually use a 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook and 12lb mono with a lead splitshot weight about 8 to 12 inches above the hook. Sometimes I'll use dog food, old cereal or cornmeal to chum the water. The good thing about catfish is they're bottom feeders, so you just let your bait sink and forget about it. You don't even need a fishing pole, you can just wind your line around a beer can. Learning how to rig up a trot line is an easy way to catch a shit load of catfish to feed a shitload of people or just stock up the freezer. They're a pain in the ass to clean in the field, though, especially if you don't have a good sharp fillet knife.

Beetle spins are good lures for all kinds of shit all over the country. Bass, walleye, pike, crappie, bluegill, perch, etc..

For bass I like to use a spinning lure to cover large portions of water and if I get any hits I'll run a plastic worm on a texas or carolina rig in that area. Morning is the best time for large mouths. Bass chill out where there's cover. They're predatory fuckers that hide in the shadows right where the shade meets light and attack other fish. They're aggressive bastards, when you get a strike it's often not because the fish views it as a food source, but just because it was moving around in front of him and pissing him of. If it's been a really hot day they'll usually be dormant as soon as the sun has been up for a few hours and begin feeding again in the late afternoon once it's cooled down. I've never caught a bass on live bait, but I've heard crawdads and worms are good, too.

Also, if you've got foodstamps a lot of states don't require you to have a fishing license. If you're approached by a game warden in a lot of states you can just flash your EBT card.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Yeah I like chicken livers for catfish bait too.
Thanks for that tip about the EBT card, I wonder if that works here, the game wardens are real pricks here!
They don't bother me though because I'm usually fishing late at night out in the dark, besides I swear I
catch more catfish and eels at that time.

D

Deleted member 2626

Hell yeah awesome thread. Here I use a lot of worms or powerbait for trout. Also some spinners work or crawfish lure. Crawfish lure also works well for bass too. On a scummy pond like that if it's hot the fish arent as active usually. Night might be better. Night fishin with a fire and some food waitin for a bite is fun as shit

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
i used to hang trotlines out on this river that i lived on for a couple months on an island. i would usually get shoal bass and gar. but when i always fished for catfish i would use chicken liver EVERYTIME. PUT SALT ON IT. they love that shit! i never was able to catch a catfish with the heart in the cup of chicken livers... but other fish like it.

i also love to fly fish, just don't have a reel right now. anyone else a fly-fishing fan?

D

Deleted member 2626

I agree, I'm just carrying line- wrapped around a small piece of wood. shot, and hooks on the road I've got these put into a small altoids tin but worms are less affective and I
Mite carry a bright colored lure or somthing

LeeevinKansas

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Im not gonna get into the hubbub about chemicals and bait, but when a mans hungry a mans hungry.

If you have an overabundance of flying buzzies but not enough worms.... get HAIRSPRAY.
A few short bursts and said insect will drop out of the sky. then you got yourself yer bait.

Forget Flyswatters, bc they squish your bait anyways.

second, a short guide on easy to make fishing rods.
What you need:

1. Get fishing string. 8-12 lb line is the best since we are using branches.
2. Get 1 inch hooks. I find these work best in most situations. (or make them out of fence wire watever)
3. Get knife/blade
4. Trees

Step One
Proceed to finding yourself a good strong wood for the pole. Oak or Black Oak, Honeylocust (if you can avoid the thorns and get to the inner bark) any Maple tree, and red cedar if you got a strong enough arm and blade (as cedar is a pain to carve fresh), are all good common trees to use for poles. I dont know what experts use but I know these are fine replacements in the wild.

Get a branch in legth according to terrain. If you are fishing off a riverbank, 6 ft max should suffice. If you are fishing off a bridge or ledge, etc, 7 or 8 ft is better suitable, as the weight from realing in the line/bait or letting it hang really will break off the end of a shorter pole.

Keep in mind it is best that at least the first 1 - 2 ft of the end of the branch (opposite the part you hold), is curved moderately downwards. Avoid using branches that curve downwards by mean of a seperate attached branch to the main body of the pole.

CARVE IT DOWN AS SMOOTHLY AS POSSIBLE. No exp needed to carve. With common logic use your blade to smooth the woody bark off. Youll know when its doen bc you will be able to see the newer oranger redder bark underneath. Your hand should be able to run along th epole without getting a splinter.

Step Two
Using common sense geustimate how much string will be needed. Remember to include the length of your pole twice (onece for stringing, once for hanging down the length of the pole while fishing), and also the distance youd like to reach your bait in the water (cast)

Step Three
When you have cut off the string (usually between 15-30 ft), tie one end repeatedly to the Handle part of the pole, about 8 inches - to 12 inches up the pole from the base of the handle. adjust to comfortable ness .

Step Four

Now that you have one end of the line attached securely to the pole, you should have the trailing other 20 ft of string etc. Be careful to keep this from getting tangled. It is a nightmare otherwise.

Take the end of the string closest to the pole, and make half knots every 3 to inches up the pole. 3 inches for short poles, 6 inches for big poles. the closer the halfknots are to each other, the easier your rod will break. Space the halfknots out evenly across the pole.

Step Five
at the end of the rod, the part that should be curved, use your knife to make 2 notches in the pole, one about 1 inch past the last halfknot, and try to make it as deep as possible, without going halfway through the pole bark. Make the 2nd notch on the actual end, of the pole, and string the rest of the line through this when fishing. When your not fishing, the string should be kept wrapped around the first notch you made. Most hooks can be pressed into the pole and they will stay when being unused.

To cast simply bait your hook, and throw the bait by hand out into the water.
For weights you can tie a rock around the line near the hook, allthough it is tricky. A leave can be used for a bobber. Etc.

Reactions: Odin and Dishka8643

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
Just posted this in the media section, it's one of the best primitive fishing videos I have ever watched.
[medio]263[/medio]

And there's another one in which he shows you his kit.
[medio]262[/medio]

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Ait, so I'm winter riding/camping and I have a strong urge to try my luck at ice fishing. Thing is it will be done with the bare min. I've never ice fished before (cant say I've fished all that much) so any advice would be nice.
I will literally have fishing line and a hook which I will tie to a stick. I am planning on stopping at a CC in a town that has a bait shop so I can get minos ( I hear that's best). I'm also hoping they dont ask if I have a fishing licence..but that's besides the point.
My other issue is making a hole without any hardcore tools but that's a straight forward problem..aside from that anyone on here ever ice fish? Any tips?

Unslap

Reaction score
Were you high when you wrore this? I am baked right now and can really understand the desire to go ice fishing.
Ive never been asked for a license buying bait.
I doubt if you will be able to get a hole in the ice, but canadians can do tons of crazy shit. Tell us how it went

P

Pheonix

Ait, so I'm winter riding/camping and I have a strong urge to try my luck at ice fishing. Thing is it will be done with the bare min. I've never ice fished before (cant say I've fished all that much) so any advice would be nice.
I will literally have fishing line and a hook which I will tie to a stick. I am planning on stopping at a CC in a town that has a bait shop so I can get minos ( I hear that's best). I'm also hoping they dont ask if I have a fishing licence..but that's besides the point.
My other issue is making a hole without any hardcore tools but that's a straight forward problem..aside from that anyone on here ever ice fish? Any tips?

they make manual hand augers (or ground score an old auger bit somewhere and put a lever on it so you can twist it) to put a hole through the ice. then have a saw of some sort that can fit down the hole and use it to make the hole bigger (if needed)

ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN ICE FISHING

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Were you high when you wrore this? I am baked right now and can really understand the desire to go ice fishing.
Ive never been asked for a license buying bait.
I doubt if you will be able to get a hole in the ice, but canadians can do tons of crazy shit. Tell us how it went

ahaha, no man sadly sober as fuck. Never got to give it a go this year. It was such a mild winter and by the time I got out (feb) the ice wasn't even thick enough to walk on..Did lots of drinking by the fire though, which is about as great as it gets........so next year I guess.

P

Pheonix

Explosives.... I got nothing good thread

fishing with explosives is stupid and any of us would be considered a terrorist if we were caught with explosives, if you want to go out like a terrorist on an awesome fishing trip then steal a Stun Boat from Department on Fish & Game.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads